///M5

Budget Active SQ Install

Doubt the 8 will make the rood flex kent.

Not everyone has/had a solo X 18 :P

ummmmm...good point. :lol2:

but with all the deadening he's doing, he might as well get the roof done too

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Get the roof done? all on my own, but perhaps it depends on if I can figure out a way to reduce the noisee from the window seals. Right now there is a little firewall noise--which eventually I will address--and mostly window seal noise. Other than that she is nice and quiet. It is funny to talk on my cell phone in the truck now. Before the deadening I had to have the volume all the way up, and I definetely don't anymore :)

3 rolls of Raamat (180sq ft), 10 yards of Ensolite, and about 4 yards of thinsulate.

edit: up to nearly 4 rolls now and a couple more yards of Ensolite for nearly 13 as well.

Doubt the 8 will make the rood flex kent.

Not everyone has/had a solo X 18 :P

ummmmm...good point. :lol2:

but with all the deadening he's doing, he might as well get the roof done too

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Get the roof done? all on my own, but perhaps it depends on if I can figure out a way to reduce the noisee from the window seals. Right now there is a little firewall noise--which eventually I will address--and mostly window seal noise. Other than that she is nice and quiet. It is funny to talk on my cell phone in the truck now. Before the deadening I had to have the volume all the way up, and I definetely don't anymore :)

it's not hard...except you can't disconnect the mirror wiring, at least i couldn't. so i had to deaden with the headliner still in the truck, just resting on the seat tops..lol....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

It is funny to talk on my cell phone in the truck now.  Before the deadening I had to have the volume all the way up, and I definetely don't anymore :)

Hard to talk on a cell phone in traffic... but i have a manual. Besides. Cellphone + driving = me pissed off when you cut me off. :pow:

and you better not be driving a low to the ground car around dusk...headlinghts + tailgateing = bad for you.

Im normally a calm driver untill people get stupid with it. Like going 35mph in the furthest left lane in a 45 where traffic generally travles 50-55...all because you are talking on the cell, drinking coffee, and putting on your make up at the same time.

:angry22:

/rant

As many of you know, my plans changed a bit lately when the Eclipse HU died. Instead I ordered an 880PRS. I have been driving around for about a week now and feel that my tuning is at least in the ballpark.

Here is a mini-review.

Considering I am running a whopping 27w to my mids, I am SHOCKED at the midbass output. It isn't chest destroying but definetely has real attack and presence. Unlike my Excel mids in my car, the CA18rnx seem to be extremely tuning friendly. I have had them playing from a high cut of 2k all the way up to 5k with a settled sweet spot of 3.15 or 4kHz. Currently they are at 4k and will probably stay there for a while. The upper end of the CA is better than the lower end of the LPG tweeter. The midrange is smooth and clear and I generally really like the sound.

The LPG tweet however, I might not purchase again. Perhaps I shouldn't complain since they are sitting so far off axis, but I purchased them exactly for their off axis response. This is the first vehicle in a long time that my tweets either haven't been on the sails or in the kicks which could really be the problem. They seem to be a little flat and dry, but accuracy does not seem to be a problem. Comparing them with the Scanspeak/Alpine D2904's that are in my car just isn't fair. The 2904's spank them in everyway possible. Again to reiterate, I do think that the mounting location has a lot to do with this and I do like the way they sound, I just expected more. Perhaps a bit more TA would help as well. At least there is absolutely no ear fatigue.

The SS Rli8 is impressive. Mine is only getting a meager 200w (still breaking it in) and it still delivers in just a .4cuft box. It is sealed and downfiring, but with a minor amount of eq (less than 2db adjustments) I can seem to tune it in and blend it flawlessly with the CA's. Right now, I have her crossed at 63Hz but the sub is still transparent when raised to 80hz but that is uneccessary because of the output of the CA's.

I am sure at some time next year, I will up the power running to the mids and probably add another 8 at that time. The truck is wired and ready for it, but for budgetary reasons I went with a single at this time.

In summary, for the money I have into the system at less than $1450 I consider it a steal. Most systems that are more than double the price don't have anywhere near the accuracy and pleasantness that my truck does. I dig it!

I still owe it some more listening time and will post my thoughts after it has seen the gamut of music, but at least I know I will be smiling throughout most of it.

The 880. I have likes and dislikes about it. First I love the capability for the price. The operation takes a bit to get used to as it seems backwards, but once you figure out the menu structure it is okay. Unlike others I don't seem to have a noise problem. There is some engine noise, but it is barely audible with an empty track playing at near full tilt and only possible to hear under heavy acceleration with nothing on from a standstill until about 2000 rpms. I might track this down later. I have found the eq to be responsive, I just wish I could shut off the stupid preset ones. I will never use the -superbass/natural/vocal- and arbitrarily you can select one occasionally when making changes which can be detrimental to things especially at high listening levels. There are other features I wish I could turn off and make unselectable as well. I have found no use for the BBE or BMX sound fields, they just seem to deteriorate the sound. The Reverse mode is stupid and got shut off instantly. The volume control moves WAY to slow, the remote is much better though. That and no mute button on the hu frustrates me as well. I have to reach for the remote before I answer my phone -- and CB unlike elders in FL, it doesn't affect my driving. Lastly, the voltage levels coming out of the RCA's don't quite reach spec.

All this doesn't mean that I don't like the deck, in fact quite the opposite. At least all the things that frustrate me I can get around. The sound quality is definetely a big step up from the high-end JVC in my car, the functionality is sweet even though I'd love 3-5 bands of full time parametric as well, the look of the unit is nice nothing overstated or tacky and generally looks great in the dash, and it does pretty much everything I need it to and for $330 that otherwise is not even close to possible. The L/R eq is worth its weight in gold and makes this the best buy per buck to me. Nothing else is even close.

--sorry for all the posts, but the server wouldn't upload it after I typed up that novel....

nice review, I wish I could hear it

Anytime you want to come by is fine, I will even cook dinner.

Go ahead and send the Rl-i more power. it will break in naturally. low power for break in is a myth.

I wish i had the time/patience to set up an awsome soundstage. Dont get me wrong my soundstage is above average, but it often slides off to the left and is lacking in the 60-100Hz area :(

Of course right now i have no sound stage...just bass.

It'll take 500W no sweat.

Will require an amp change though...

DLS A7 :)

Or a baby belle

I'd take either, or for the same money a big arse four channel and a mono block. Does anyone make a front stage amp? I'd love something like 200wx2@4 and 50wx2@4 in one amp with nothing else, unless you want to add a 1000wx1(at 1). That would be sweet.

hmmm. 50wx2@4 is easy. $100 for an alpine that is very clean and high quality.

200x2@4 on a budget is hard. None come to mind but i will keep my eyes peeled.

I just thought it would be wicked in a single amp.

Anytime you want to come by is fine, I will even cook dinner.

My travel is limited for a while :ehh: