Be carefull, one of those amps has the capability to thermally damage that driver...

I like you. Not sexually, but like a bro's b4 hoe's kinda way if I was gangsta or whatever. Perhaps more like a hat tip at the golf course kinda way. Yes, that way.

geoff_ogilvy_hat_tip-17651.jpg

What do you mean one of those amps can damage the driver?

That amp can produce roughly 5Kw under certain conditions.  Your sub is rated at 4Kw...  That is how it can damage it...

That amp can produce roughly 5Kw under certain conditions.  Your sub is rated at 4Kw...  That is how it can damage it...

No one else in the room and I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Look, you don't understand why I made that statement so it is only fair that you listen and try and understand what I am talking about.

Amplifiers are going to source current into a specified load at a specified voltage, as long as the power supply can keep up.  When you take any amplifier that has a reliable rating of producing a sine wave (The standard waveform for power ratings) at a set voltage and then you have it produce a different waveform (like a square wave) it produces drastically more power, sometimes almost double.  And you don't have to use just a square wave, it is an example, much music is compressed enough to almost do the same thing.  So your 2.5Kw amplifier is capable of producing 5Kw of some type of power (mostly garbage) and your subwoofer will have to find a way of dealing with it if somehow all the power makes it to the voicecoil.  This is worst case scenario, but it can happen.  It happens on this site all the time, and user want to cry foul about a manufacturer when they simply overpowered and thermally cooked thier drivers.

You should do your homework first, it will help you from making costly mistakes.

Look, you don't understand why I made that statement so it is only fair that you listen and try and understand what I am talking about.

Amplifiers are going to source current into a specified load at a specified voltage, as long as the power supply can keep up.  When you take any amplifier that has a reliable rating of producing a sine wave (The standard waveform for power ratings) at a set voltage and then you have it produce a different waveform (like a square wave) it produces drastically more power, sometimes almost double.  And you don't have to use just a square wave, it is an example, much music is compressed enough to almost do the same thing.  So your 2.5Kw amplifier is capable of producing 5Kw of some type of power (mostly garbage) and your subwoofer will have to find a way of dealing with it if somehow all the power makes it to the voicecoil.  This is worst case scenario, but it can happen.  It happens on this site all the time, and user want to cry foul about a manufacturer when they simply overpowered and thermally cooked thier drivers.

You should do your homework first, it will help you from making costly mistakes.

What you are saying makes perfect sense, and I knew some of that already, though extra knowledge is priceless if it can be worth something.

I was actually laughing as I thought your comment toward the OP was in the sarcastic variety. Gotta love text getting misunderstood without facial expression and tone of voice.

No sarcasm meant.  I am just stating the facts.

Here is a good example:

An amplifier has voltage rails that will do 10V Peak-Peak.

Maximum unclipped sine output into 1 ohm is about 12 watts.  It is about 25 watts if it produces a square wave into the same load.

May bad, sorry for derailing this thread a bit.

I do understand the clipping of the signal causing power to increase as that is how I cooked the first xcon I had. I don't blame the equipment at all.

You got it.  But it is important to understand that it isn't just clipping (in fact clipping in itself doesn't hurt anything at all).  It is simply applying power to a driver that is beyond the thermal limitations.

There is tons of music, that may not even sound distorted, that will allow an amplifier to produce well over it's sine wave derived power rating.