Sign in to follow this  
pimpedout97x

help with crossovers

ok first off, i know how you guys are lol, so please dont flame me.

i need help with what crossovers to get/should i just get custom ones?

now, this is what i currently have: 8 eminence apt80 tweeters, 6 eminence 6.5" midrange, and 2 eminence 6.5" midbass. i didnt realize it would be easier to set up the crossovers if i had the same number of midrange and tweets. so im gonna get 2 more 6.5" midrange, and mount them in the wall behind me. the other 6 will be in the front doors, 3 per side. there will be 4 tweets per side. and the 2 midbass will be in the kicks. now. this guy i was talking with said to run 2 seperate amps. one for the midbass, and one for the midrange/tweeters. he said to get an audiocontrol 6xs for this setup, and then to further seperate the 8 midrange and 8 tweets, he said to get some of these(not sure if/how many yet lol) http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...r=290-652&DID=7

eminencesetup.jpg

lets stop there, i have more questions but we will go from here.

as i said before, i really appreciate the help i get here, when i get it. i dont like the flamming tho lol. with that said, ill be waiting for all you guys help! thanks!

VJ

ps- after i get all this installed, ill be closer to getting another daily driver, so its not like ill be driving this everyday. just when i wanna be really loud lol...my next system will be pure SQ.

also- depending on if i can fit 3 6.5s in my door properly(without firing into the side of the seat) ill prally just sell 2 of the tweets, and run 6 tweets and 6 midrange, rahter than 8 and 8. so just picture that diagram i made with 2 less of the tweets and midrange.

Wow that is a lot of drivers. You can't even come close to doing that passive unless you want a headache from hell. What is your budget and do you need eq as well?

ok, i am helping you install all this :D

Let me know. Also, I dont think I will be needing that 15" basket after all. I might but I dont know. If I end up not using it it's yours :).

Anyway, I am with M5. Going active would be ideal here. Soldering, let alone designing, a passive crossover would be more of a head ache than pluging some RCA's in, runing a wire or two, and twisting some knobs.

On top of that a cheap active Xover will probably cost as much as all of the componets for a passive Xover that large. You could also reuse the active Xover. I dont know where you would reuse a passive Xover that large and complex. On top of that, going active means less voltage drop to your speakers which means slightly more power. :)

Why so many drivers?

How else is he going to hear the vocals over 4 MT 15's?

A loud single horn would keep up with 4 MT's. And the electronic crossover would be significantly cheaper in my book. By the time you buy all the components and flatten the impedance response of the drivers you are going to have ching in with that many driver.

If it were me, a pair of XLS 8's and some horns is what I would do to keep up.

He still needs ass loads of midbass. :)

Horns still seem like the way to go. Super efficent > super quantity.

i know but these speakers still came out to be cheaper than horns + midbass. and ive heard them in real life and they are loud as fvck. plus im just a moron and dont listen to anybody lol

Edited by pimpedout97x

Passive crossovers take the full signal (ie after amplifier) and split it into two or three chanels with the cross over slopes. An example of a passive Xover would be the little boxes that come with almost every componet set.

Active crossovers take the RCA level signal, split it into 2 or 3 seperate chanels and then modify each chanel with your desired crossover slopes and points.

Passive is great on a budget for one speaker and one tweeter and dont need steep slopes (like 24db/octave). However passive crosovers will drop voltage huring the final power output to the drivers, they also limit power capasity.

Active crossovers are generally fully adjustable meaning you can fine tune the crossover toyour particular setup. It also allows you to use seperate amps for each frequincy band and usually has steeper slopes for greater signal seperation.

A passive crossover for that many drivers would be a female dog to design and achieve a desired impeadance for the amplifier. It would also have to be 1st order butterworth for simplicity so you wont get a very steep Xover frequincy. The componets to build it would likely cost you as much as a decent active crossover (~$100 would be my estimate).

On top of that you then need to SOLDER the female dog. You also have to set it up so that it doesnt introduce any noice into the singnal (inductors + signal = bad). I'd imagine the circut would take up a good 1'x1' square of bread board and you would have to use massive (and probably multiple) resistors to handle the power going through them.

In the end active is the way to go. Active + a good powerful 2chanel amp for the midbasses and a good powerful 4chanel amp for the speakers and tweeters would be the route i personally would choose if i where doing what you are doing. :)

one sec and ill draw you a diagram :)

untitled2.gif

Ok, sorry but I have to say it one more time way too many drivers. It may be loud, but if you really, really don't care about SQ just get a PA horn tweeter and put some serious juice into it. It will be louder than the setup you have outlined above and probably sound better.

I am prety much with the whole horn idea but either way, Im helping :D

Since you are going with the Pro Audio drivers, why not just ditch the midbass and get a better wide range driver with some lowend? THere are plenty of drivers available that will cover from midbass straight up to tweeter level with little problem. You can cut down on drivers and headaches. Remember, less is better.

I like that suggestion. Unless you are going for the bling bling factor.

Definetely just ran active, then you don't need to buy anymore drivers. Where are you going to fit your big line array?

What if I didn't run midbass? I mean honestly...would I hear it with the 4 15" mts? And wouldn't it make the crossover situation easier since ill only have 8 tweets and 8 midrange, no midbass?

Exscuse my ghetto-ness. Lol.

Where do you normally cross your subs? Most MB run from sub range to about 200-300Hz so you might not miss them. Actually I wouldn't use them. I was actually wondering where you were going to put those 8 tweets?

You say I shouldn't do midbass?

Idk where I cross my subs at usually lol, this is my first system!

The 8 tweets will be in the door panels. The are 3.4"x3.4" each. I have a few ideas of how I'm gonna glass them in the panels. I'm waiting on my spare set of door panels incase I mess up mine ;-) hahaha

What I might do is put 4 tweets in each door, 1 midrange in each kick, 2 in each door, and 2 in the wall behind me, or make a pod on the headliner and have them angled down at the seats from the roof. I'm prally gonna get an epicenter or something of that nature to better the sound of these, although I'm sure ill be happy with them lol.

And for the record- I'm out of my mind BORED at work, posting and browsing forums from my blackberry. God I love this thing!