Audio Junkies

Enclosure finish... anyone know what this is?

I'm diggin the finish on this enclosure...

woof.jpg

It appears to be some sort of tile or kitchen counter material.

How hard do you guys think it would be to do something similar? I'm seriously considering it.

Edited by Audio Junkies

Looks like nothing more than lineoleum, with a lot of attention paid to the making the corners come out right...grout lines look to pretty and small to be real tile :)

Looks like nothing more than lineoleum, with a lot of attention paid to the making the corners come out right...grout lines look to pretty and small to be real tile :)

What it looks like to me...

You usually use thin grout lines for granite/marble tile. It actually looks a lot like my fireplace which I covered in granite.

i was going to say granite also, i've been considering the idea for a while (not real granite)

i'm betting that if you get ahold of the right counter company they'd be more than happy to sell the sizes needed for cheap. that or just gank a bookbag full of the samples you can get at like lowes, a lot of time and some contact cement and it'd look about the same, just more lines

Those look like granite tiles from home depot that are 1'x1' and a buck a piece on sale. I covered my fireplace with those.

12400321839.jpg

I do realize that mine are marble but the week that I chose to do it that is what was on sale, not the granite.

That polish is just not available on anything other than stone. It has to be natural or ceramic tile. I have seen VCT and peel and stick vinyl that looks like that, but of course, not the finish.

Thanks for the help guys.

M5- how hard are those granite tiles to cut and do I need anything special (tile saw)? Also, will Lowe's or HD cut them to size for me?

I imagine it would be much easier to just use vinyl tiles.

Check out this color shifting Chrome Granite VCT from Armstrong... (halfway down) http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/lu...inyl-floors.jsp

Have you considered an actual laminate? There is going to be a larger variety and you can avoid the "tile" look.

You can rent a "wet saw" to cut the tiles. Ceramic you can just score & snap, but marble is too dense. Looks very nice and would be worth the effort.

Have you considered wood sides with just a marble/granite top?

You can rent a "wet saw" to cut the tiles. Ceramic you can just score & snap, but marble is too dense. Looks very nice and would be worth the effort.

Have you considered wood sides with just a marble/granite top?

I'd want to do the whole enclosure in the same material.

I've also been toying with the idea of having a clear plexiglass enclosure made for a while. I've got a local connection that might be able to do it and give me a discount. I'm afraid even with a discount it might be pretty expensive though.

Basically I'm just looking for something you don't see everyday. I've got my heart set on a LMS4000 or LMS4100 and want to show it off.

do a proper IB setup with the driver(s) mounted on a plexi baffle

IB with plexi? Definitely not something you see all the time, not sure you'd want to see what's behind an IB baffle though :D

Pretty grout lines are easy if you use spacers. If that is granite/ or marble tile, then that sumbitch weighs way more than it should lol.

IB with plexi? Definitely not something you see all the time, not sure you'd want to see what's behind an IB baffle though :D

I don't need to see the rafters and insulation in my attic lol.

Edited by IamDeMan

I used a cheap wet saw from HomeDepot. The crap ass Workforce one. On sale it was $60. The local tile store wants $2 a cut otherwise...

Just got off of the phone with a guy that does acrylic fishtanks. He said all of the plastic derivitives (lexan, plexi, etc.) pretty much suck for subwoofer enclosures because of the way they resonate. The cheapest I could get an acrylic enclosure for was $600 anyways, so that is out of the question.

This subwoofer will be used with my Magnepan's, and from what I have read IB setups will not be as clean as a sealed enclosure. The Maggie guys seem to prefer sealed enclosures.

To be honest I have never heard a good IB setup in person though.

and from what I have read IB setups will not be as clean as a sealed enclosure. The Maggie guys seem to prefer sealed enclosures.

Careful what you read, CA.com should teach you that :D

IB can be as clean sounding, if not more, than a sealed setup...

Careful what you read, CA.com should teach you that :D

IB can be as clean sounding, if not more, than a sealed setup...

Hahaha, too true.

I really have zero experience with IB though. Where is a good place to read up on it without all the BS? I already did some searches and didn't really find anything that was very thorough.

I was thinking like in a wall that shows another room

IB is THE most natural form of "enclosure" in existence. Nothing to attribute to the sound but the driver itself. All resistance is handled by the motor and suspension. There is no other force to act on the driver. Well, in the best circumstances at least. There's always a variable in air pressure throughout a house, then you also have to take in effect the mounting of the driver and potential resonance there, but all other things aside, IB is the way of the world. No other air spring. Can't get any more natural than that.

DIYAudio.com might be a good place to look as well, I know there are a bunch of people there with IB setups.

Whole lot cheaper than a $600 acrylic box, that's for sure :D

Just got off of the phone with a guy that does acrylic fishtanks. He said all of the plastic derivitives (lexan, plexi, etc.) pretty much suck for subwoofer enclosures because of the way they resonate. The cheapest I could get an acrylic enclosure for was $600 anyways, so that is out of the question.

This subwoofer will be used with my Magnepan's, and from what I have read IB setups will not be as clean as a sealed enclosure. The Maggie guys seem to prefer sealed enclosures.

To be honest I have never heard a good IB setup in person though.

Funny, Jim Winey has an IB setup with his. Seems to me if the owner, designer, and founder of Magnepan prefers IB the other Maggie guys might follow suit. I am sure the bias that you read was based on space and not preference or perhaps even education. The classic internet boner is to promote what you have and not at all what is best. Jim's soundroom in his house is amazing by the way, by far the best sound room I have ever made measurements in. Not the quietest, but the best.

Funny, Jim Winey has an IB setup with his. Seems to me if the owner, designer, and founder of Magnepan prefers IB the other Maggie guys might follow suit. I am sure the bias that you read was based on space and not preference or perhaps even education. The classic internet boner is to promote what you have and not at all what is best. Jim's soundroom in his house is amazing by the way, by far the best sound room I have ever made measurements in. Not the quietest, but the best.

Wow, I'd kill to check his soundroom out. Care to give any details on what exactly he has?

I've got a 25" Tsuzureko that I have been saving for a rainy day and I also have a pretty large space under the stairway in our house...

hemptsuzurekodit5.jpg