brent338

Speaker bs...

So after some talking here on the forum, I have a Orion 2500D on the way.

I was thinking of putting 2 FiAudio 18" Q's in a Jeep cherokee, box would net about 12.5 total cubes, so a little over 6 cubes per 18". Say goodbye to cargo space....

However I have seen some comparision of this brand vs. that brand... and am at a loss.

The TC-sound subs look good, some say(on ROE forum) better than Fi-Q in SQ & SPL, due to higher BL. Yet I have not found many spl test on them, but wouldn't doubt it being possible.

The Massive audio WC sub looks decent too, putting up 145.8 for one 12" sub on the TL, on the ROE vids... very impressive, looks kinda cheap though...?

Anyways just looking for some ideas on what would give me the best bang for my buck... With that amount of power & airspace.

2-18"s or 3-15"s ... can't decide, would like to stay in the 15-18 size.

any ideas/ other brands in that price range? :ughdunno:

Which tc's were you looking at? (I do like the dual Q idea).

ROE is running rampid with morons. Take what most of them say as a grain of salt in your decision.

BL, though a factor in how a driver acts, is taken at rest position and means little once the coil starts moving very far from rest position. I'm not saying the Q is better than what ever TC you are speaking of...but you can only play a T/S parameter game to a cetian point. That especially holds true with parameters that change with coil movement.

say the TC-3000, 15"... they only make an 18" in the 5200 and up series, but those are pretty spendy.

So just stay with the Q's? would they handle all of the orion 2500D? or should I go with a modified BL version; P-chamber, venting...? ect.

I'd go with a fully modded BL for the extra power handleing. I dont know what the Q's can handle but I personally like to stay on the safe side.

TC-3000's are good motors. Deffanitely comparable and possibly better than the Q. However, saying it is so because the TC-3000 has higher Bl is uneducated to say the least. :)

The TC-sound subs look good, some say(on ROE forum) better than Fi-Q in SQ & SPL, due to higher BL.

That could not be more false. If we would like to make blanket statements, then yes, higher BL^2/Re can potentially allow for higher SPL measurements, but there is no definitive yes or no to that statement. In terms of SQ, that is a really, really hard argument to make. When considering what creates BL, one of the first things I think about is: "is that higher BL due to a tighter gap, a bigger stack, or a larger voice coil?" If the answer is indeed the last option, then you can expect higher inductance, which will affect your transient rise time and your upper frequency response. Also, higher rest BL without any BL linearity can be pretty damaging in terms of really accenting any distortion.

Wait till you see some more definitive measurements before you believe what they are saying.

figured so...

I never took much time to examine the meaning of all the different perameters that are listed for any subwoofer. Well other than; RMS, Sens., x-max, coil size, ...the easy stuff.

Fi-Audio seems to be making some quality subs for great prices, and great cust. service so i'll probably go with them. I just thought I'd ask the experts if that was the best choice for the set-up I gave...

I saw soundsplinter was making some rlp's? in 18", looks promising as well.

figured so...

I never took much time to examine the meaning of all the different perameters that are listed for any subwoofer. Well other than; RMS, Sens., x-max, coil size, ...the easy stuff.

Fi-Audio seems to be making some quality subs for great prices, and great cust. service so i'll probably go with them. I just thought I'd ask the experts if that was the best choice for the set-up I gave...

I saw soundsplinter was making some rlp's? in 18", looks promising as well.

Making a choice based solely on business practices and customer service, I would recommend either the Q or the Rl-p. Nothing against TC, but I like them better when they only OEM and don't post on internet forums.

:)

personaly i havent had any trouble with TCs customer service. it might take them a while to respond to questions and orders but what other company would upgrade your order at no extra cost? they upgraded my 12" LMS-5400 to a 15" without the extra cost. they even told me that "if you dont like that subwoofer send it back and we will send you a different one". they have been excelent with costumer service towards me, and most other costumers. they are realy trying but they have been realy busy for a while.

Nothing against TC, but I like them better when they only OEM and don't post on internet forums.

I lol'd

I think a lot of TC's problems was because of how they presented their store front in the forums. However, they where rather pressing on their new baskets when I wanted to have a TC9 reconed using a 12 spoke basket.

So the general consenus would be Fi - BL/Q, or SS - Rl-p.

With I imagine the nod going to Fi in the spl area...

And SS in the SQ area...roughly speaking.

I am curious to see the new Rl-p 18" though... 47mm of one-way mech X-max!

wonder how it would stack up to the BL/Q?

All i have to say is enclosure design is everything. Don't get too cought up in drivers that are close to the same and the t/s specs of the drivers.

Where did this come from?

It'd be wrong to assume that automatically :) Depends on the listener's preferences...

So the general consenus would be Fi - BL/Q, or SS - Rl-p.

With I imagine the nod going to Fi in the spl area...

I am curious to see the new Rl-p 18" though... 47mm of one-way mech X-max!

wonder how it would stack up to the BL/Q?

huge x-mech isn't all that important.

Espcailly Xmech...

may look good on paper.. but when implemented wrong all that fancy numbers mean nothing In my honest opinion....

We aren't saying that the Rl-P 18 will be bad. I'm sure it will be awsome. We are saying X-Whatever is not the most important spec. Especially xMech, which a lot of drivers will fail thermally before they could dream of reaching.

All i have to say is enclosure design is everything. Don't get too cought up in drivers that are close to the same and the t/s specs of the drivers.

:ehh: So flip a coin, then build a good enclosure. got it.

:ehh: So flip a coin, then build a good enclosure. got it.

between the Q and the rl-p? yeah, that's a pretty good solution. both have outstanding reps, excellent people behind them and have proven themselves a few times over. you wouldn't be hurting yourself with either choice.

toss in the bl for a little more output potential. or if you really wanna go nuts, the rl-s.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: