Sign in to follow this  
Jasonc13

Electrical Wiring Advice wanted

Hello all,

Would you mind giving wiring advice for my Pontiac G6?

Here is what I currently have:

1 yellow top in engine bay, no rear battery yet.

Big 3 done with knuconcept 1/0

1 run of power wire to trunk

I am grounding off frame in trunk, but when I tested the impedance I got a low # (don't remember exact #)

Standard alt

I will be running 2 Xcons 12s D1, with most likely a BC3500.  I have a BC2000 for now.  These will be trunk mounted with fold down seats.

I will be buying a amp for the component speakers, not sure what yet?

This is a daily driver, so I want it to get as loud as possible while still sounding tight over a wide array of music.  I mainly listen to 1)bassy house stuff, 2) rock (Marylin, rob zombie)  and 3) rap.  I do run the system full tilt on the highway for up to 45min some days.

My questions:

I was thinking I needed 2 batteries, correct?  Which ones?

Do I need 2 runs of power wire to trunk?

Should I add 1 run of ground wire to the trunk?  Any issue running the front & power runs next to each other as long as protected well?

Do you have any issues with circuit breakers?  I do like the ease of cutting off the power with them, when working on things.

Should a high amp alternator be on the "to Buy" list as well?  (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes here)

I know its a lot of questions, but I like to thorough before dropping big chunks of $$ (at least in my mind it is).

Thanks for taking time to point me in the right directionmorepower1.gif

Jason

Edited by Jasonc13

batteries are reserve.

alternator would be your best bet with a smaller pulley.

i believe 1 run of 1/0 is good for 250A-300A or so.

As if heats up tho you get more resistance which cuts down on that, so thats why people run mulptiple runs in my opinion.

run one run of 2/0 cable.

I would get a H/O alt with a large group 31 (like diehard platinum or xs 3100) with single run of 2/0 cable like Pmureika said. If voltage still drops, add another battery.

I have some 2/0 welding supply cable for sale too.

A large battery is going to take longer to recharge.

So a smaller batt up front and a large in the trunk would work just fine.

So keep your reg batt up front and put the bigger one in the trunk.

I would go with the alt as the first thing for sure(250a+) and like pmureika said 1 run of 2/0(go with welding cable) and a G31 batt(I have the XS XP3000's and love 'em) when you go with the 3500 just add another G31 and maybe another run of cable. About the circuit breakers. http://www.bcae1.com/cirbrakr.htm Good read, and at bottom of the page talks about reliability vs fuses.

Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

New alternator and 2/0 wiring it is. Thanks guys! Do I need to run a 2/0 ground wire as well, or does this depend on voltage drop?

Bassnk, if you would pm your prices on wire, im interested.

I would go with the alt as the first thing for sure(250a+) and like pmureika said 1 run of 2/0(go with welding cable) and a G31 batt(I have the XS XP3000's and love 'em) when you go with the 3500 just add another G31 and maybe another run of cable. About the circuit breakers. http://www.bcae1.com/cirbrakr.htm Good read, and at bottom of the page talks about reliability vs fuses.

Good read on breakers, thanks Proof!  Fuses it is.

Mecman is leading the race for a new alt.  Should I just get the 320a big daddy in case I go even bigger in a year or two?  I'll have the $ for that next week.

Ordered some 2/0 welding wire.  I just bought enough ground wire to go from the amp to the frame in the trunk, and a few runs in the engine bay.  Is this adequate, or do I need a full run from amp to the front battery?

I need a good voltage meter, what do you guys recommend?  I see stinger getting used often. 

Good read on breakers, thanks Proof!  Fuses it is.

Mecman is leading the race for a new alt.  Should I just get the 320a big daddy in case I go even bigger in a year or two?  I'll have the $ for that next week.

Ordered some 2/0 welding wire.  I just bought enough ground wire to go from the amp to the frame in the trunk, and a few runs in the engine bay.  Is this adequate, or do I need a full run from amp to the front battery?

I need a good voltage meter, what do you guys recommend?  I see stinger getting used often. 

Stinger is a good choice, but then you need a calibrated meter to dial it in.

To be accurate.

I you can afford it go with a 320amp alternator.

Edited by pmureika

Go with the biggest alt you can especially if there's a chance you'll go bigger later. The stinger gauge is what I have and it works fine just need a DMM to adjust it.

No problem with calibrating, I have a craftsman DMM.  Obviously not top of the line, but should be fine.   Thanks for confirmation on the alt, luckily we're getting some overtime in this weekend tooadhd.gif  

That should do it on the electrical upgrades, until I can save up for the BC3500.........or should I just get the 5500?   Lol

On to box building for beginners...  Great news on this end!  With a quick cardboard fab today, I think I'll be able to get 7.6ft^3 gross.  I'm pumped the Xcons can breath.2oho.gif

Where would you suggest I go with this,   Build logs?

Take a ton of pictures and start up a build log!

yep- build logs rock.  Can't wait to see the build.

Take a ton of pictures and start up a build log!

Ok, I can do that!  I have soo many questions on box design, I hope you all don't get annoyed with mesigh.gif sigh.gif

2 more wiring questions here 1st:  What is the best solder to use for lug installation on cable?  Are some flux brands that are better than others?

And 1 non elecrtical question:  What jig do you recommend for cutting sub holes with a router?  No way I trust my free hand skills with a jigsaw.

Thanks!

Edited by Jasonc13

New wire is here :)  Would anyone mind recommending quality solder and flux?

Thanks

goto home depot, menards ect

goto the plumbing section and pick up a torch, solder, and flux.

they probably have a kit with all three already in it.

but rosin core solder not acid core would be the biggest factor in my opinion.

im just not a fan of acid core.

flux is the same in this application not like ur soldering a 100$ circuit board.