flakko

Unbiased speculation on the upcoming TC-SMT

i was thinking about putting 2 (maybe 1 depending on price) of them behind my seats on the floor instead of the AE subs

TCSMT0.jpg

http://www.tcsounds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10

BL^2/Re is around 160, which is more than our TC-3000.

This motor is simply insane and its only a 2" voice coil too. I think this picture of the motor clearly demonstrates just how robust it really is. That magnet ring you see is neodymium, many times stronger than ceramic. This will be the worlds best shallow mount period. The SMT is not a low budget shallow mount compromise and should give our 2k and 3K a run for their money above 35-40hz.

i mean if what kyle says is true, this could be my next sub.

first ed bashing aside and now unbiased speculation, you like to ask a lot from people replying to these threads, lol.

anyways i think there are around $300 a piece, not bad if one will do the job but i'd be afraid it wouldn't have the output. only the people who've heard it can say for sure.

it would be cool for glassed door mounted installs

i have listened/installed two brands of shallow mount...pioneer and clarion. of the two, only the clarion impressed. the pioneer acted more liek a midbass driver then a subwoofer, whereas the clarion is a true sub. the downside to the clarion is that it's only available as a ten. the pioneer's terminals suck too...lol..

as to this one, if it's anything like tc's other products, it'll be very impressive for a shallow mount. to be honest, i'd like to try a pair under my silverado's back seat...

my unbiased specualtion? it'll be worth the money as a shallow mount, tight space subwoofer, but will be overshadowed and overpriced compared to similiarly priced subs that are more traditional in size.

maybe i can get kyle to send me a pair to play with??

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My guess is better than the rest of the shallows for two major reasons. 1) TC Sounds and 2) 15mm of Xmax will actually make it a sub.

NP: Unbiased Speculation, Funkadelic

/\ obviously not, but it sure sounds like a 70's George Clinton release but I guess his was Biological Speculation

Looks sexy as hell.

In the far future I am planning on doing a very low profile install in my truck and regain my back seats... as in next summer. I was thinking about glassing two 12's into the rear doors and using the door as the enclousre and port them. If these turn out to be good, They are a deffanite possibility as I only have 6" depth in the door.

QTS is way too low for what I would use it for. I am thinking of getting 2 10" Earthquake SWS for the rear deck of my goat. Just as a for the hell of it project. Then compare it to using the brahma ported in the trunk.

Wow, that Qts/Qes is so low it's retarded; if Fs were a little higher, that would be a stunning candidate for a horn; still would be pretty stellar. I don't see it working very well IB or in sealed alignments of Qtc 0.8 or lower, which in my opinion negates a lot of the advantages of going with shallow mount sub, but it should do very well in small ported enclosures; of course, this brings the obvious challenge of trying to get a low Fb in a small enclosure.

The other odd thing I have noticed is that those who don't have the room or aren't willing to make the room often aren't willing to pay the price either, so if this will be a fairly expensive venture, I'm not sure that it would work out as a high volume seller.

We'll have to wait and see how well it's received.

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by Punk0Rama

Ive felt all 3 and the TC feels like a sub, that eathquake "thing" has made in china all over it.

i say ignore the t/s parameteres..since when does a tc sub model well? everyone puts way too much emphasis on paper..real world is completely different.

one thing i do agree with though, devildriver hit a great point. usually people who are after saving space are after saving a dollar. this will be an expensive option, but hopefully one that will get noticed and chosen

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i say ignore the t/s parameteres..since when does a tc sub model well? everyone puts way too much emphasis on paper..real world is completely different.

Paper isn't everything, but it is a starting point. That QTS is way too low to ignore. I see no way even in the real world that this sub will work in IB applications like door sub or rear deck. I could see something as low as .3 working, even then I have my doubts, but .185!??! I just don't see it. Hopefully I will be shown otherwise when it is out and someone tests it. I will follow it. If I could glass 2 tens in my rear deck that have solid IB performance, I'd more than likely sell the brahma to get my trunk back. I am in need of a shallow to do this though, because my gas tank is mounted behind the rear seats under the deck. I have like 2.75" between the deck and tank. I could give myself up to 1.5" more with baffles on top of the deck giving me 4.25" to play with. So these shallows have been interesting to me, but most fail in some way or another.

They even mention trying to market as a wall sub for home??! So maybe the paper is wrong and real world application is different.

If TC's BL and Cms curves are as flat as they say they are then, power compression aside, those parameters will hold true in a real world application.

Of course, if power compression is bad enough and doubles Re, then Qts/Qes will be bumped up nicely :D

Cheers,

Neil

It seems as if they are setting up for it to be more marketed towards the HT crowd to have an in wall subwoofer where enclosure volume isnt a big deal...just mounting depth.

:)

daMan, devil...

when i say ignore the t/s, i don't mean jsut throw away. like man mentioned,to me, theya re there for reference, a starting point. everything, as you devil alluded too, everything changes once installed, power applied too..etc.

i'm no engineer and won't pretend to understand half of what you guys do. but i do know that whatever is on paper is hardly ever the case in car, wall, home. paper says it's agreat sealed sub, but it performs awesomely ported, or vice versa.

i do think these need put to the test, as for their price point, they are up there with some heavy hitters. not shallow mount, i have yet to hear an truely awesome shallow mount. the clarion version being the best to date. i'd love to snag a pair of these subs and play...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i think in the initial thread, my question was answered on my speculation.

"The SMT is not a low budget shallow mount compromise and should give our 2k and 3K a run for their money above 35-40hz."

While this maybe a good shallow mount subwoofer, the low end is lacking is if it is good above 35hz or more. I like how the Mag is a beater around 30hz and won't give that up.

i think in the initial thread, my question was answered on my speculation. 

"The SMT is not a low budget shallow mount compromise and should give our 2k and 3K a run for their money above 35-40hz."

While this maybe a good shallow mount subwoofer, the low end is lacking is if it is good above 35hz or more.  I like how the Mag is a beater around 30hz and won't give that up.

^^^ hehe well the thing is, the mag wont fit in the back of my seats :P

i know it's old, but it's here, lol.

anyone heard these things yet? did they live up to the hype of the "world's greatest shallow mount sub"?

an update to mine, after hearing the new kicker cvts, these would really have to perform to be considered teh world's greatest. the cvts jsut flat out rock. and are half the price, $150 for a ten, $170 for a 12.

i'd still like to snag a few (4 single 4 tens if you have them kyle, lol) adn compare them h2h with the cvts.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the subwoofer world...

...was never the same again.

Didn't you get the memo?

:P

no..... :(

i was left outa the loop.

*falls to knees, arms spread looking at the heavens*

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

yyyyyyyy??????????????????????????

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: