Sign in to follow this  
Dangercdv

Box build for 2 15s or 4 12s!

Okay, so there are two ways I can go about this. In the back of a Grand Cherokee I want either 2 15s or 4 12s.
I was looking at buying 2 Dual 12 aeroport boxes from Davetheboxguy. Just hooking up 4 Soundqubed HDS200s and calling it a day.
OR
I could design and create my own box for 2 15s (I was thinking SSA ICON or the HDS300s or perhaps the HDC 3.0)

The amplifier will possibly be a BC2000d good for 2250 rms. I could step it up if need be if somebody could recommend an amp that doesn't cost much more but will give enough power.

Should I go with 4 12s, or 2 15s. (Yes I know its preference but I am good with either one so help me out here)

and I am going to start working on designs for 15 inch boxes within the specs of the cargo dimensions. For the Aeroports, could I use 2 8's or 4 6's or what? The box will be around 7-9 cubes.

It doesn't matter flip a coin and call it a day, will come down to personal preference. Yes the 12''s will have more motors to split power between and a cone area advantage, 15''s will be less speakers and wiring to deal with. Plain and simple really.

As far as ports go, both will be fine. The 4-6''s have more port area, again flip a coin.

Edited by jay-cee

Well for sake of money, I think I want to go with the 2 15s and the box will be my own which is pretty cool.
I have a model in Google Sketchup, and I would really like to use a single 10 inch flared aeroport. I can't seem to find any tho. Once I calculate displacement of the woofers and the port, I seem to end up with a box around 7-7.2 cubes, and if I had a 10inch aeroport, about 17 inches long I would have a tuning around 33-35hz which is exactly what I am looking for.

I just really dont know where to buy an aeroport. ALSO, the 10 inch port comes to about 5.5 inches from the wall and even closer to the floor and roof, is that to close?

Also, the displacement for for the 10 inch aeroport is about .7 cubes, as apposed to 4, 6 inch aeroports, for that tuning which would take up about 2 cubes.

Recommended Optimal airspace is 7 cubes for 2 SSA ICON 15s.

**With 10 inch aeroport** = 7.1 cubes   (Great but I cant find a 10 inch port) & (the 17 inch port length is 5.5 inches from the back wall)
**With 8 inch aeroport**  =  7.6 cubes  (Is this to much airspace with too little port?)

**With 2 6in. aeroports** =  7.5 cubes  (Still to much airspace with too little port?)

If I raise the number of 6 inch aeroports, the length becomes to long for the box and I can't do it, but which of these options seems best.
The 10 and the 2 6's seem to be what I need to do. Which one?

Edited by Dangercdv

Dual 15 Outside

Dual 15 inside

Is this acceptable? Or Could I get away with using an 8 inch port? or maybe just 2 6 inch ports?
Edited by Dangercdv

I am a 1 sub kind of guy. I'd say go with the biggest one sub size. IA 21?

Lol, an 18 maybe, and I could buy a box for it already amde from davetheboxguy too, but I am not a single sub kind of guy.
Designing this box is getting annoying, I am about to go with the 4, 12s.

I think Adrian_D makes custom port flares. All you have to do is buy one and pick up some 10" pvc

I have a pair for sale if you're interested. They are the exact ones I bought from Adrian_D

PM me

Oh sweet. That might work. awesome.
This build will be a while from now so im not interested now, but thank you.