Sign in to follow this  
uglydimple12

New member here

what about Orion 1200d or 2500d?? they look awesome and sounds like a decent amp, i saw some for sale on other site so..

let me know what you guys think

if you already have the amp, you could always just buy a nice crossover, most have subsonic filters in them on the low pass side.

Welcome to the forum. Youll find SSA a nice place to stay... infinetely more flame free than most of the other forums.

Does the 1201.1 have a subsonic filter? I wont recommend an amp without one for a ported application. I remember all the issues I had at RE with the older JBL1200.1 without the SSF and its nasty clipping habits.

I had thought I read something in a post about subs giving out power too... well odd terminology given how most car audio people talk of speakers and amps... it still wouldnt be wrong. Subs simply change Watts electrical to Watts acoustic. Power none the less. Now if we could only get them to be better at convering the power and not being curling irons kicking of waste heat ;)

Wes... I told you not too mention that monster Q sub to anyone ;) I havent quite perfected the 15' Q cone yet, although I have done a 24" recently :)

Thanks,

Scott

This whole monster q thing confuses yet entices me

a subsonic filter is basically a crossover that you set at or around the tuning frequency of your ported box so your sub won't play below that frequency. The reason for this is because in a ported application it is harmful to the sub if it plays below the tuning frequency of the box. In a sealed application there is no need for a subsonic filter.

I have never heard it that way before. I mean usually if you read up on it. Its not needed for Ported but you can use it and its not that there isnt a need on sealed boxes but that you absolutly dont want to use it..hmmm

That's exactly what the subsonic is for....

It's to protect the sub from mechanical failure by playing below tuning....

I believe Lloyd (bigbassman) said if he had set a subsonic when testing the BTL with 10K it would've played longer.. but they didn't so when they hit a note below box tuning the BTL froze...

This is from one of the people that tested it i believe they said and i quote

"The woofer took 10kw fine.. what it didnt take was 15 hz below tuning ( 30 hz )

the voice coil was fine... the picture of it is around here somewhere.. the cone literally smashed into the basket/spider landing... i hear this isnt a problem with the larger diameter drivers... god what a 15 would do would be just NUTS"

that's where the subsonic filter comes in...

I wouldn't go as far as saying sealed doesn't need it either.

That's exactly what the subsonic is for....

It's to protect the sub from mechanical failure by playing below tuning....

I believe Lloyd (bigbassman) said if he had set a subsonic when testing the BTL with 10K it would've played longer.. but they didn't so when they hit a note below box tuning the BTL froze...

This is from one of the people that tested it i believe they said and i quote

"The woofer took 10kw fine.. what it didnt take was 15 hz below tuning ( 30 hz )

the voice coil was fine... the picture of it is around here somewhere.. the cone literally smashed into the basket/spider landing... i hear this isnt a problem with the larger diameter drivers... god what a 15 would do would be just NUTS"

that's where the subsonic filter comes in...

I wouldn't go as far as saying sealed doesn't need it either.

wasn't arguing but seriously wondered, because that is the opposite of what alot of people have said, and if thats correct, i have things setup wrong...dont want to do any damage..

even in sealed boxes i use the subsonic at about 5 hz below tuning just to keep the sub from getting un-linear and sloppy.

but one thing i still dont understand- why would it play at lower frequencies if i tuned the amp at proper level.. then it shouldnt play at lower frequencies??

but one thing i still dont understand- why would it play at lower frequencies if i tuned the amp at proper level.. then it shouldnt play at lower frequencies??

Most people cross their subs over anywhere from 60-80hz so anything below that is played. Lets say you have a ported box tuned to 32hz, basically you dont want to play anything below that range. So you would set your SSF around 30hz or so. Some people can get by w/o one on a DD set up if they dont drive the sub to hard.

Kslice pretty much covered it

think of the LP filter and the subsonic as X-overs in both directions...

LP filter will allow anything Below what you set it at

Subsonic will allow anything Above what you set it...

The subsonic's main objective is to protect the sub from seeing a freq. below tuning YET at the same time allows you to "isolate" the boxes tuning frequency.....

Lets say your box is tuned at oh 32Hz

you can isolate the peak/range like so

The red denotes frequencies cut-off by the LP and Subsonic filter..

0-27hz 28-50hz 51hz-1khz

So the gates is WIDE OPEN for frequencies falling between 28-50 hz anything above and below isn't (well in theory it's not just "not played" but rather it slopes downward in whatever fashion the Subsonic/LP filter is designed to slope)

Almost all high end amps these days comes with a subsonic filter.....

It's a really safe feature that will help the longevity of your subs...

