freat

rli-8 + bmw 330xi installed - pics, more to come

OK so I have a few uberquality phone pics for now, will post some more real pics later. Built a .49 ft^3 (.4 + .09 for displacement) enclosure out of 3/4 MDF so it'll bolt up to the 'ski hole' on my bimmer. Getting the angle to fit snug against the slope of the back seat was a little tough, but it came out in the end (my first box assembling experience). I did black carpet for the face, as I have black interior. Back of the enlosure is gray to match the carpet in the trunk. Box was screwed shut and glued / sealed using Loctite Construction Adhesive (claims no fumes, but I still let it dry 24 hours).

Specs:

5.25" Vifa components in the front doors (fatmat added, more on order)

2 x Rockford Fosgate 325.2 Punch amplifiers (1 amp for front, 1 for sub)

rli-8 Sub

StreetWires 1 Farad Cap

Custom (made by me) power wires (4 gauge & 8 gauge w/ techflex)

I'm crossing over at 100Hz currently, to offload the 5.25s a bit. I can cross at 80 but can't go quite as loud without the doors resonating (hence the fatmat on order). Also, I found that my back seat where I'm attaching the sub likes to resonate quite a bit, so I'll cover that up as well. Heh. Had some guys sitting in the back seat going to lunch yesterday. One was like "this is awesome" and the other just kept saying "what?". :woot:

I'll take better pictures soon... just was anxious to share the info. You can see the 'bar' grill I'm using in one of the pics. It's one for a 10" (partsexpress didn't have an 8" version) that I took the shorter end bars and use them for the center. The goal of the bars is just to protect the woofer if someone were to put the armrest up.

320dddf0b9.jpg

7672e6f044.jpg

5e4ca33409.jpg

f644714647.jpg

-Ron

nice job, and I really like the choice of equipment,

great car too, was just looking at a similar one on autotrader,

plus :WELCOME: to ssa!

Good taste in equipment, and good install. May want to think about doing a false floor to cover the amps sometime.

Good taste in equipment, and good install. May want to think about doing a false floor to cover the amps sometime.

:thanx: Thanks for the input. Yeah the false floor is already under consideration. There's actually space underneath the existing floor (above the wheel) so I can sink the amps down in, then just keep a blanket around in case I want to cover them. I guess if I do it right I could even have a couple of panels that would fit snug over the amps.

I have to take a break on the work for now though and just enjoy the sound ;)

Can't wait to see it, I am sure you are loving that setup!

i really like the look of those new punch amps. the old ones were ok but these look like something you could show off. :takepix:

Welcome to SSA, Ron :)

Nice choice of equipment - everything looks good. Bet that "little" 8" has added some nice kick.

Welcome to SSA, Ron :)

Nice choice of equipment - everything looks good.  Bet that "little" 8" has added some nice kick.

Yeah it's really amazing how good the 8" sounds firing right into the cabin. I discovered that my back seat (actually the metal plate behind the back seat) resonates pretty loud at certain frequencies. I sure wish the fatmat people would ship faster. I ordered that stuff almost three weeks ago. This is the 2nd and last time I will order from fatmat.

I need to get a test CD or hook up my laptop to run some sine sweeps and get the balance right. Since I eliminated the rear deck speakers and ran those outputs to the sub, I just fade the factory head unit to adjust the sub volume.

I may run the little 'punch' eq knob up front, as that adds some boost in for bass drum kicks... I seem to be getting pretty accurate / flat response, but sometimes I do like that kick-you-in-the-stomach bass.

I like the new Punch amps too. Could have gotten the older model cheaper, but these were just too nice looking. Will take some pics after this weekend as I'll be traveling out of town.

-Ron

some people poo poop RF amps, but the new ones are actually very good, and I like the level of quality for the punch, and as always the powers will be in my top 5

very clean!! (well,it has the potential..lol)

i like it alot..good job!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

what is that velvet, lol. j/k nice and add some zip wires and u'll be clean.