Sign in to follow this  
johnnylemoine

blown BTL 18

well im pretty sure i blew my BTL today. i finally hooked up two orion xtr pro 2400's to it. and i think i blew one of the amps too. i hooked up the amps like the book said, set one amp to master and one amp to copy and the master amp would control the other amps gain and xover's. well when i turned it up it didnt sound like it was hitting harder than when i had one amp. in fact it sounded weaker, and kinda sloppy. and the coils on the sub were heating up fast. i could smell glue burning and the dust cap was hot as hell. well i changed the amps to gain and gain, they both have copy, gain, master settings on them, it was hitting alot harder now. so i was playin it for a while and i put it up real loud, voltage wasnt droppin much, and then, blah! the sub fluttered irratically and stopped playin. no sound wat so ever out of it. and now one of the amps makes a humming sound that gets louder as i turn up the volume. both amps turn on and arent in protect mode. i checked A/C voltage at the speaker terminals of both amps, one was doin 13.5 volts and the other was doin 106 volts. the one humming was doin 106 volts.

needless to say i need a recone. hook me up scott crabmaster596@yahoo.com

anyone know of a good amp repair guy? we have some down here but i dont like their work. thanks

ok well the amp that i thought was burned up is actually not completely burned. the xover must be messed up though, when i turn the LPF up to about 60 it starts to make a humming/buzzing noise. but when i turn the LPF down the noise goes away. also, my master amp puts out about 100v A/C on a 43 hz sine wave and the other amp outs out 24v A/C on the same wave while amps are strapped, it will go up to about 100 when i turn the LPF up to 60hz or above. anyone have any idea wuts wrong?

and wut do i need to do to get a recone kit or get my sub reconed by FI?

Sounds like you've got the amps wired wrong...or something of that nature and shot a bunch of dc through the coil...

None the less a 18" recone is 110 bucks

ok well the amp that i thought was burned up is actually not completely burned. the xover must be messed up though, when i turn the LPF up to about 60 it starts to make a humming/buzzing noise. but when i turn the LPF down the noise goes away. also, my master amp puts out about 100v A/C on a 43 hz sine wave and the other amp outs out 24v A/C on the same wave while amps are strapped, it will go up to about 100 when i turn the LPF up to 60hz or above. anyone have any idea wuts wrong?

and wut do i need to do to get a recone kit or get my sub reconed by FI?

1) Don't continue using a damaged amp. Get it repaired. Gremlins will run wild with that issue. :(

2) Re-read #1. These type of issues have a tendancy to multiply exponentially.

3) If you feel confortable reconing the sub, just order what you need from Scott. There is a decent write-up on ca.com to walk you through the recone process.

This is just the coarse of action I would take. Good luck and sorry to hear about the issues.

thanks chris and nick. i deff unhooked the broken amp. im goin to see if i can get it repaired somewhere around here. i put my spare 18 XXX in and im using the good amp. i know someone that does recones, but i think ill let yall do it. how do i go about sending it to yall? do i need a RMA number? thanks

johnny if you had to send that sub in then it would cost too much. that sub weighs a ton. lol. why don't you do it yourself. if you can't, doesn marshall white live near you. he recones subs all the time.

btw its awesome how you have a xxx as a spare.

Edited by chad lee

yeah marshall does live close by and i was gonna get him to do it, but i didnt think shipping was gonna be that bad, i just got a 65 lb yellow top sent to me for like 30 bux. but i guess ill just get marshall to do it.

Sign in to follow this