Sign in to follow this  
Sencheezy

Mechanical Noise from Head Unit

So I have a very annoying problem and need some advice on how to address it! It seems that I have some serious static noise from the radio. I've done some intensive testing over the weekend, and come to one conclusion. Is that the noise is coming directly from the radio itself. I will list some of the things I've done over the weekend to come to this conclusion.

Swap the amplifier for a known good amplifier, problem presist

Swap radio with known good radio, problem goes away

Swap my rca's into a known good amp(different vehicle), problem goes away

Swap rca's from known good radio from another vehicle into my radio, problem is now in that vehicle

Ground rca to headunit chasis

Wire my radio directly to power and ground of front battery (turn on/constant/ground), problem presist

Wire my radio directly to power and ground of rear battery bank of known good vehicle, problem presist

Install/uninstall relay

The symptoms

Constant static noise from radio, that's with car ON and OFF

Pop from subwoofer when radio turns off

When I hit eject, I hear noise coming from subwoofer

When I accelerate, noise reacts with engine/alternator 

Things I've noticed

I've had this issue every since replacing factory radio.

Had the issue with the Pioneer 4300dvd, the currently installed Clarion nx702, did not have this issue with older single din alpine, the tested known good radio over the weekend was a modern kenwood, no noise with it installed in my car. 

Since installation number one, The driver side horn/radio are the ones to always blow and the noise seems to always be more amplified from that side

Options I've been given so far

Install a 12volt filter, not sure the cons/benefits of this

Install ground loop insalator, not sure the cons/benefits of this

Return radio under 90 day warranty

My personal thoughts

I believe the noise I'm hearing is mechanical. I believe the static noise is coming from the on-board fan inside the radio, this would go with also why I'm hearing noise from subwoofer when hitting eject or turning radio off

So if anyone has had any kind of similar issues, please advise omg !! lmao

My friend had similar issues with his kenwood single din, but it would also occasionally send huge pops. Even if we had the gain all the way down on the amps it would burst out the subs and door speakers very loudly. Also while playing the bass would flutter and sound distorted. I checked everything you checked, and the only thing that worked was putting a new head unit in.

So If I were you I'd save anymore time, and do an early upgrade to whatever head unit you desire :P

I think the answer lies within your own comment right at the beginning ..if you swap radio's the problem goes away.  That is what I would do, first thing, is return radio.  Sounds like a faulty unit.  In line noise suppressors, and ground loop isolators, only mask problems, try to NEVER use them!  

You did a good job with trouble shooting, if you swap out H/U's for the same or better you should be good, if you still notice a little buzzing (you shouldn't) I can tell you know how to trace down the source!  Good Luck!

EDIT:  I LOVE KENWOOD EXCELON H/U's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by THX_Elite

My friend had similar issues with his kenwood single din, but it would also occasionally send huge pops. Even if we had the gain all the way down on the amps it would burst out the subs and door speakers very loudly. Also while playing the bass would flutter and sound distorted. I checked everything you checked, and the only thing that worked was putting a new head unit in.

So If I were you I'd save anymore time, and do an early upgrade to whatever head unit you desire tongue.png

but this IS the radio I desire lmao, FML, alright, I will send an email

I think the answer lies within your own comment right at the beginning ..if you swap radio's the problem goes away.  That is what I would do, first thing, is return radio.  Sounds like a faulty unit.  In line noise suppressors, and ground loop isolators, only mask problems, try to NEVER use them!  

You did a good job with trouble shooting, if you swap out H/U's for the same or better you should be good, if you still notice a little buzzing (you shouldn't) I can tell you know how to trace down the source!  Good Luck!

EDIT:  I LOVE KENWOOD EXCELON H/U's!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok thanks for the feddback, I guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else lol this sucks, I hate downtime

Exchange for same model? Maybe yours is defective

ok thanks for the feddback, I guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else lol this sucks, I hate downtime

I hate down time too!...I feel for ya!  Your setup kicks ass, I checked out some of your vids on youtube, I like the one where you set your phone up and do a drive by...that is wicked loud!!!  the location made it sound awesome also, between buildings like you were!

Edited by THX_Elite

I hate down time too!...I feel for ya!  Your setup kicks ass, I checked out some of your vids on youtube, I like the one where you set your phone up and do a drive by...that is wicked loud!!!  the location made it sound awesome also, between buildings like you were!

haha well hell yeah man, small world.