Sign in to follow this  
jay

SI 12, RE xxx, JL W7

what would you get? I want something that can scare my friends, will be mounted in w holecab early ford bronco. I'm going for dual 12's just gotto find out which ones :)

for amps I figured i would get dual hifonic brutus 1500, one for each so I can run 1 ohm :)

I'm not going to compete, but I hate the damn sound of my single 12" lanzar (yeah :( ) hitting the max.

I want it loud, but I like the bass to be tight. as much if both as possible :)

I like what I read on the forums about the magnum, but I have a friend competeing here, which says W7 for live ;)

Edited by jay

*sigh*..you are in an SI forum..you will most likely get some sort of biased answer. Personally...look how much you'll actually value dual 12's in your car. Are you willing to to spend $600, $900, or $1000 for a pair. Think about theft. Is someone willing to steal a pair of w7's, or a pair of woofers they've never heard of. I think 900+ is LUDICRIOUS to spend on a pair of 12's..The w7 might look sexy..but who cares about looks when the entire basket is covered and the sub sits in the trunk? A pair of XXX's would do just great...they are less efficient, and IMO, not as tight as a Magnum.

While I encourage you to do your homework on different products, try to refrain from the "comparison" thread in the future...Instead ask about the pros and cons of an individual product without introducing a competitor to the scenario. You will decrease the bias, and eventually get the REAL answers you want...

I figured I would get a flame, but took the chance. and yes I'm willing to spend what the w7 cost.

the w7 are known where I come from, the SI's are not. (Norway)

and I think they will steal the subs no matter what brand it is, junkies steal what they can get their hands on, working on some creative ways to secure and hide them, like bandpass etc.

bBut all the guys here seems soo happy with their SI's and many are switching in from other brands

Guy's are switching because they can get equal or better performance from these Internet subs..and pay half the price...

I'd assume the Magnums would enjoy that amount of power a bit more too...They take gobs of power...

EDIT: Oh yeah..not a flame...just a suggestion..nobody on this board is allowed to flame...so please don't feel that it was one...

Edited by I8apony19

I'll 2nd that gobs of power statement :o

I bought a xxx to test out to compare to the SI 15", but I've heard alot of people enjoy the SI alot more. The fact that the SI weighs in 20lbs lighter really helps too.

but then we have the massiveness of the w7, can it still hold up? the 600w rms rateing on the mainsite is pretty modest i heard ;)

the magnums are giong to sound better than the W7, and they are going to be louder. magnums being louder than JL's is a mic proven fact, no argument there.

the dub sevs are way overpriced and overhyped IMO. and yes, i can attest that the 600 watt rating is WAY conservative on the mag.

you cant say the magnums will sound better. im sure theres people who prefer the w7 to the magnum becuase everyone has different taste.

even though i think the magnum is much better hehe.

I love mags, w7s are great woofers, and I haven't heard an XXX but the other RE woofer I heard was also great sounding. No matter which way you go you are going to get "something that will scare you friends." I personally can't justify the w7 price, and as stated internet companies are the place to look.

I say you buy one of each woofers and see which you like best then sell the other 2 and buy another of the one you kept :lol:

i have heard all three woofers. this is what i would do depending on situation....

my car, small trunk, not gona run much power, need most bang for the buck sub, i would go with a D2. (which is what i did)

an SUV or something with lots of room, enough money to spend on high output amplifier or amplifiers and enough money to upgrade eletrical, i would take the XXX.

tons of money to WASTE, id go with the w7.

if i had a choice of any sub for free with an amp to power it id take the XXX. So it all depends on your situation. but basically u cannot go wrong with any of em, theyr all amazing woofers.

if i had a choice of any sub for free with an amp to power it id take the XXX. So it all depends on your situation. but basically u cannot go wrong with any of em, theyr all amazing woofers.

is this because you like the sound of the XXX or because you like how obnoxiously loud it can get? just wondering why a lot of peopler are saying they would take the XXX over any other sub if all were for free.

hmmmm..........so you are basically saying if price was the same Magnum is worst on the list? Cause........if you have money to waste get a W7 which means to say if you have the money then get a W7 cause its better.

If H.O. alternator, and amp was no problem xxx is better than D2?

Just curious what you are trying to say.

I have personally owned some W7's, and I'd have to say I prefer the D2 in every aspect at this point. It gets WAY louder, handles just as much power, and is more efficient.

I also have a xxx 15" coming, so I'll tell you which I like better later. I have almost 3000w ready for that badboy so power is not a problem. I'm not running but 1/2 that on the Mag and it gets pretty damn loud ported.

After the short time I've had this sub I can honestly say it absolutely creams the idmax

and e12a (just to name a few subs I've owned recently) in accuracy, and tonality, response. Obviously its gonna be alot louder cause of the size difference.

As for the W7, it might be prettier but thats about it so far. Only thing could change my mind is if all of a sudden this thing fails on me. If the Magnum proves really reliable its got the W7 beat in ever category. The 13w7 did not sound very good ported which limits its output. If you want truely audiophile sound out of that sub it needs to be sealed and it just doesn't get very loud sealed before it gets to its mechanical limits. But the magnum is right at home ported.

