Sign in to follow this  
smokinkane

How long before SPL model?

I'm at the point that I'm interested in replacing my Ascendant Audio 10" Assassin with either another 10" with something a little more powerful. I'm interested in the SPL subs that Loyd tested. Does anybody know when they will be for sale? If its going to be a long time, lets talk about the loudness difference between my 10" Assassin, and maybe a 12" MAW powered off 300watts. I've also been looking at tc's t1000 line, I like the looks of them, mechanically. I really would like something in either a 10 or 12 that moves alot of air with 300watts.

Well, jumping from a 10" to a 12" will certainly provide you with more air movement and will be louder given the same efficiency. Regarding the TC-1000, it looks like a nice driver, but you can get three MAW-12's for the price of one of those.

The SPL driver is a ways away, so if you are looking to purchase soon, go with the TC.

Best,

Mark

The Maw-12 does look really good, I even thought about 2 Maw 10's, and might go either way. I guess I really like the wow factor of the high excursion drivers especially when the SQ is still present. Sort of the "the driver moves like crazy, but sounds awesome doing it" type of thing, haha. Mark by the way, I built a MJ18 for by brother off 400w it sounds incredible. We built a sealed enclusure about 3.4cft, he has been using it for 2 months and everytime I hear it, it gets louder. We put the Buttkicker PE buyout amp on it, sounds great. If I had more room I would go with 3 of the Maw 12's, haha.

Well, jumping from a 10" to a 12" will certainly provide you with more air movement and will be louder given the same efficiency. Regarding the TC-1000, it looks like a nice driver, but you can get three MAW-12's for the price of one of those.

The SPL driver is a ways away, so if you are looking to purchase soon, go with the TC.

Best,

Mark

I say, try the MAW-12 first, if it does not work out then its not like you spent $250 or so on it. ;)

This much is true. You wouldn't lose your shirt if you plan to sell it as well...

With 300w I'd definitely grab a MAW-12!

I have to agree with everyone on here, go with a Maw-12.

Justin

Edited by Justin3000

I'm at the point that I'm interested in replacing my Ascendant Audio 10" Assassin with either another 10" with something a little more powerful. I'm interested in the SPL subs that Loyd tested. Does anybody know when they will be for sale? If its going to be a long time, lets talk about the loudness difference between my 10" Assassin, and maybe a 12" MAW powered off 300watts. I've also been looking at tc's t1000 line, I like the looks of them, mechanically. I really would like something in either a 10 or 12 that moves alot of air with 300watts.

I bought a MAW-12 from Mark. With about 350-460 watts at 2ohm on my sub channel 5channel MTX895.5 Mark highly recommended it. I've yet to build a box but am itching to badly. Just waiting for a warm weekend to do the amp and sub install.

On delivery, I was really impressed with the build of it, it's solid and clean looking. No extra crappy gimmicks and shaffizle, just plane and simple. I'm sure it'll get the job done. Other's have tested it and it seems to be able to handle a lot more power than it's rated for. I bought for LSQ but apparently will win on both sides.

Edited by SikSS

I have that assassian in a 12" but need a 10".....let me know when you get ready to sell it.

The problem with obtaining a high excursion woofer and running it with 300Watts is this. Most SPL high excursion woofers are high powered and stiff to handle abuse. And 300Watts will hardly impress you if it does not move the woofer much. I agree with the guys try a MAW-12 it has softer suspension then that of a High Excursion sub and moves well with that type of power.

Mark please correct me if im off.

thanks

The problem with obtaining a high excursion woofer and running it with 300Watts is this. Most SPL high excursion woofers are high powered and stiff to handle abuse. And 300Watts will hardly impress you if it does not move the woofer much. I agree with the guys try a MAW-12 it has softer suspension then that of a High Excursion sub and moves well with that type of power.

Mark please correct me if im off.

thanks

lol I was refering to the 10"assassian., but thanks.

My little brother has a MAW12 in his RAM running off of 350W, and it sounds real good in the sealed 1.25ft^3 pre-fab enclosure I had sitting around. Can't wait to hear it on the ported console enclosure I am slowly working on.