The gain knob sets the voltage sensitivity of the amplifier.

It doesn't do anything else.  At all.  No matter who tells you different.  At all.  Seriously... 

There is nothing at all wrong with having it cranked WFO if that is how your system works best...

i understand now, i had always thought it worked differently. since removing bass boost and repairing the port that was to wide on its vertical leg the bass is much more responsive and much more clear. also seems a bit louder as well.

Psycho-acoustics are a bitch. Just don't ask the idiots that over pay for mediocre shit and then claim it is the greatest thing ever because they heard a change.

would a amp meeter on the power wire be a reliable way to have a visual reference of possible clipping? at 202A the amp would be at max power. so if I see the draw go above 202 I would know its trying to make to much power. right?

No. Your ears are pretty good clip indicators. Train them and use them.

would a amp meeter on the power wire be a reliable way to have a visual reference of possible clipping? at 202A the amp would be at max power. so if I see the draw go above 202 I would know its trying to make to much power. right?

No.  Never.

You can run your amp into hard clipping at 100 amps draw at a 4 ohm load...

Like everyone is telling you, your ears will serve you best.  Looking for visible clipping on an O' scope or with some type other type of distortion indicator isn't just pointless, but it's asinine...  Here's why...  If you listen to any popular music on any FM radio station it is heavily compressed (clipped) from the get-go, before it evens leaves your head unit.  I just don't mean a little bit, it is clipped all to hell...  Most rap CDs are the same, MP3's, even worse...

This is why trying to chase that threshold of a little distortion is so pointless that I don't even understand where people get this crap.  A little clipping doesn't hurt a thing, if it did, everyone who listens to the radio would blow their speakers...

Manufacturers have to play it safe and tell you to stay away from clipping and that it will ruin their drivers.  They only do this because there are too many morons out there who don't know when enough is enough, not because they actually believe the info they are giving you...

i took some picks of my install, this is pretty much every critical area so you can see how i have it setup. some of the parts i had to unbolt and pull down to get a picture of but it still is pretty accurate to how its hooked up while driving around: http://imgur.com/a/Xrngj

Bro, no offense, but that wiring scares me.  I cannot believe you don't have more problems.  When you dress wiring as sloppily as that, you are just asking for issues...

so what would a better way be? wires are all soldered and bolted to there respective terminals.

gut and re-do correctly .. shit is scary looking .. it looks like some of your connections are bad causing heat  by the pics,  looks like a few are soldiered but not crimped aswell... always soldier and crimp

I see so many potentials for shorts just do to improper cable dressing...  I am seriously surprised you haven't smoked one of the amps yet...

I'm sorry I lol'd. That is terrifying to me.

38243050.jpg

i was tought to solder but not crimp.

you got any videos that show the "proper" way?

solder is great and all.. but we all know how it works right?  heat.... and if you do not get the wire and the lug hot enough then the result is a cold joint.... worthless......

also.. a bad/lose connection.. or a  over load causes.....  thats right.. heat.. and heat does what to solider?..  yup.. will cause it to fail....

crimp then solider IMO.

i was tought to solder but not crimp. you got any videos that show the "proper" way?

Google does