Sign in to follow this  
bdawson72

2 12RL-s's vs 3 Si Mag 12's

Which setup should i use  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which setup should i use

• 2 RL-S 12's
    • 3 SI Mag 12's

Im just wondering which setup i should try for a blowthrough in a Regular Cap Ranger

I got the RL-S in SQ the Mag in Loudness...

I got the RL-S in SQ the Mag in Loudness...

I thought the RL-P's were supposed to be close to the Mags in output?

Edited by T-Dub

if i get the mags they are gonna have around 1000 watts each and the Rl-s's will have about 1500 rms............And regarding the one of the posts above i was talking about the RL-S not the RL-P

I don't know many people that have experience with both drivers. Also, posting her, you will indeed get a biased opinion, so take that for what it's worth.

if you have the space for a large box and a ton of power at 4 ohms, the RL-s might be a fun choice,

but for in car, the MAGs might be easier to workwith and they have a cone advantage, I feel it is a win win either way

I don't know many people that have experience with both drivers.  Also, posting her, you will indeed get a biased opinion, so take that for what it's worth.

oh, oh..*raises hand* i do, i do!!!

albeit a 12" rl-s and a 15" proto mag...

and in my experience, and take this with a grain of salt as i used only one box for each sub (ironicly, same size enclosure) 2.5ft^3 tuned to 28hz for the rl-s in a trailblazer and 2.5ft^3 tuned to 34hz for the mag in my silverado xcab...both got 1200wrms from a orion 2500d and the mag got a brief stint with the full 2500....

and in that brief comparo, the rl-s wins. louder, lower and cleaner. but don't take that wrong. the mag was very low and very clean, but i was a bit disappointed with the output even though it was loud. and that had more to do with the box in any case. it wasn't quite big enough.

in the end, it's up to what you want to run. you won't be hurt in any case. both setups will get silly loud, low and be exceptionally clean. and both will require roughly the same size enclosure.

this is truely flip a coin, you can't go wrong in any case.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

if u put 2 rl-s 12's in either a 4th order or 6th order bandpass imho from playing around with a friend of mines rl-s 12...u will edge out 3 mojo 15's believe it or not...not by much but u will hear a difference cuz its soo dam clean

3 mags would get loud..but i think the rl-s 12's will edge it out but not by much..u will notice it on the meter but not by ear

now i really have alot of thinkin 2 do....i was proboby gonna run either off of a hifonics goliath( which ever one 4kw maybe its a collosus) or a zapco 4kw.....or i might run the three mags off of 3 jl 1000/1's....its gonna be a while b4 i do any of that so i have alot of time 2 think...I did wanna try three of the new 1000 watt alpine amps but not 2 many people have experience with them...i wanna be loud as hell but im more of a sql guy anyway

Oh btw what are the voice coil configurations on the RL-s and the magnum

Edited by bdawson72

RL-s is single 4 ohm, Mags are Dual 2 ohm.

3 mags would get loud..but i think the rl-s 12's will edge it out but not by much..u will notice it on the meter but not by ear

I'll take you up on that challenge. SI has contributed to a lot of 150+ members with one of those being a single 12. 2 rl-s 12's being louder than 3 SI Mag 12's with equal power, enclosures, and vehicle? Like I said, I'm game.

3vs 2

Doesnt seem all that fair

But i can say, those LMT's are super super quiet

0 mechanical noise at 3" p2p

2 rl-s 12's being louder than 3 SI Mag 12's with equal power, enclosures, and vehicle?

i agree and this is where i wish i had more time with both subs. 2 on 2, i believe the rl-s wins. 2 on 3, well, the mag surely isn't no slouch and with an extra man, it would be hard for ANY sub to beat them. it's hard enough even odds.

but it's a h2h i'd love to see nonetheless.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

guess ill buy some RL-S's some time soon :P do a comparison with my mag, then build a box for both the mags and RL-s's see who wins :)

guess ill buy some RL-S's some time soon :P do a comparison with my mag, then build a box for both the mags and RL-s's see who wins :)

do that!........chances are that i will do with the 3mags but does anyone have any suggestions on how i should power them

the 3 mags have an advantage for SPL, and are more versitle

Mags are freaking awesome.... i saw a single mag 12 do 150+ on a TL with i think 1500 watts..... i also saw them move the windows in a trunk car with about 375 watts each.. gotta love american bass amps w/ no power at 2 ohms lol

I kno that i posted this thread a while ago but i kinda have a noob question......What is the lowest impedance level that 3 mags could be wired to?

Thanx,

Brandon

I kno that i posted this thread a while ago but i kinda have a noob question......What is the lowest impedance level that 3 mags could be wired to?

Thanx,

Brandon

1/r = 1/1 + 1/1 + 1/1

1/r = 3

1/3 = r

1/3 ohm....20.1?

yea thats what i was getting at......... I want a 20.1 but im wondering how many watts each sub would be seeing after that

I don't know what the ratings are at those loads, i'm guessing you'd have more problem keeping your voltage up than anything though.

im sure that if i get my 125 amp alt and 1 or 2 new batteries i would be ok

i don't know, don't have any experience with the 20.1s, at 1/3 ohm i'm betting it draws current like crazy though