Sign in to follow this  
Dexter Chaos

midbass ported door enclosure basics

I am looking at some new midbass drivers and it looks that they should be ported. So if and when I build this enclosure in/on my door is there a recommendation on where to point the port in this application?

thanks in advance.

Pics of doors? and what drivers?

I've always wondered, since you don't have a ton of space generally speaking in door enclosures, couldn't you use a PR with the same results?

i will have to look them up later on. i was looking at parts express but that probably doesnt help you.

I've always wondered, since you don't have a ton of space generally speaking in door enclosures, couldn't you use a PR with the same results?

good question, wonder why you dont see it done more often. maybe pr's are limited to subbass frequencies? 

so dependant on which driver I choose will depend on which direction it is ported?  Why would what dirver I choose matter to whether my port exhaust goes towards the front of cabin, at driver/passenger, up, down, back?

good question, wonder why you dont see it done more often. maybe pr's are limited to subbass frequencies? 

Chevy trucks have that big area in the door, you could fit a 6.5" and a 6.5" PR, or possibly an 8" and 6.5" or smaller would be easier, but I've never seen anyone do it. I would think that would be so much easier.

PR's basically work like any ported enclosure and that idea has actually crossed my mind with all the space limitations I have in the Jimmy being that I'm using them with the XCON for sub bass duty.  The problem I ran across is that PR's are only really useful if the cone area is larger than that of the active driver.  That means either multiples of the same size (two 10" PR's with one 10" active sub like I did for example) or one larger such as a 12" PR with a 10" active driver.  The problem with using that idea with dedicated midbass drivers in a door is all the real estate that takes up for all those drivers.  If you wanted to use a 6.5" midbass you'd need two 6.5" PR's or a single 8" PR and by the time you do enough custom work to fit all that on the door along with the enclosure to hold it you could have pretty well just went with the ported enclosure.  Add in the fact it's more expensive because you have to buy the PR's along with the active drivers and it really spells out the reasons why you rarely ever see any PR builds in car audio at all let alone dedicated midbass builds for car doors.

Believe me, I've toyed with the idea of a 10" PR to go with the SLS 8's in the Jimmy doors but it would be less work and cost to simply build sealed or ported enclosures for them.  Although the cool factor and the matching factor with the XCON's would be awesome but it's just not practical.

so dependant on which driver I choose will depend on which direction it is ported?  Why would what dirver I choose matter to whether my port exhaust goes towards the front of cabin, at driver/passenger, up, down, back?

for midbass frequencies you dont need worry about aiming or port location at all really. just make sure the port clears any obstacles close the exit (within a few inches). 

Edited by lithium