Edited by theabunai

^^^ many thanks for the explanation.. it was a very clear one..appreciate it.. i couldnt help but want the jbl 1201.1 amp, since i m abt to get a GTO75.4II amp so i d like to have a matching amp but it doesnt say in its specs that if it got subsonic filter or not.. i might call the customer service see if they can give me answer on this one..

But i m curious, lets say if there is a note in a song that will make it go under 30 hz (and i set the SSF at 30hz) then what will the sub do? nothing? or it ll still play but at 30hz instead of lower?

If the SSF is set at 30hz then nothing will be played by the sub 30hz or below...so if there is a part in a song that is that low it wont be played. Also if your sub amp doesnt have a SSF installed you can buy one to add onto your amps RCA input from your HU. Here is one for example: SSF

Edited by KSlice

^^^ many thanks for the explanation.. it was a very clear one..appreciate it.. i couldnt help but want the jbl 1201.1 amp, since i m abt to get a GTO75.4II amp so i d like to have a matching amp but it doesnt say in its specs that if it got subsonic filter or not.. i might call the customer service see if they can give me answer on this one..

But i m curious, lets say if there is a note in a song that will make it go under 30 hz (and i set the SSF at 30hz) then what will the sub do? nothing? or it ll still play but at 30hz instead of lower?

It'll still play the right note, it just reduces the volume.

In some (sloppy) recordings there are stray subsonic frequencys...these will be reduced too, "cleaning up" the sound.

Yes it will play the note as with any X-over the point beyond the setting is a slope that gradually OR sharply declines (varies with each Filter most use a 12DB per octave) subsonic filters usually have a much steeper slope than the LP filter..... There are some that has no slope at all but in all honesty that is just not practical for daily listening....

As for cleaning up the sound i wouldn't say "cleaning" but rather reduces the volume of these "rogue" notes (though i doubt many songs hit below 15hz since anything below 20hz is inaudible to the ear but you could probably still feel the note).. Anything below 20hz IMO is a waste of power and heat since there really is no sound coming from the sub only cone movement and wear and tear on the subs mechanical parts.... (i don't know of any sub that can musically reproduce an audible sound below 15hz)

Some people say using a low pass filter and a Subsonic filter is like making a bandpass box, but just with the x-overs lol...

Edited by theabunai

If the SSF is set at 30hz then nothing will be played by the sub 30hz or below...so if there is a part in a song that is that low it wont be played. Also if your sub amp doesnt have a SSF installed you can buy one to add onto your amps RCA input from your HU. Here is one for example: SSF

perfect! so thats mean i can just get the JBL amp and get this ssf part and plug it into the rcas input of the amp?

on the back end of this part has holes for the rca interconnects to plug into, correct?

also if i get this aftermarket ssf part, nothing else i need to do, it is being automatically filtered at 30hz??

Yeah has male/female ends so install it where your HU RCAs connect to the amp. I personally have never used one but thats what its designed to do...filter out 30hz and below frequencies.

Wes... I told you not too mention that monster Q sub to anyone ;) I havent quite perfected the 15' Q cone yet, although I have done a 24" recently :)

Thanks,

Scott

Yea the 15ft Q sounds great in the back of my semi! haha I sometimes get " and ' mixed up. sorry ;)

But that 24 sounds pretty sweet. send me some dimensions and ill get started on the box :P

Wes

Yeah has male/female ends so install it where your HU RCAs connect to the amp. I personally have never used one but thats what its designed to do...filter out 30hz and below frequencies.

cool alright, more likely i ll do this..

one more question.. before i ask, i want you all to know that i m no expert at tuning.. so i m wondering if i m gonna use SSF to filter 30hz and lower.. so thats mean my sub wont have chance to hit that hard? or it will? i m more of SPL guy than SQ.. i like to get some good thumps and make sure that everyone around me knows that i have sub in my vehicle ha..

The hardest hitting notes are 40-70 hz normally. The lower the frequency, the lower the speed of cone movement etc...

A sub sonic filter is just there to keep the sub from getting unlinear.

You won't notice the missing 10 or so hz much at all.

oh 40-70 hz?

thats good then.. i guess i m set for now.. all i have to do now is save up some money.. i m probably half way there right now..

things i m need to buy

1- 15" BL fully loaded except for extreme lead

1- JBL 1201.1 Amplifier

someone to make me a box specified for 15 inch BL

1/0 gauge power wire with inline fuse

RCA interconnect

? AWG speaker wires

?

I m wondering what is suggested AWG for speaker wires since all of this stuff is high end?

and i might have to look into swapping my batttery with a yellow top or some good battery.. also i need to do the big 3..

Sign in to follow this