Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Sundown Audio Nightshade Numbers

as you must have known i was kidding about the whole chrome thing. performance > bling.

can you give us some size specs such as mounting depth and such? or did that already pop up in this thread?

There was no mention made :)

I will give out more details when the new 12" prototype comes in, which supposedly should be soon.

That be a serious sub there. :D

Edit: The motor is just about taller then the basket!

Edited by SteveSan

It is a beast alright :)

I'm very pleased... hoping to get them to production soon in 12" and 15" sizes initially.

Looks nice Jacob, I just wish you'd hurry the ****up. lol

*laughs*

One can only go so fast when it has to be just right :)

Your office is still a mess. ;)

Holy chit! That thing beats the crap out of the Mach 5 SPL 12 and looks like it will beat a BTL no problem as well.

Looks nice Jacob, I just wish you'd hurry the ****up. lol

*laughs*

One can only go so fast when it has to be just right :)

I know...I know... :dammit:

Holy chit! That thing beats the crap out of the Mach 5 SPL 12 and looks like it will beat a BTL no problem as well.

no. you cannot possibly state that with the info given. the spl 12 is a potent driver. I'm sure the nightshade will be very nice as well, but it will be install dependant. bottom line- there isn't near enough info to state anything of that nature, just yet.

no. you cannot possibly state that with the info given. the spl 12 is a potent driver. I'm sure the nightshade will be very nice as well, but it will be install dependant. bottom line- there isn't near enough info to state anything of that nature, just yet.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant in size and beefiness of the sub, not in numbers necessarily. Either way I am sure it will give either of those 2 a run for their money and adds another option to Fi, DD, RE, Mach 5, Audioque and Treo for an awesome SPL sub.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant in size and beefiness of the sub, not in numbers necessarily. Either way I am sure it will give either of those 2 a run for their money and adds another option to Fi, DD, RE, Mach 5, Audioque and Treo for an awesome SPL sub.

Indeed, it is quite beefy. Measurement wize I think it is larger than any of those with triple 1" x 9" slugs. Size isn't everything as I did not over-motor the sub.

It is made to be listenable with acceptable box response daily, since I realize not everyone competes in SPL, so every tenth of SPL output was not the prime target -- it has a 0.40 Qts and an Fs of 38-40 Hz after break-in time on the 12" model.

It should do quite well on the meter still, though, the motor is as strong as many competitive subs that I have measured like the DD 9500F and the BTL.

Your office is still a mess. ;)

I just cleaned it a few days before that picture *laughs*

Mine is almost as bad. ;)

We put the Nightshade in Sean's truck and beat the crap out of it with 4x SAZ-1500Ds at 1/2 ohm nominal each (about 1.15 ohm each with impedance rise):

Nightshade_box.jpg

* 4.5 ft^3 box tuned to around 35 Hz or so (same box from SDE post)

Nigthshade_box_front.jpg

* Front of the woofer in the "wall" setup

Peak was at 54 Hz and SPL is as follows:

40.9 watts @ 133.0 dB

141.1 watts @ 137.8 dB

311.3 watts @ 140.7 dB

513.4 watts @ 142.7 dB

811.5 watts @ 144.5 dB

1731.2 watts @ 146.9 dB

2845 watts @ 148.1 dB

4505 watts @ 149.2 dB

7081 watts @ 151.2 dB -- Still gained 2 dB at this point, very little compression

The next step blew one coil on the Nigthshade... so we didn't get any more SPL readings. Our meters don't have peak hold so I only got the voltage reading down before the current meter hit zero (coil opened up, didn't short). Based on my voltage reading we estimate it to have been around 10,000 watts or so.

Cause of death appears to have been slight coil rock. No problem as the next revision will be getting stiffer spiders, a stiffer cone, and a higher power handling coil. So next time around I am looking to burp at 10kw with no failure :)

Scores are looking good all things considered. The box is heavily braced inside as it was made for two sealed 12" woofers. This creates turbulence and is bad for SPL. The port is also only 36 in^2 since it was just a hack job box for testing.

PS: Sorry Rich! Don't worry... I'll be re-coning this to the new parts as soon as possible then you get your turn with it.

nice #####################

Production has began...

They will be available as follows around February:

12" Sizes in D1 and D2

15" Sizes in D1 and D2

18" and 10" sizes will come later one.

I will start a pre-order around January... unless people wanted to pre-order them now (don't mind the wait), I could go ahead and open it if enough request was present.

Production has began...

12" Sizes in D1 and D2

15" Sizes in D1 and D2

I will start a pre-order around January... unless people wanted to pre-order them now (don't mind the wait), I could go ahead and open it if enough request was present.

what type of cost are we talkin Jacob if you dont feel like postin it up email or call me

Production has began...

12" Sizes in D1 and D2

15" Sizes in D1 and D2

what type of cost are we talkin Jacob if you dont feel like postin it up email or call me

E-Mail me for Team cost.

Sign in to follow this