kx500_rider_1999

Problems with RLP-15's

I bought 2 15" RLP D4's a couple months ago and finished installing them in my Nissan Titan last weekend. The subs and ports are both firing upward in the cab. I have them hooked up to an elemental designs ed 9.1 amp at 1 ohm. I set the gains using a -3dB 50hz sine wave and set the output to 34.64 VAC which equates to 1200watts. The subs are in separate 2.75ft ported boxes tuned to 29Hz with 30 square inches of port area. The problem I am having is the subs dont get loud at all even though they have alot of excursion. My brothers system (in an S-10) which is 2 old sounstream spl 12's in sealed enlosures running off of a kicker kx350 blows mine away. I have an Alpine IVA-D310 head unit and have also ran the subs off of my brothers head unit which didnt make much difference. I know its not a power issue because I have a 200amp alternator and have done the big three in 0 gauge. Ive tried everything to get them to get louder but nothing helps. I thought I would sign up here and see if you guys had any more suggestions. Thanks

Check the phase on the subs. Might have one out of phase with the other.

Porting them to the floor would have been a better choice unfortunately.

I pulled the subs out of the boxes and checked the wiring with a DMM. Everything is hooked up correctly. Does having the ports and subs pointing up kill some of the output?

Try switching the polarity on one of the subs. Checking with a DMM doesn't do too much ;)

with 29hz tuning frequency and that box size with that port area, I take it the lenght of your port is 30" in each subwoofer

Is that the case?

ANeonRider, you are the best. I changed the polarity on one sub and it works great. The neighbor kid came running over to my house saying he could hear the subs in his house across the street with the doors closed and my garage door was closed too! Thanks for your quick reply!!

ANeonRider, you are the best.  I changed the polarity on one sub and it works great.  The neighbor kid came running over to my house saying he could hear the subs in his house across the street with the doors closed and my garage door was closed too!  Thanks for your quick reply!!

Not a problem, what we are here for. Now, boom responsibly.

you should get a battery (like a D size) and hook it up to the speaker wire + to + and - to - and make sure both of your subs arent out of phase. that happened to me. when you put the battery on the speaker the speaker should move out slightly, if it moves in switch the wire on both of the subs.

Thats a good idea. I dont know why one sub was out of phase with the other. I hooked it up in a 1 ohm config which meant all of the positive terminals would be tied together same with the negatives. I guess something was mismarked. The only other thing i could think of is the nine.1 is 1 channel but has two positive and two negative speaker terminals that are tied together internally to make it easier to hook up two subs and I guess one set could have not been marked right.

your first guess has to a mismarked terminal is probably the case. it happens quite a bit. whenever i install subs i always check polarity with a "speaker popper". (9 volt battry with speaker wire leads) . one more then one occasion i had happen to me exactly what you're talking about. wire everything up, double check it. no output. change polarity..BOOM! it happens bro.

glad it's fixed!!! so now your getting output, how about a short review?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

scott for the win!!!

anyway welcome to SSA and do you have any pictures of your install?

All I can say is wow! These things are loud. The bass is very clear even at full volume. I really didnt know what to expect from these except for reading the forums but I'm glad I bought them. I'll recommend them to anybody I know whos looking for new subs. Anyways here are some photos of the install in my Nissan Titan. I'm running -

2 RLP15's 2.75ft each @ 29Hz

edi 6500 component set

Elemental Designs nine.1 and nine.2x

Alpine IVA-D310 lcd screen

Iraggi 200amp alternator

Optima Red Top

Big Three in 0 gauge

whole interior sound deadened with edead v1se2

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Indeed, that is perty.

very clean, very nice!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

wow very nice install, I would love to hear that, and great choice on subs

I bet they are jealous, it looks great and I am sure sounds great now too.

geez... that's not excessive :domoslay:

does it own your brother's system now or what?

Edited by ighettoboyi

you should get a battery (like a D size) and hook it up to the speaker wire + to + and - to - and make sure both of your subs arent out of phase. that happened to me. when you put the battery on the speaker the speaker should move out slightly, if it moves in switch the wire on both of the subs.

Great tip wit the battery thing, we do this at work a lot. I can't believe we let that out the door, but it happens. We must soldered the terminals on the wrong side of eachother. No harm done, but the colors are backwards from your other speaker. Its easy to do because the voice coils are not color coated or anything, and neither are the spider leads so its a matter keep the red on the left and black on the right. I'm guessing in your case it was reversed?

In anycase, the the red wire should goto the left ternimal adn the black to the right. MAke sure you have it like that on both subwoofers. Right now you either have it like that or reversed. If if its reversed, your subwoofers will be out of phase with your car speakers. Not a huge deal but it will cause a bit of a gap in the crossover. So double check! Again, I'm really sorry about that, we shouldnt fudge up like that period!

Edited by 7

Oh yea, it destroys my brothers system. I'll have to take the subs out and check them with a battery when I get home just to make sure everythings hooked up right. I got the edi6500's hooked up last weekend and they sound great.

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

nice work on th' box.drywall screws 4tw and you need a bigger amp :domoslay: im pretty sure with 2 or 3000 wrms in there you could make yourself puke on a daily basis with low end madness. :woot:

Edited by 60ndown