Audio Junkies

Enclosure finish... anyone know what this is?

You guys may make me take a true interest in home audio yet

J

I'm diggin the finish on this enclosure...It appears to be some sort of tile or kitchen counter material.
It's a laminate used on countertops that just looks like a natural stone. Look in the laminate sections at Formica or Wilsonart. The vertical grade is the thinnest and shows the smallest lines at the corners of the box. The "grout" lines that everyone keeps mentioning are either cut directly into the laminate with a pointed router bit or the box was covered with laminate pieces with a slightly beveled edge.
How hard do you guys think it would be to do something similar? I'm seriously considering it.
It's a very easy process. Cut the laminate slightly larger than what you are going to cover. "Paint" both sides with contact cement and let it get dry to the touch. Place wax paper on box and place the laminate down on top of it. Slowly slide the paper out and press the glued surfaces together. Once they touch, they are stuck. That's why you have to get everything lined up first. Use a J-roller to really get some pressure. Slide some more paper out and repeat. Once the entire piece is adhered to the box, get a router and a laminate bit to trim the overhang flush with the box. Repeat on all sides of the box.

I covered a pair of speakers in green marble for my sister-in-law back in 1993. They still look EXACTLY like they did 15 years ago. The material is very tough.

-Robert

Robert- thank you very much for the info.

Those two places you linked have some amazing laminate finishes. I'm ordering up some samples right now.

that poor mag12, lol. it's gotta be feeling a bit inferior.

robert, any pics of said 15 year old speakers? be cool to see something that old looking that good. great links too, btw.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I have experience with an IB sub. 4 15" Tempests receiving 200watts each. For music it was INCREDIBLE: not heavy or bloated, just amazingly detailed and a pleasure to listen to.

Unfortunately I'm more like 75% HT, and it seemed to lack the punch/impact over the 2 Tempest ported sonosub it replaced.

If going for music with the Maggies I can all but assure you that you won't be dissappointed with an IB sub. Although you might want 2 of those 25" monsters, seriously. The "norm" seems to be to run double the amount of subs you normally would.

Good luck on the decision and box if you decided to go that route...

Funny, Jim Winey has an IB setup with his. Seems to me if the owner, designer, and founder of Magnepan prefers IB the other Maggie guys might follow suit. I am sure the bias that you read was based on space and not preference or perhaps even education. The classic internet boner is to promote what you have and not at all what is best. Jim's soundroom in his house is amazing by the way, by far the best sound room I have ever made measurements in. Not the quietest, but the best.

Wow, I'd kill to check his soundroom out. Care to give any details on what exactly he has?

I've got a 25" Tsuzureko that I have been saving for a rainy day and I also have a pretty large space under the stairway in our house...

hemptsuzurekodit5.jpg

Not sure exactly what he has now, when I was there it was to do some room acoustic measurements he had all sorts of gear. 5 chn of the big MG's and enough amps to power 5 times as many. He will still in setup mode as he was building a new house at the time. Classic room treatments including hidden standing wave traps at the edges of the room. It was the first time I heard an SACD and through that setup it ripped.

robert, any pics of said 15 year old speakers? be cool to see something that old looking that good. great links too, btw.
I didn't say it looked good. I said it looked the same as the day I built them. That's a big difference. I think they are hideous. Green marble to match the green logo on the woofer.

It's a 3 way design using an Annihilator 10" woofer (Earthquake's cheaper brand), a Pyramid 2" dome mid and Pyramind 1" dome tweeter. This was back when I was just starting to build speakers so I used a textbook crossover with 2nd order slopes. The enclosure is ported and tuned to about 35 hz. It would make a great dorm speaker because it rocks. Not a bit of sound quality.

I have experience with an IB sub. 4 15" Tempests receiving 200watts each. For music it was INCREDIBLE: not heavy or bloated, just amazingly detailed and a pleasure to listen to.

Unfortunately I'm more like 75% HT, and it seemed to lack the punch/impact over the 2 Tempest ported sonosub it replaced.

With a parametric EQ you could have easily dialed in a hump in the frequency response to give you that punch that was lacking. Were you the only guy over at The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled that didn't like their IB sub?

-Robert

I didn't say it looked good. I said it looked the same as the day I built them. That's a big difference. I think they are hideous. Green marble to match the green logo on the woofer.

It's a 3 way design using an Annihilator 10" woofer (Earthquake's cheaper brand), a Pyramid 2" dome mid and Pyramind 1" dome tweeter. This was back when I was just starting to build speakers so I used a textbook crossover with 2nd order slopes. The enclosure is ported and tuned to about 35 hz. It would make a great dorm speaker because it rocks. Not a bit of sound quality.

lol, my bad. but i'd still like to see 'em. we are truly suckers for pics around here.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I got my samples from Armstrong, and they look like crap. I'm amazed they market this stuff as having a "metallic" finish.

If it's a vinyl composition, a good wax and buff will bring a dramatically different effect.