Steve Knutson

Fi team 18" enclosure recommendations?

I ordered my 18" Team Fi and need help with box recommendations. I want a box tuned low, just curious a good tuning frequency. I'm gonna push it with a banda 10k in my Toyota celica. I heard that too big of a box can effect output in a negative way. I believe a smaller box could help with spl , but that's not might goal. A daily ground pounder is my focus. I'm debating between ported or 6th order. Any ideas?

The bigger the box, the more efficient, too a point....

A normal ported box is a 4th or 6th order depending on the filtering used.  If you mean a 6th order bandpass, then that could be complicated to get right.

If you want a low tuned box, tune low.

I would go with whatever Fi suggests, they are the ones who designed the driver after all...

They do suggest around 5-8cu. I guess I'm not sure how low is too low. A 6th does seem complicated, but I feel would sound the best. I know 4th aren't recommended and I just love the sound of bandpass's.

I just love the sound of bandpass's.

Umm, no. There is no "sound of bandpass's. If for some odd reason you want to mimic the shortened frequency response that is SUPER easy with even very simple electronics.

The other aspect of your statement that

I feel would sound the best.

is obvious already. If you knew then you'd realize what you were feeling wasn't right. Since you don't that means if you try to design a 6th order bp you'll end up with something that will sound way worse than a standard box.

The approach is also strange. Build a normal ported box. It is easy, it works and best of all you can learn instead of just do. Once built, listen to it. Then decide what you want to make better, describe it on here and ask for help. If you go that route you'll know by the time you buy your next sub what is actually best for you instead of going by what someone else likes or worse yet thinks they like.

Tune to 20 and you will get a pretty flat response curve with good low end... problem is to get low 20 tuning you need a long ass port and when you need adequate port area it makes the design somewhat difficult.

Model up some response curves, start with 6.5 cubic ft, tuned to 28hz. And go from there. Find something that isn't going to give a huge bump in response in a narrow range of frequencies, but still is able to give decent output.

Model numerous options and compare. The reason I suggest starting where I am, is it is in the middle of their size recommendation, and 28-34 hz seems to be a decent tuning range for daily music listening, you wanted lower tuning so start there.

Try same size, but model for a 22,24,26,28 hz tune and look at response curves, output, and port length. See whether it's feasible to build an enclosure that will fit your space and accommodate the port length.

Edited by nigel

Thanks for all ur feedback. I'm fully convinced that ported will be my style of box. I'm still waiting for Fi to finish my sub.

I currently have a 5 cu box tuned to 40 hz laying around. I plan to use that as a temporary box for my sub's break-in period. I realize Fi has their parameters available, but feel isn't as accurate due to a tighter suspension. I'll play the sub a lot longer before I bench test it using my Dats Wt3. The modeling program I use is winspeaker, and willing to try something else if recommended. I think 6.5cu seems like a good number! My current box is a sub up port up...good for spl, bad for sound quality. I wonder if aeroports have something to do with that....

Thanks for all ur feedback. I'm fully convinced that ported will be my style of box. I'm still waiting for Fi to finish my sub.

I currently have a 5 cu box tuned to 40 hz laying around. I plan to use that as a temporary box for my sub's break-in period. I realize Fi has their parameters available, but feel isn't as accurate due to a tighter suspension. I'll play the sub a lot longer before I bench test it using my Dats Wt3. The modeling program I use is winspeaker, and willing to try something else if recommended. I think 6.5cu seems like a good number! My current box is a sub up port up...good for spl, bad for sound quality. I wonder if aeroports have something to do with that....

My guess is, anywhere in the realm you are thinking, if you build the box CORRECTLY it is going to be very loud.

The vents won't really affect the sound if they are still behaving like vents...  If they are too small, they will increase compression as output is increased...