re-sx-18-d3.2

How hard is it to build a box?

I use Torres and google sketch up to design my boxes and I use a circular saw, jigsaw, some clamps and a t square to build my boxes. Works great for me and the people I design/build boxes for. I can help you with a design and a 3d model of a box if you'd like.

I use Torres and google sketch up to design my boxes and I use a circular saw, jigsaw, some clamps and a t square to build my boxes. Works great for me and the people I design/build boxes for. I can help you with a design and a 3d model of a box if you'd like.

This is something I need to learn

Which part?

You are going to need $200 worth of clamps.

Do not build ANY box that isn't the manufacturers recommendations. I don't care about the power you have. Way beyond the task at hand and will just confuse you in the future.

Really a $200-300 for a box isn't expensive as long as it is done right.

No doubt clamps make it easier, but can be done without.

You are going to need $200 worth of clamps.Do not build ANY box that isn't the manufacturers recommendations. I don't care about the power you have. Way beyond the task at hand and will just confuse you in the future.Really a $200-300 for a box isn't expensive as long as it is done right.

Where are you buying your clamps? Lol...harbor frieght is a good place to get supplies if there are any near u. I spent $45 on clamps and like $20 on a t square. It makes it SO MUCH easier.

M5 is right about ignoring my posts about power and box sizing, it's a rather advanced topic and would probably result in something being broken. I have a few years aand quite a bit of experience, not to mention I was building boxes for competition with the understanding that I would most likely destroy the drivers.

I was making reference to Hoffman ' s iron law. It's a good post to read, it might actually help you achieve your goals.

Which part?

all of it lol

Which part?

all of it lol

I can try my best to help you out with all of it. We can start with Torres and how to design it then move on to 3d sketch up and last to the box.

I may put a post up.don't wanna threadjack

The RE box calculator is worthless.

With your box dimensions you need to calculate the enclosure volume taking into consideration the wood thickness, displacement of the driver, any bracing displacement, and port displacement. You also need to make sure your port area is adequate so you don't run into port noise. You also need to make sure your port length is correct for the desired tuning AND it's being calculated with the correct volume of the enclosure.

IE: the enclosure has an internal volume of 2 cubes. The sub has a displacement of 0.15cubes, so the internal volume is now 1.85 cubes. Say you want 30hz tuning and need 30in^2 of port area, and that calls for 15" of port length (these numbers are arbitrary) for 1.85cubes of volume, but the port itself displaces ~0.26 cubes, so your actual volume would be 1.59 not 1.85, which means the port length of 15" would actually raise the tuning, and you'd need to increase the port length to bring it back down to 30hz.

It's really not that hard as long as you know some basic math and have the ability to search around for what constitutes adequate port area.

It's also worth mentioning the above isn't even touching the subject of picking what enclosure volume and/or tuning would be best for an application, but rather just making a basic box.

I hope you design and build the enclosure all by yourself, that way perhaps you'll better appreciate the amount of work that goes into such and I won't have to read another one of your posts whining about peoples' pricing.

P.S. The RE calculator is worthless. If you use it and your box sucks, I told you so.

OK I won't use the RE calculator. What should I use?

I really can't afford a $300 box. I have no choice but to make it myself.

I would be willing to pay for a legitimate blueprint though. That seems fair.

I admit, I don't know how to calculate any of the things you meantioned, but I can still put the box together myself at least.

I would do it by hand so you understand how everything is being calculated and accounted for. Then use a calculator (provided it matches your calculations) for future.

I haven't used the Torres calculator so I have no input on it. You can take a look at this: http://bitpusher.in/?p=ported

You can pm me if you want to learn it then.

You can pm me if you want to learn it then.

cool thx.I may do that