Sign in to follow this  
Dangercdv

Getting the most out of my enclosure.

Subs:2, Sundown Audio E-12 v1, 400rms 

Amp: Hifonics 1700.1 wired to 1 ohm (so 850rms per sub) 

Box. Custom mustang vert box, .9 cubes per sub sealed.

Right now the E-12s are reversed mounted to get the most usable airspace. Is there a subwoofer that would better handle the power such as the soundqubed HDS 200 or 300.
Also, should I stuff the box with polyfill or something? 

I can't turn my volume up to even half on some songs before the subs start to distort or bottom out. So what can I do to improve my setup?

Turn the gain down? Also disable any bass boost from amp and/or head unit.

The gain is already really low, and there is no bass boost or anything from the headunit.
At low volumes I can't even tell I have subwoofers. like 12/50 
then it sounds good around 18-20/50
and to much on some songs at 25/50.

What's the ssf set on?May need to adjust it if the subs are bottoming out

Edited by garychurch84

They get plently loud, don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with them, I just have allot of spare power that could be put to use on a better sub.
I was just wondering how to get the most out of my enclosure, not how to tune my amp. Trust me, I spent plently of time on that. The normal volume I listen to is around 18-22 and thats were the subs sound their best. 
Could I upgrade to a better subwoofer? Or could I stuff the box? Or, any other suggestions?
I would like to sound deaden my trunk but i don't want to spend that kind of money for what I may not even notice.

I don't think stuffing the box with polyfil, or anything else regarding the current setup will be useful.  You're simply asking more than it's capable of giving.  Even subs that could handle more power or are better suited to a sealed alignment would not net enough gain to make the cost worthwhile.  Changing the enclosure out for a ported should yield a noticeable difference in output but you're looking at a larger enclosure that you may not have the room for or may not be willing to give the room up for.

The only other way you could possibly get louder is with larger or more subs but again you're going to run into having to have more space available for the subs.  Either way you've got a tough decision.

For my own curiosity, when you say "custom mustang vert box" are you saying that it's a custom box for a convertible Mustang?  If so, then that's the other major problem to overcome.  Convertibles are notoriously difficult to get loud due to the way the trunk and cabin are separated for the convertible mechanics and the rag top eating up so much output in itself.

I don't think stuffing the box with polyfil, or anything else regarding the current setup will be useful.  You're simply asking more than it's capable of giving.  Even subs that could handle more power or are better suited to a sealed alignment would not net enough gain to make the cost worthwhile.  Changing the enclosure out for a ported should yield a noticeable difference in output but you're looking at a larger enclosure that you may not have the room for or may not be willing to give the room up for.

The only other way you could possibly get louder is with larger or more subs but again you're going to run into having to have more space available for the subs.  Either way you've got a tough decision.

For my own curiosity, when you say "custom mustang vert box" are you saying that it's a custom box for a convertible Mustang?  If so, then that's the other major problem to overcome.  Convertibles are notoriously difficult to get loud due to the way the trunk and cabin are separated for the convertible mechanics and the rag top eating up so much output in itself.

I agree with this 100% just was worried about the bottoming out!

Oh yes, it is a convertible, and believe me I know that is a huge obstacle to overcome. I am just doing the best I can until I get a new vehicle. 
So basicly I am just stuck with what I have.

Its fine, thanks tho. 
Cannot wait until I get an SUV or truck and fill it with bass.
I need as much room as I can now because my car is small enough as it is and I take things to and from college all the time. So my backseats are stuffed and allot of the time, so is the front passenger seat.

Are you sure its the sub bottoming out and not something rattling real bad? Try to listen with the trunk open, if you havent already.

Are you sure its the sub bottoming out and not something rattling real bad? Try to listen with the trunk open, if you havent already.

I have, its just with the gain where its at for normal listning levels, some songs at higher levels are just to much.

Its strange tho, because some of my clear bass boosted songs can get up to like 30/50 before the subs distort.

and any normal song playing at 30/50 for like 30 seconds is enough that when you step out of the car you can tell your hearing is weakend. So its LOUD.

You can't compare the volume position from one song to the next. Every song has it's own recording level and is rarely the same as another. Possibly if they were all recorded on the same album the tech at the board referenced them all to the same level as they were mastered but I wouldn't count on that either. Even if they were the same recording level every song has it's own range of dynamics which can make them sound like they're recorded at different levels.

Best thing to do is just as you're practicing now, when you hear something getting stressed just turn it back down a notch or two.