slowwrx137

Need help picking a Sub

I need some help deciding which sub would be my best choice based on my situation.

I was originally set on buying 1 12" Fi Q and putting it in a sealed box but the more I read the more I see people choosing the Fi BL and using a ported box as it seems to get louder.

I've talked myself into the BL over the Q but after looking at the cut sheets in the technical section I dont think I can comfortably fit the 12" BL ported box in my trunk without giving up a lot of it (Lexus is250), but I could fit the 10" BL ported box comfortably.

So which would be a better choice?  A 12" Fi Q or a 10" Fi BL?

Also I'm not sure if I can post ebay links but wanted to get opinions on this ported box if it matched the 1.2 cubic feet @ 32Hz of the 10" BL cut sheet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS250-Ported-Vented-Sub-Enclosure-Subwoofer-Box-Tuned-32hz-/261028027775?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3cc67b9d7f&vxp=mtr#ht_2071wt_1219

"Better" for what?

Maybe not better, which one will get louder/deeper?  12" Q sealed or 10" BL ported

"Better" for what?

Maybe not better, which one will get louder/deeper?  12" Q sealed or 10" BL ported

Louder and deeper are contrary goals.

Right, from what i've read the Q will get deeper but the BL will get louder.

Maybe I should have asked if a 12" BL would get a lot louder than the 10" BL given the same amount of power? both in ported boxes based onFi specs.

Originally I was set on the 12" Q in a sealed box but I dont want to be dissappointed in the loudness of it being focused on "SQL" vs spl.

I'm not opposed to getting a new amp but I currently have a 1250wrms x 2 ohm Kicker amp that I was planning on using.

A ported 10 or 12 will likely give you more of the sound you are looking for. Every sealed setup I have done sounded great, but always left me wanted alitttle more. Thats really a tough question for anyone to answer for you

A ported 10 or 12 will likely give you more of the sound you are looking for. Every sealed setup I have done sounded great, but always left me wanted alitttle more. Thats really a tough question for anyone to answer for you

x2, I love how my sealed enclosure sounds but I miss the output of my ported enclosure. Its gonna come down to personal preference really.

Edited by jay-cee

run ported ! The BL is a great sub, and is accurate on music. A friend of mine is running 2 in a 4ft3 net enclosure on 3000 w : it's fantastic !!!

You don't need to have the maximum/optimum volume to enjoy it.

A 2 ft3 ported enclosure is enough and can fit in the trunk easily, usually, for a 12". 

x2, I love how my sealed enclosure sounds but I miss the output of my ported enclosure. Its gonna come down to personal preference really.

Thank you swift and jay-cee.  I've only ever had sealed enclosures and weather i'm running 1000 watts or 1500 watts its always left something to be desired.  I think I'm going to go with the BL in a ported box.

run ported ! The BL is a great sub, and is accurate on music. A friend of mine is running 2 in a 4ft3 net enclosure on 3000 w : it's fantastic !!!

You don't need to have the maximum/optimum volume to enjoy it.

A 2 ft3 ported enclosure is enough and can fit in the trunk easily, usually, for a 12". 

Thanks Notorious, I'm going to look into fitting the 12" BL in a slightly smaller box or end up with the 10" BL.

Edited by slowwrx137

If you give me your max dimensions I can see what would be best with the space you have.

After measuring my trunk I couldn't get close to 2.4 cuft without taking up most of the trunk for the BL12.  So I went ahead and ordered a BL10 with cooling options (couldn't pass up the free options/shipping for Black Friday).  Thanks everyone for guiding me in the right direction for my situation.