smashedz28

Location for tweeters in 03 tahoe

I'm going to be installing my focal ps165 component set into my 03 tahoe. My plans are to use the supplied crossovers. I will be using a baffle and possibly deaden the doors in the near future when time and money allow.

I have seen several installs in tahoes where they mount the tweeter right above the mid in the doors. My vehicle has room for that but came factory with tweets in the pillars. Not sure which route to take. Doors or pillars? I have read where putting them with the mid is best? I know this may boil down to personal preference but I don't exactly know what to expect from either.

Passive installs generally do better right next to each other.

Might help tame the tweeters a bit too as they will be really far off axis. Could make them lackluster.

Since you are using the supplied passive crossovers, keeping the tweet close to the mid will help keep tuning simple. I tested the a pillar location(two positions) and the factory door location in my tahoe. The a pillar location made it really easy to pull the sound stage up, while the door location made it easier to get the freq. response to my liking. Testing locations will tell you what you do and don't like. Lithium recommended duct seal to temporarily mount the tweeters in different locations. Worked great for me.

I am also running an active set up so I had a little more tuning flexibility.

Edited by hdrox88

The stock a pillars pretty much aim forward into the windshield. Thanks for the input so far

The stock dash in that truck SUCKS for anything in the pillars.

Ok. Advice taken. Doors is where I'll put them. Thanks

I really wanted to put a 3" FR in my 02 Silverado, but the combo of the pillar and dash hump blow.

I'm probably off topic a little but I just got the deck put in today. Pioneer x5700bhs. Double din. This unit has most of the features my 80prs has. Time alignment and looks like decent crossover section. It does not let me independently change l/r like the 80prs. Has network and standard modes. Does this mean its active capable? My main reason for not going active besides never doing it was I didn't want to buy a processor. If this unit is able to handle it? maybe I should just pull an extra set of wires to the doors? Will be amping the set with an older fosgate 600.4

Edit: also not willing or capable of aiming the speakers outside of stock locations. Maybe active isn't for me? Not sure with what I have available I can make this set sound better than using the supplier crossovers. Not to mention I paid almost $400 for this set. Would be pissed if I blew one learning something new. So confused lol.

Edited by smashedz28

It sounds like that unit is active capable. Run the extra wires while it is all apart. Set it up with the passive crossovers first and tune it as best you can. Then, if you want to try active it's just a matter of switching some wires and settings. That way you know what that particular set of drivers can sound like and have a base line to shoot for and improve upon while tuning. Just don't cross the tweeters too low and/or feed them too much power and you shouldn't blow anything.

What is a "decent" crossover section mean?  Post up the frequency choices and slope options and it'll be easier to judge.

Yes that h/u will do active mode, so go ahead and run extra wires. You could always pick up a $20 set of vifa or dayton tweets and use those. Silverflute 6.5s arent pricey either, about 60 bucks shipped. For under a 100 bucks you have some equipment to use as a learning experience so you won't damage your pricey comps. Just a suggestion.

Tweets - partsexpress

Mids - madisoundspeakerstore

Edited by jay-cee

Not sure how good the Focal tweet is that far off axis. If I were to buy a driver I'd look for a tweet that is. Might as well start with what you have and then alter to improve though.

The silver flutes are great sounding mids; especially for the price. I think I picked up four for around 80$ shipped from madisound.

Really you should start with what you have and then change it up. One could argue that throwing in a $5 tweet to make sure you don't blow it as you play around the first time makes sense but otherwise start with the Focals

What is a "decent" crossover section mean? Post up the frequency choices and slope options and it'll be easier to judge.

Front 50,63,80,100,125,160,200hz choices

Slope options -6.12 18 and 24

07CB7269-589F-4120-95B0-5D58426928CE.jpg

Edited by smashedz28

What is a "decent" crossover section mean? Post up the frequency choices and slope options and it'll be easier to judge.

Front 50,63,80,100,125,160,200hz choices

Slope options -6.12 18 and 24

07CB7269-589F-4120-95B0-5D58426928CE.jpg

That isn't decent but horseshit and useless for active. Going to need a processor.

It's no 80prs, but that HU he has does have a 3 way network mode. I think he has it in standard mode right now so it is limited to the sub lpf and front/rear hpf.

It is in standard mode. Fuck it. Not spending anymore on something I know nothing about. Just isn't the time for me to be opening up several cans of worms for myself. Thanks for your input I'll stick with my original plans.

It's no 80prs, but that HU he has does have a 3 way network mode. I think he has it in standard mode right now so it is limited to the sub lpf and front/rear hpf.

I didn't look since it takes forever to find shit like that on Pio's site.  The crossovers listed were for driver protection only

It is in standard mode. Fuck it. Not spending anymore on something I know nothing about. Just isn't the time for me to be opening up several cans of worms for myself. Thanks for your input I'll stick with my original plans.

Hate to re-open the can of worms but your truck will really love the flexibility it allows.  Running passive in any location in that truck is not easy.

I didn't look since it takes forever to find shit like that on Pio's site. The crossovers listed were for driver protection only
Wow, just dug deeper. Preset tweeter crossover? Pretty lame if you ask me. I guess it allows anyone to go active without easily breaking things, although it defeats the purpose.

To the OP, going active made a pretty big difference for me in my tahoe, vs passive in a sierra I had, and I'm no pro when it comes to tuning. It is definitely worth it if you are willing to take the time to learn and tune.

Edited by hdrox88