Gnfanatic1

What Impedance should I run a IB315 at?

Hey guys, So I have a Zed Audio Minilith mono amp thats rated at

• Continuous Output Power into 1 ohm 600wx1
  • Continuous Output Power into 2 ohm 400wx1
  • Continuous Output Power into 4 ohm 200wx1

I am would like to build a IB setup in my cruze and buy the IB315 . Should I buy the 2 ohm sub and run 2 ohms at the amp?? I dont want to run 1 ohm due to heat and I only have a 140amp alt in my car with the big 3 done. OR would the IB312 sound better due to smaller sub?? I am worried about not having enough power.

thanks for your input!

Ralph

at only 600w I would think you will be fine at 1 ohm.

The IB3 only comes in single 2 or single 4 ohm. So if you only want to run one buy the single 2 ohm. Go with the 15 if you can physically fit it

Also size does not dictate how well a subwoofer sounds. A ten will sound the same as an eighteen, it is just easier to get loud with the 18.

excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but can I get a 2ohm sub to 1 ohm load?? I can physically fit a 15 in my car. the driver will point towards the back seats.

If a 15 will work for space restrictions, you will enjoy it

excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but can I get a 2ohm sub to 1 ohm load?? I can physically fit a 15 in my car. the driver will point towards the back seats.

Sorry, no, not with one sub.  2 ohms is 2 ohms.  Now if it were a dual 2 ohm the coils on the sub could be wired in parallel for a final 1 ohm load, or if you had two 2 ohm subs.

Sorry, no, not with one sub.  2 ohms is 2 ohms.  Now if it were a dual 2 ohm the coils on the sub could be wired in parallel for a final 1 ohm load, or if you had two 2 ohm subs.

Thank you. Will the ib15 be happy with 400 watts??

I'm certain it will absolutely be fine, there's no such thing as under powering a driver.  The real question is whether or not it will give you all the output you want from it.  That you won't know until you hear it.  I can say that I have just a pair of cheap Dayton 8" drivers in the rear deck of my Olds running IB with 100 watts to each one and the output I get from them is quite satisfactory and more than I expected from them.  Considering the IB315 has CONSIDERABLY more cone area and you'll have twice as much power going to it I believe you'll be very happy with it.

But that's just my .02

May I ask what size holes you have to cut in the rear deck?? I am going to take some measurements for the hell of it

Guys I would like to mention that my seats fold flat. So I cant seal them and wont half ass it, leaving my new car alone. I will though seal alll paramters of the IB to the reat seat frame. Does this sound fine?? I would like to order the sub tomorrow but want to make sure a IB setup is doable in my car without butchering it.

May I ask what size holes you have to cut in the rear deck?? I am going to take some measurements for the hell of it

I got lucky enough to not have to modify the metal at all.  The car had large plastic standoffs/baffles that the factory 6x9's mounted into.  The holes in the deck were already fairly large because they were the same size as those baffle things.  HERE'S a link to that little build log.  Mind you the cheapo 6.5" Hifonics components were from when I first got the car and had to do something to fix everything that wasn't working and those were something I had on hand at the time.  But I think you can get a basic idea of the work I did on it which really was all fairly minimal compared to what could/should be done for a proper IB install.  You should also be able to see the size the holes are in the rear deck.

Guys I would like to mention that my seats fold flat. So I cant seal them and wont half ass it, leaving my new car alone. I will though seal alll paramters of the IB to the reat seat frame. Does this sound fine?? I would like to order the sub tomorrow but want to make sure a IB setup is doable in my car without butchering it.

I think I get what you're saying, but the framework of the car around that trunk opening is what you need to seal and reinforce.  Did I link you to that big IB install build log?  If not I'll get you the link for some healthy ideas on what you need to do.  Not necessarily EXACTLY like he did, but some facsimile thereof.  I have seen several done like it was an enclosure that just for lack of a better explanation simply didn't have a back on it.  I'll see if I can find some reference pictures.

Thanks man, I would like to look at that post to get some ideas. Going to be ordering the goods very soon.

I think these pictures here will help to show that you don't need to tear into the framework around the trunk opening behind the back seats to make a solid structure or place to mount.  Of course all these pictures show the subs with the magnets firing forward instead of the cone, but how they're building a baffle and structure that seals up around the trunk opening and moves the sub back away from the seats a little bit is the point I'm trying to show.  Here's the link to that big IB build log again.

Here's the pictures I was speaking of.

DSC07445.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

subsbackseat.jpg

jfl3.jpg