Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Mckendry

Help with wood choice?

I'm going to be building a second enclosure for my Fi Bl 15. For my first enclosure I made it out of Birch Plywood so what I was wondering was if Cherry, walnut or poplar would be good for a box?

Are you talking Cherry, Poplar or Walnut plywood?

I'm talking Hardwood. I know poplar isint considered a hardwood though

The two best materials are mdf or baltic birch plywood. That would be my opinion. If you want you can build it out of any kind of wood.

But a ply wood would be better then solid wood.

I wouldn't recommend the other woods.

Edited by pmureika

I'm talking Hardwood. I know poplar isint considered a hardwood though

The two best materials are mdf or baltic birch plywood. That would be my opinion. If you want you can build it out of any kind of wood.

But a ply wood would be better then solid wood.

I wouldn't recommend the other woods.

Why wouldn't solid wood be a good choice? Acoustics, or cutting difficulties?

Prone to splitting/cracking I would think. Solid pieces tend to do this as they dry.

Whereas with a ply, if one of the layers cracks/has voids it doesn't necessarily comprise the entire piece. ??? :shrug:

I built a few enclosures out of real hardwood , measure 10 times and cut once

because one bad cut can be expensive....LOL

hardwood makes a nice looking enclosure but it has to be maintained

like a piece of fine furniture  ..   oiled so it does not dry out

Edited by Thumpper

Hardwood, besides not liking to be attached at more than one axis and cracking, has too many uncontrolled resonant modes to use as a loudspeaker enclosure material.  Successful solid wood cabinets have used the butcher block approach to alleviate the two previously mentioned problems, look at Sonus Faber and you will see what I am talking about.

Acoustically, MDF is the best choice of materials in this thread.  High quality plywood is the strongest...  So choose you poison...   

Those Sonus Faber speakers are a pleasure to look at o.o

While building materials are being brought up, is lexan/plexi an acoustically appropriate material for an enclosure, if it was the primary building material (not a window).

/endthreadjack

that's one of the reasons why those expensive Frugal Horns have a nice looking hardwood faceplate

and everything behind is either Baltic Birch or MDF

personally I hate working with MDF because of the dust but it's the most acoustically dead

and the reason why I use it the most

MDF dust is terrible...  It also isn't supposed to be good for you over the long run...  I know I have been breathing it for at least 20 years...

MDF is cheap, also...  We tend to forget that fact...  

While building materials are being brought up, is lexan/plexi an acoustically appropriate material for an enclosure, if it was the primary building material (not a window).

/endthreadjack

I built some enclosures out of 1" acrylic (plexiglass) in the mid 90's for some Focal woofers in a car audio install.  It seemed to sound fine, but is a lot of work, took forever, I ruined a ton of material and spent hours buffing out scratches...  It was also expensive then, I can only imagine now...

/endthreadjack

I built some enclosures out of 1" acrylic (plexiglass) in the mid 90's for some Focal woofers in a car audio install. It seemed to sound fine, but is a lot of work, took forever, I ruined a ton of material and spent hours buffing out scratches... It was also expensive then, I can only imagine now...

I really really want to swap my basket out for a TI on my btl when I eventually recone it, would you mind if I messaged you about the details of building a plexi box when I do so?

I made a few enclosures with both Lexan and Plexi

the Lexan flexes/vibarates if used for large windows or panels and makes noise, it can not be bent either

because it has a memory and wants to flex back , Plexi can be bent with heat and it will hold it's shape

lexan scratches easily too

Edited by Thumpper

/endthreadjack

I built some enclosures out of 1" acrylic (plexiglass) in the mid 90's for some Focal woofers in a car audio install. It seemed to sound fine, but is a lot of work, took forever, I ruined a ton of material and spent hours buffing out scratches... It was also expensive then, I can only imagine now...

I really really want to swap my basket out for a TI on my btl when I eventually recone it, would you mind if I messaged you about the details of building a plexi box when I do so?

Sure

/endthreadjack

I built some enclosures out of 1" acrylic (plexiglass) in the mid 90's for some Focal woofers in a car audio install.  It seemed to sound fine, but is a lot of work, took forever, I ruined a ton of material and spent hours buffing out scratches...  It was also expensive then, I can only imagine now...

Acrylic was a going thing in that age for show in my area anyways.. seemed to be not much more flexing than MDF.. But the finishing was a pain! But that was the neon light era ...Saying that I feel old!! Clear enclosure neon lights was the trend.