So I was just curious when wiring a voltmeter to my amp, can I just put the power, remote, and negative wire directly into the amp where the battery wires are put in? Or do I have to try and splice them into a "Y" right before they enter the amp?

You got it right. Some people use several meters to see if there loosing voltage from the alt to the amp but if I only had one I would put it on my amp cause that way you can see what voltage your amp is seeing.

So can I wire the voltmeter directly into the positive and negative terminals of the amp?

Yes that is where you put it that way you can see exactly what voltage your amp is getting.

Most volt meters are pretty useless as their slew rate is slow.  If you want to track transients record it at a higher speed than a display.

Multiples are extra stupid

Good for what?

Pretty much nothing he sells is worth it.  All BS

I'm sorry I guess I'm just confused by your first reply...if volt meters aren't any good how should I keep an eye on voltage in your opinion?

Buy an analog panel meter.  It will sweep with voltage giving you real-time readings.

Buy an analog panel meter.  It will sweep with voltage giving you real-time readings.

Be way better.  Any voltmeter of any type will measure voltage wherever you put it in the chain.  Question is always why you are wanting to know and what you will do when you see what it is.  Much easier to answer how/what to use then.

SMD is a lying douche that is only out for one thing and that is ripping off noobs.  His stuff has zero utility and is all gimic based on a need that isn't there.  None of it works, it is really sad.

I want to put one coming off my battery and one near my amp. Just too make sure everything is powered properly, if drained to much I would add a second battery or an dc h/o alternator. 

I was looking at this any reason to think it wouldn't do the job correctly? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CIX2KDC/ref=s9_topr_hm_awbw_b1402d_g263_i21?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-13&pf_rd_r=1X4T2VAM5662G8ZZC6H3&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=db86aa0a-601c-5244-a32a-749acc762b5c&pf_rd_i=15729811

49 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Be way better.  Any voltmeter of any type will measure voltage wherever you put it in the chain.  Question is always why you are wanting to know and what you will do when you see what it is.  Much easier to answer how/what to use then.

SMD is a lying douche that is only out for one thing and that is ripping off noobs.  His stuff has zero utility and is all gimic based on a need that isn't there.  None of it works, it is really sad. Says the guy selling SMD subs. Lol

50 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

SMD is a lying douche that is only out for one thing and that is ripping off noobs.  His stuff has zero utility and is all gimic based on a need that isn't there.  None of it works, it is really sad. Says the guy selling SMD subs. Lol

57 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:
1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

There not "smd" brand. They used his name on one model of sub. He had nothing to do with making them.  

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

There not "smd" brand. They used his name on one model of sub. He had nothing to do with making them.  

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Dont know how that posted so many times

Yea I know that I just thought it was funny that they bash him when not long ago they where selling products with his name on them. So was it junk when they sold it or did it just become junk after they stopped selling it? 

7 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Yea I know that I just thought it was funny that they bash him when not long ago they where selling products with his name on them. So was it junk when they sold it or did it just become junk after they stopped selling it? 

The SMD sub has nothing to do with SMD.  It wasn't designed by him, was developed BEFORE he turned into a money grubbing lying bitch and of course is attractive for all of his idiotic followers.  If you read my post it says "his stuff" ie the crap he designed to rip noobs off.  The gain setting tool, amp dyno etc are all useless pieces of shit.  They do nothing.

8 hours ago, Cj the newbie said:

I want to put one coming off my battery and one near my amp. Just too make sure everything is powered properly, if drained to much I would add a second battery or an dc h/o alternator. 

I was looking at this any reason to think it wouldn't do the job correctly? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CIX2KDC/ref=s9_topr_hm_awbw_b1402d_g263_i21?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-13&pf_rd_r=1X4T2VAM5662G8ZZC6H3&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=db86aa0a-601c-5244-a32a-749acc762b5c&pf_rd_i=15729811

Generally that is a waste of money.  Just use a DMM and check it in your driveway.  Be great if you could find one with a peak/valley hold and hold the valley.  No reason to have one at each end of the chain either, if there isn't enough voltage at the amp there isn't enough voltage plain and simple.  Also no real reason to watch it over time as all that will tell you is if your battery/alternator are failing.