jcs921

This will sound silly...

Okay, so I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with installs on a toyota prius. I've researched a little bit and can't find all that much. I'm looking to maybe get two SSA GCON 12s. And I'd like to get around a 1300 watt amp to power them. But I'm not sure how much a Prius can handle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Okay, so I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with installs on a toyota prius. I've researched a little bit and can't find all that much. I'm looking to maybe get two SSA GCON 12s. And I'd like to get around a 1300 watt amp to power them. But I'm not sure how much a Prius can handle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Not sure since technically there is no alternator on it IIRC.  You would just have to make a run to the front battery (if there is one) connect there on the 12v side and send it back. to the amplifier, you may need a second battery depending on how large the stock one is.

Thanks for the reply. The battery in a Prius is actually located in the back right behind the tail light pretty much. That would make running wires pretty easy, although I'm just trying to find out how much power It can handle before i go buying stuff. Thank you for the reply though.

Thanks for the reply. The battery in a Prius is actually located in the back right behind the tail light pretty much. That would make running wires pretty easy, although I'm just trying to find out how much power It can handle before i go buying stuff. Thank you for the reply though.

looks like its around a 46 AH battery, so presumably not a whole lot but it is a direct DC to DC stepdown from the HV batteries so it may be enough. Not entirely sure, you may need to add a larger battery. Only monitoring your voltage after install will tell you.

Yeah, I'm hoping it can handle around 1500 watts. That's all i want! I'm sick of not having any bass. Doubt there's many people who have that much power in a prius though. Hopefully there's someone in these forums that has. Thank you for your help.

Yeah, I'm hoping it can handle around 1500 watts. That's all i want! I'm sick of not having any bass. Doubt there's many people who have that much power in a prius though. Hopefully there's someone in these forums that has. Thank you for your help.

You don't need a lot of power to get loud. You can get a damn loud sub setup on 750 or less.

Lots of space in the hatch area of a prius though. You have that going for you.

Yes, plenty of space. If anyone has any recommendations on what they think would sound good, please let me know. Budget is around $1000. After reading that thread, it's looking like it could hold up. Thanks for the share

Thats going to defeat the whole purpose of a prius...just turning the heat on it drops your mpg in the city.

Edited by Dictator

Good thing I don't live in the city lol. Everywhere I drive is pure highway pretty much.

Good thing I don't live in the city lol. Everywhere I drive is pure highway pretty much.

Which is not where electric assist accels. Stop & go is where a hybrid works, for your needs a diesel would be more logical.

I would focus on the front stage more. Maybe find a component set that you like powered by the two front channels of a zed mikro. Then you could bridge the rear channels to a GCON.

Could you link me to your recommendations? A component set as well? Thank you!

Which is not where electric assist accels. Stop & go is where a hybrid works, for your needs a diesel would be more logical.
Well I just moved out to Washington, and it's my dads old 2005 prius. He was getting a new car and just decided to give it to me. Of course I wouldn't turn down a free car. I'd just like some good sounding music in it.