CBFryman

The Towncar (with updates)

The car is finally here. Here is just a bum load of pics, mostly old, and 4 new. More to come once I do more. So far all I've done is solder the CD player harnes, run wires, and figure out how I'm going to mount the speakers.

Picture468.jpg

Picture469.jpg

Picture471.jpg

Picture470.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Picture474.jpg

Picture473.jpg

Picture490.jpg

Picture489.jpg

Picture482.jpg

And now for some new

Picture492.jpg

Pimp Mobile

Picture493.jpg

Needs sound deadening. The skin is pretty solid but the inside is like swiss cheese

Picture494.jpg

Crutchfeild thinks I'm mounting an old tape player I geuss. To walmart I go for a Sosche kit. Damn do I hate sosche kits.

Picture495.jpg

The halfarsed painted box. 1st coat and I ran out of paint. This stuff doesnt go on very thick. It looks nice in person though.

As you can see the box was built that wide so that there would be space on the side, where I'm mounting the amps tucked in. They will have good breathing room. The speakers will be mounted in the stock location with MDF backing and a lot of deadening around them. I'm also sealing the doors and the money that he gave me for pod materials is going into more sound deadening and a pair of Second Skin IB deflex pads. The tweeters are going to be mounted as far forward as possible on the dash in the corners. It's where I have mine and the two dashes are shapped similar. He likes the sound of mine so I'm just going with it.

More work to be done after class and work.

I would have made the box wider so your baffle wouldn't look so flimsy, not nearly enough wood near the drivers for my tastes.

It looks okay Chris...........it could be alot better though. Next time test paint befroe applying.

J

those trunks and those cars scream for an upfiring box, with either side loading or rear loading ports. and it'll go along way in teh custom touch department....not too mention output...

also, there is sooo much room on that deck, we have two amps, a blue top, 8 memphis sync crossovers and enough room left to work in. why didn't you go that route?

here's a four twelve ported box. over 8cuft net.

lincolninstall001yi1.th.jpg

eventually, the sub amp ended up on a rack that ran just in front of the box and sealed off the deck. to be blunt, your install looks like ass at the moment, and if your friend isn't disappointed, he should be.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The spare tire is mounted up on the deck, going with the stock look. I wanted to put them up there he didnt. The other option was on the sides of the well where it is flat but it just isnt wide enough.

This dash is giving me a headache with where I want to put the tweeters.

Picture494.jpg

That is a one size fits all kind of deal . If your mounting a din chassis , your supposed to remove the two shaft tabs . :)

Thanks Ramos. :)

I geuss I'm too used to chitty sosche units that have flimsy little tabs that your brake off with your breath. I just cut it with a jig saw so I geuss I did what I was sapposed to do. :)

you know, you could have just scooted the spare tire over, and mounted the amps, stacked, to one side. we've done that a bunch of times as well. and to keep from piercing the fuel tank, we just tuck a scrap piece of wood under the carpet and screw the amps to that.

there are so many options in that trunk, that the way you took really amounts to the easy way out. and definitely not the best looking. a little more thought, or maybe presenting the build before you got started, might of produced a different approach. and one all parties could always be proud of.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The car is finally here. Here is just a bum load of pics, mostly old, and 4 new. More to come once I do more. So far all I've done is solder the CD player harnes, run wires, and figure out how I'm going to mount the speakers.

[Picture489.jpg

Is it just me or do the Tinsel leads on that sub sem REALLY tight??

J

I'd still build a new box that one looks teh wimpy.

On second look it does look as if the subs could kill the box.........between weight and flex.......yeah.

J

The leads are shaped weird. They arc up and then drop straight. So far I havent had a problem with them.

Great so far, let me know how you like the Head unit. I have been looking into getting another alpine...i havent used on in years

Some update pics tonight. Well 2.

Picture496.jpg

Weldingsupply.com vs Ebay

Picture497.jpg

chitty Pic of a home made Y cable

Picture498.jpg

Working on getting the tweeters flushed

Picture499.jpg

I hate dash boards

Picture501.jpg

Pre-CB specialty molding clay. Instead of non hardening modleing clay I got something else. I will clue you in on that later. Beleive it or not there is almost 3sqft right on and around the baffle there. Thoes doors are flimsy like aluminum foil.

Keep the pix coming.

Well I will not be purchaseing from RAAMatt agian. Extremely inferior to Second Skin IMO, much more dirty, and as liquidy as the adheasive is at 70 degrees am praying it will stay on at 110+. I do not reccomend it at all.

It stays on really well in fact. Sounds to me like you are basing your decision on the "much more dirty" which I don't get. To me deadening is all about bang for the buck since you need a crapload of it. Nothing beats the Raamat for that.

I'm hopeing it does. But the adheasive is very liquidy and it just doesnt justify the extra $0.20 per square foot in my opinion.

Picture503.jpg

Picture504.jpg

Picture505.jpg

Picture506.jpg

I finally heard some music from it today. The battery was really low though. The current battery just isnt holding a charge. He is getting a new one once I finish.

I'm not trying to knock on you here man, but that box is ugly. If you got the finish better it wouldn't be so bad, but its pretty blotchy and if people were paying me for a product I wouldn't allow that outa my door. But thats just my .02$

Not quite sure how you managed to get your hands so dirty with the Raamat. I put my last batch on in hotter weather than you describe and used three and a half rolls, my hands weren't nearly as dirty as yours. I am amazed at how well it sticks to, my amp rack is actually glued to the Raamat and it is holding the whole rack up fine.

The finish doesnt look blotchy in person. I dont know why it shows up like that on camera.

My hands got dirty because the adheasive is so runny. The paper is piss poor and continued to tear so I would have to start it agian. Second Skin is just a superior product.

don't have an opinion on SS vs RM, as i've not used either, but i still wouldn't pay for that install like that. it's ghetto. unless you billed it as such, there isn't anything custom about that trunk. and please tell me the wires in the trunk will be hidden and not just ran on top of the carpet like that.

and the paint is blotchy, the camera's eye will almost always pick up what we can't see.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: