What is a good 1/0 ofc wire that is comparable to sky high car audio wire

anything special about sky high's stuff? 

i'd just get welding cable or whatever is cheapest (assuming its ofc and to spec) 

anything special about sky high's stuff?

i'd just get welding cable or whatever is cheapest (assuming its ofc and to spec)

Welding cable

Alright basically answered my questions... Wire is wire as long as it's all copper an true gauge. As far as sky high it was suggested.

I always buy Welding Cable from our local Welding Supply shop.

I cut my cables to the desired length, then take them back to the shop to get them to install the connectors.

Never had any problems with any of my vehicles or the vehicles I send their way for cable upgrades.

Those old school welders really know how to install connectors. Could I do it myself ?? Yea, but I support my friends that work at this local welding Supply shop.

With sky high your just paying for a name, nothing special about it at all.

Buy 2/0 welding cable = 1/0 car audio cable

wait.. what? since when

wait.. what? since when

at least from all my ordering. That has been the case from an total OD perspective. 

wait.. what? since when

at least from all my ordering. That has been the case from an total OD perspective. 

interesting, anyone else test this? 

wait.. what? since when

You can try for yourself. Go buy some 2/0 welding cable, then buy some RF 1/0 cable. I'm will to put money they are the same size in total OD. You can buy 4/0 welding cable, and compare it to SHCA 2/0 cable, and again, same szie. I've also confirmed this with speaker wire as well. 6 awg welding cable is the same as 8 awg car audio wire. 

Yes I'm fully aware that AWG is an american standard for measuring cable. This is simply my observance. 

wait.. what? since when

You can try for yourself. Go buy some 2/0 welding cable, then buy some RF 1/0 cable. I'm will to put money they are the same size in total OD. You can buy 4/0 welding cable, and compare it to SHCA 2/0 cable, and again, same szie. I've also confirmed this with speaker wire as well. 6 awg welding cable is the same as 8 awg car audio wire. 

i got some 1/0 welding cable around so i could test it. for my purposes it doesn't matter. just haven't heard that the size difference was that significant between welding cable and the car audio cable. I assume that car audio cable is oversized or are they using a different rating? we're talking the OD of the copper not including the jacket, right? 

Edited by lithium

wait.. what? since when

i got some 1/0 welding cable around so i could test it. for my purposes it doesn't matter. just haven't heard that the size difference was that significant between welding cable and the car audio cable. I assume that car audio cable is oversized or are they using a different rating? we're talking the OD of the copper not including the jacket, right? 

when I say "Total", that indicates both cable and sleeve.

Audio cable has thicker insulation. The wire size should be the same.

wait.. what? since when

when I say "Total", that indicates both cable and sleeve.

you're really confusing me here. who gives two shits about the sleeve?  does 1/0 welding cable have more or less copper than 1/0 car audio cable.  

No way! They are the same.

Edited by pmureika

Audio cable has thicker insulation. The wire size should be the same.

exactly what i thought.

1/0 welding cable should have the same amount of copper as 1/0 car audio cable, right? why suggest otherwise 

omg, lol, ok, I will take pictures later. Not that really hard to follow what I am trying to convey here. As I stated in my FIRST response, the "TOTAL OD", is the same for 2/0 cable as for Car audio 1/0 cable. That was my statement. And again, you can check and verify for yourself. 

The question of which has more copper, well, that's brand dependent. As well all know companies find ways to alter their ratings. 

Wow :Doh:

image_zpsotpfpkmv.jpg

As you can see, I am holding the two separate wires. As you can see, they are VERY similar in size. Obviously, from brand to brand, they will vary, but my observation still stands.

2/0 welding/staging cable on the left, 1/0 car audio on the right. 

I am not arguing the difference in 1/0 and 2/0. I am only stating what I see in real life. lol

ok cool, so car audio cable is oversized for the most part. :) 

ok cool, so car audio cable is oversized for the most part. smile.png

essentially.

Not really sure why this is the case either lol. Marketing I suppose. 

for welding cable, the OD will be 1 gauge smaller, but the internal diameter is right on par with the same gauge.

My 2 gauge welding cable fit just right into the SHCA 4 gauge terminals