splxtreme

CSS SDX 12?

I'm in a real debate with myself here. The SDX sounds like a solid contender, but I'm getting out of the let's see how loud I can play my music and focus on a solid sound quality application. Not an all out SQ where I'm RTA'ing and fine tuning to a flat response, but something that will play reasonably high in the freq, and not drop off at 60hz naturally, and play relatively low, as I do listen to music that extends down to 30-25hz. I will be doing a sealed enclosure based on space saving alone. I have not bought an amp yet, as this will be the last thing i get after I purchase the sub.

I'm good at researching, however I cannot find any good info on the SDX. The Le and the low Fs sound very appealing, and also the xmax to held with those really low notes.

What I'm asking for is some real world experience and what you like about this sub. I've had my eye on the Icon and the Xcon for some time, and before I jump on one of these I'd like some subjective opinions on what you like about the SDX, or if it should be an option for what I looking to achieve. 

Thank you!

if you drive a sedan but want to avoid a large box and you need some low end extension i would consider going infinite baffle. 

here is the full spec page for the css driver. looks like a good driver but i dont know anything about it

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX12.pdf

another idea if you're going the sealed route is the dayton ultimax. 

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um12-22-12-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-512

plug some specs into winisd or some other modeling program and see what they can do. if you want to see what an infinite baffle setup could look like plug in a fi ib3 15" (10-15 cu ft sealed box). 

if you drive a sedan but want to avoid a large box and you need some low end extension i would consider going infinite baffle. 

here is the full spec page for the css driver. looks like a good driver but i dont know anything about it

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX12.pdf

another idea if you're going the sealed route is the dayton ultimax. 

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um12-22-12-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-512

plug some specs into winisd or some other modeling program and see what they can do. if you want to see what an infinite baffle setup could look like plug in a fi ib3 15" (10-15 cu ft sealed box). 

I drive an SUV. I have never heard a Dayton driver, so I'm a little hesitant. Maybe even the price makes me nervous a bit. I'm totally open to something new, but I don't mind mind spending a little more for something that is a little better. I have done an install with an Icon and it sounds great. 

so no IB then. 

strange that you have heard of CSS and not Dayton. Dayton is probably more well known to home audio folks.  

so no IB then. 

strange that you have heard of CSS and not Dayton. Dayton is probably more well known to home audio folks.  

I meant that I have never heard a Dayton driver in person. I have heard of the company. I do a lot of research before purchasing anything, and I did come across the Dayton drivers, both the Ultimax and the HO. 

I'd rather base my purchase off of experience from others than specs alone. The specs may sound great, but doesn't mean it will sound great.

so no IB then. 

I meant that I have never heard a Dayton driver in person. I have heard of the company. I do a lot of research before purchasing anything, and I did come across the Dayton drivers, both the Ultimax and the HO. 

I'd rather base my purchase off of experience from others than specs alone. The specs may sound great, but doesn't mean it will sound great.

there are plenty of shitty subs with good reviews.. 

speakers just do as they're told. and modeling is about as close to an objective comparison you'll ever get. 

so no IB then. 

there are plenty of shitty subs with good reviews.. 

speakers just do as they're told. and modeling is about as close to an objective comparison you'll ever get. 

Based on modeling, the Xcon would get my vote, as it seems to have a wider response and extends a little lower than the others I have modeled, unless I model the Dayton with the optimal box size.  The Dayton with a .707 Qtc is around 6.5 cubes for a box. IB would be great with this, but I don't have this option. 

have you considered a ported 10? an icon perhaps. does the xcon come in a 10? 

Yes the xcon comes in a 10

Edited by Stephen93s10

The T/S specs will tell you more than anything else...

Subjective opinions are one of the worst things to base a decision on. That goes for both positive and negative comments. They are dependent upon way too many factors and variables, and the reviewers personal preference may not align with yours. Objective information provides a much more level playing field.

I'd say plug them all into something like WinISD and compare the response differences in your intended enclosure and power. Then decide how their respective prices play into the decision along with the modeling. I don't think you'd be upset with any of them. The SDX and Ultimax have both peaked my interest more than once. I'm actually really surprised the SDX hasn't garnered more attention in car audio. I'd have to look at the specs again but IIRC they work well in pretty reasonably sized enclosures.