ncc74656

battery replacment recomendations?

i bought 2 group 31 batteries for my truck last year, they are now dead to the point that they can not start my truck in teh cold. i do not have lots of money to spend so i am looking for advice on whawt the best batteries are with out spending 700 on stingers.

I have a cummins turbo deisel that requires about 220A for 30 seconds in cold weather to heat the air intake, it pulls 750-950A from the starter for about 15 seconds of cranking when cold.

i have 1500W of amps for mids/highs and a 2500.1 for my sub. my alt can handle them just fine while running.

what 2 batteries should i get? should i go agm for starting or stick wtih liquid acid?

AGMs have a punch but not all AGMs are the best performers.

Diehard AGMs are currently the ones suggested for local purchase.

They are around $250 per batt.

Now, the D3100 which is about $365 per battery from XS can put out 500A per batt for 30sec straight and maintain voltage down to 10.8v

Some batteries may drop into the high 9s so 10.8 is awesome.

I do not know the capability of the Diehards but there you go.

i woudl like to have a battery with threaded posts on it such as a group 31 has and AGM is what i want to try this time round.

Where did you but the batteries? Most have a decent warranty.

my group 31's were from auto zone. 1 year warranty and i got them 13 months ago... so yea

I've never seen a battery with such a ridiculous warranty...

neither had i.... but so be it, now im looking for a better one thats no so crappy.  

These dead batteries might have been what caused your amplifier problems.

perhaps. i have not gone through my install yet but i plan to in a week or two. my turbo exploded on me so im trying to find one of them to replace it with atm.

ive been looking into a few batteries and i find myself running into an issue. when i look at the group 65's wich were factory then i need to use the battery terminals and none of them have enough ports. at factory i need on one battery: neg terminal - 8ga body ground, 0ga block ground, 0ga frame ground, 12ga power block ground.  positive terminal - 0ga to other battery, 0/2 ga to starter, 4ga to power distro block.

on the other battery i have: ground - 8ga body ground, 0ga block ground, 0ga frame ground.  positive term - 0ga alternator wire, 0ga from other battery.

even running iwth NO added devices i can not find ANY terminals that can hold this.  i presently have ring terminals for my group 31's on all my batters. is it acceptable to stack my terminals and bolt them down on a single post or should i have a distro block for all this?

if a distro block is best then should i run some prefab block or build one of those strips of metal off the terminals like ive seen in youtube videos?

i will be adding ** over and above the above listed factory cables** at least 4 18-10 ga grounds and 2 0ga powers, 1 4ga power, and 4 10-18ga power wires.  there are 4 additional 0ga powers, 1 4ga power and 1 8ga power that is running off one of the 0ga power wires on each battery through a copper plate.

end question is should i go back go group 65's or should i stick with 31's?

Edited by ncc74656

would a deep cycle AGM be acceptable for a starting/stereo battery? i remember reading that AGM's can deliver much more voltage than a liquid acid.

31s, this is why I use batteries with stud terminals on them under the hood and then buy 2 prong terminals on them.  This will allow you to put about 4-6 ring terminals on each stud