Puggsley456

MD.1D

I finally got this amp installed today. And based on the comparison to my previous sub amp PG ti600.2 which was rated at 604rms@4ohm. I can say that either the PG amp was overrated or the merlin was underrated by quite a bit. In output they seem very close @ 4ohm. But the difference in efficiency is HUGE!

You mean your pg amp was more efficient then the md.1d?

I have two of them and they are WAY more efficient then my two rubicons that have half the power of the md.1d

You mean your pg amp was more efficient then the md.1d?

I have two of them and they are WAY more efficient then my two rubicons that have half the power of the md.1d

No I meant the merlin is way more efficient than the ti. I had a real chance today to do some listening. And there is a noticable increase in overall sub controll and SQ with the merlin on my substage. Its truely remarkable. Now with the merlin in, now granted it is still at 4 ohm, Playing at max volume my voltage doesnt drop below 13.5v. Befaore with the ti on the substage I would drop to 12.8v on hard hits.

Merlin MD.1D.....400rms@4ohm.....my ass...LOL

All I can say is I am Very Impressed! :)

Edited by Puggsley456

OH I hear ya buddy

Imagine mine bro

2 Merlin MD.1D @ 1ohm

Just imagine how loud it gets oh my !!

PUggs, if you want do a little review on the US Amps.

PUggs, if you want do a little review on the US Amps.

I will thats a given. I just want to wait until I have it all dialed in. :)

Ok great, look forward to it. We have seen plenty of MD2 reviews, but not enough MD1 or MD3 yet.

Well tommorrow we'll see what this baby can really do. I'm puting me eD 16Ov.2 back in @ 1 ohm. In a fresh box(Thanks Mark). But I have a question in regards to the MD.1D s dampining factor. Does its dampining factor change when going from 4 ohm down to 1 ohm?

IIRC the damping factor does change. by how much, i dont know to tell you the truth.

BUT! i cant wait to see that review man!

I have seen a plaxi back made for the MD1D.....my only question is.....why does the board look so small in the case? If the board is indeed smaller than the case itself ,why not make a overall smaller amplifier? I guess most amplifier producing companies have the mind set that customers think that bigger is better, if that was the case the new Alpine PDX amplifier would not be doing so well.....I would love for the big amplfier trend to slow a bit and offer compact powerful amplifiers for easy mounting and stealth installs....isnt this one benefit of the class D amplifiers....smalll footprints?

pics here...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.p...;highlight=MD1D

Edited by unpredictableacts

Two words.

Heat dissipation.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

meaning that is the reason for such a large unused area of unused shell? or he will have a problem with heat with those plexi covers?

if the first one is the case why are there som emany amplifiers that can avoid heat problems and dont have to allow such a large area of unsed heatsink? I like the specs of the amplifier and it is tough to beat the US amps name but I am pressed for space, yet a crossfire BMF 1000d fits the bill fine.

Do those amplifiers you speak of compare to the merlin in terms of watt, efficiency and over all delivery....?

these amps can deliver power on even the stock electrical systems due to design.... Heat dissipation is a key factor in an amps ability to drop low on ohms and deliver accurate wattage.....

I'd rather have the housing bigger allowing my amp to breathe and last longer play harder and more efficient in lower ohms rating, then to have a compact amp covering the board.... Heat sinks move heat away from the amps internals but at the same time metal retains heat.. imagine heating a piece of metal would you rather your hand be close to it or further away ?

Edited by theabunai