Dysentery4You

Sub Selection for 500 watts RMS in Sealed Enclosure

It's been awhile back but there was a guy that got on here and said pretty much exactly that (minus the tape deck and AC current) because his friends told him it was how he got maximum loudness out of it.  He was on here asking why it all went up in smoke (with flames even IIRC).  These kinds of things happen all the time, because some friend of a cousin's best buddy said he's been doing this stuff for years and has always done it this way.  Or because some high school kid's hormones got the best of him, or his ego got hurt, and he thinks his system should be louder than his buddies system so he cranks everything up.  Or someone with no prior experience is trying to do his install with no help but from people on some forum online who have NO business telling anyone how to set things up (NOT this forum, but I can name a few others lol).  Stuff like that has been the norm in the hobby for a very long time, lol.  People do some scary shit with their stuff.

I was talking to another member on here not long ago who thought he had his gains and such set right.  He had just gotten a brand new, very nice subwoofer to upgrade from the one he had before and it was getting hot.  Hotter than he was comfortable with and after some reading and discussion he decided to try resetting his gains again.  It's probably a very good thing he did as afterward his gain was set lower, he had just as much output, but the sub was no longer getting hot.  He was clipping the signal out of the amp going to the sub so hard it was going to burn it up.  

My point is, go over everything again with a fine tooth comb.  People have ran 2,000 watts to a 500 watt rated sub and it lasted for years and guys have blown 2,000 watt rated subs with 500 watts.  It doesn't matter what you have if you do it wrong long or hard enough something will give.  Slow down and figure out what happened to cause this sub to blow before it happens to the new one.

Wish I have heard more of the listed subs to give an accurate reply.

in his case I believe used equipment is his friend. its hard to be on such a tight budget and get impressive gear.

craigslist ftw!

Considering my experience with used woofers, I really want to buy new. Also, this is not a "save up until I can afford something better" situation. I'm just setting a strict budget for myself to limit my total system cost. I'm only pushing 500 watts so I'm not in the market for a $300 sub.

I wasn't insinuating that you couldn't afford a new sub, just sayin a used one might be more up your alley. if you listen to the sub and take it out of the box and check everything over then its really hard to get a bad deal on a used sub..

in his case I believe used equipment is his friend. its hard to be on such a tight budget and get impressive gear.

craigslist ftw!

Considering my experience with used woofers, I really want to buy new. Also, this is not a "save up until I can afford something better" situation. I'm just setting a strict budget for myself to limit my total system cost. I'm only pushing 500 watts so I'm not in the market for a $300 sub.

I wasn't insinuating that you couldn't afford a new sub, just sayin a used one might be more up your alley. if you listen to the sub and take it out of the box and check everything over then its really hard to get a bad deal on a used sub..

I hear you, it's just that people typically tell you to save up for the best whenever you talk about buying on a budget.

Speaking of which...B-Stock Sundown SA12 vs refurbished Kicker L7 12", same price (160ish).  Which would you go for?

craigslist ftw!

I hear you, it's just that people typically tell you to save up for the best whenever you talk about buying on a budget.

Speaking of which...B-Stock Sundown SA12 vs refurbished Kicker L7 12", same price (160ish). Which would you go for?

ive had both subs. but 2 12 Sa and 1 L7 so naturally the sa's were louder. for the money the L7 jjst falls short. rated at 750rms is not a joke they wont take much more. mind you i didnt have the best electrical at the time but the L7 on a aq1200 was just too much for it. I could smell it it getting hot after abojt a hour of play. I had the sa 12s on a aq2200 with better electric and they could take it for hours on end and never smell anything. also inhad a fjrst gen L7 so the newer ones mkght be a little different. but id go forthe sa if you have it nanarrowed down to the two

Thanks for the advice all, ordered a Sundown e12, felt like the right combination of excursion, cost, reputation and power handling.