This sub kinda reminds me of an IDQ 15 with 10 times the balls, and ALOT more low end. Kinda like IDQ on steroids anc crack haha

My 3 listening experiences with the W7 were not all that great. Two of them, just sounded pathetic to me, but I know the installers and place the blame solely on their shoulders. The other one, I actually built the enclosure for. It was 1.9 cubes sealed, and while it did sound good, it was nothing to write home about or break the bank on. But these are just my opinions.

Had a XXX12, loved it. Just a power junky and that's not what I'm after.

My limited experience with my Magnum 15 has me grinning from ear to ear everytime I listen to it. I'm sure once I get my baffle finished, I will love it even more.

is this because you like the sound of the XXX or because you like how obnoxiously loud it can get? just wondering why a lot of peopler are saying they would take the XXX over any other sub if all were for free.

because it can get obnoxiously loud and sound awesome while doing it. and it can handle a ridiculous amount of power.

hmmmm..........so you are basically saying if price was the same Magnum is worst on the list? Cause........if you have money to waste get a W7 which means to say if you have the money then get a W7 cause its better.

If H.O. alternator, and amp was no problem xxx is better than D2?

Just curious what you are trying to say.

I have personally owned some W7's, and I'd have to say I prefer the D2 in every aspect at this point. It gets WAY louder, handles just as much power, and is more efficient.

I also have a xxx 15" coming, so I'll tell you which I like better later. I have almost 3000w ready for that badboy so power is not a problem. I'm not running but 1/2 that on the Mag and it gets pretty damn loud ported.

After the short time I've had this sub I can honestly say it absolutely creams the idmax

and e12a (just to name a few subs I've owned recently) in accuracy, and tonality, response. Obviously its gonna be alot louder cause of the size difference.

As for the W7, it might be prettier but thats about it so far. Only thing could change my mind is if all of a sudden this thing fails on me. If the Magnum proves really reliable its got the W7 beat in ever category. The 13w7 did not sound very good ported which limits its output. If you want truely audiophile sound out of that sub it needs to be sealed and it just doesn't get very loud sealed before it gets to its mechanical limits. But the magnum is right at home ported.

This sub kinda reminds me of an IDQ 15 with 10 times the balls, and ALOT more low end. Kinda like IDQ on steroids anc crack haha

i didnt say magnum is worst on the list. i would take it over a w7 as well. It just is much easier to have a d2 if you dont have that much money. its a very eficient drive, which u could power without spending a ton of money, and not need any electrical upgrades.

with a XXX its a bit more of an expensive driver, and needs a good amount more room than a D2 does. By the time ur fully powering a XXX u will need electrical upgrades and not to mention the sub is heavy as hell, also why i didnt get one.

So all im trying to point out is that it depends on your situation and what will fit u best.

That being said i freakin love my d2 it gets so loud for 1 12" and sounds the best ive ever heard a sub sound.

electrical should be no problem, v8 and 200amp dynamo, 0 gauge going all over the place, and a 5 farad stinger

I'm in the same boat but my gut feeling is telling me to get the Magnum D2. More and more people are saying that they prefer the sound of the D2 over the XXX and W7 which is saying a lot because, for a while people would say that those were the best on the market and to see people prefer the D2 more is actually amazing to say the least. Just go with your gut feeling. Explain what type of music you like too so some people can get a better idea at what type of sound that you prefer.

I mostly listen to rap and hiphop when I'm alone in the car, sometimes pop if I'm really forced. but very rarely. so rap/hiphop is what I play mostly

A D2 in the spec ported enclosure will be perfect for your taste. Like I said I cannot comment on the RE sub cause it isn't here yet, but the D2 will be better for that than a 13w7 for sure on rap, hip hop etc. You'll need alot more power to get the 13w7 as loud as the Magnum, and only ported which it won't sound all that great for music. Sealed the output of a 13w7 will not even compare at all.

I should say I'm comparing to a 15" magnum, I haven't heard the 12".

The problem is the Magnum 15's are not available. so actually you have only the choice of buying a magnum 12 which I cannot advise about.

well in Nick's (owner of SI) description between the 15'' and the 12'' is that the 15 will just get louder and go lower. they have the same sound just louder and lower for the 15 but not by much. correct me if i'm wrong nick. i would definitely go with a 12'' before they are gone as well.

That's right. The 15's just go lower and get louder than our 12's do. SQ-wise they are very similar. Just ask Hoss about the D2vsW7 comparisson in the SPL lanes. :D

guess I'm are going ported SI magnum 12's then :) in ported enclosure, should really feel the potential with 1500w@1ohm. how does theese speakers work in bandpass?

Bandpass is the devil.

uhm, so does that mean theese speakers are ported/sealed and not bandpass?

If you have the time/patience/knowhow you can make any sub work in a bandpass enclosure (4th order or 6th order depending on the sub). But the end result is almost never worth the time and effort when compared to a simple sealed or ported setup. There ar ejust too many trade-offs when making a bandpass system. You can have good transient response and efficiency but a REALLY narrow passband. You can have a wide pass band and good transient response but terrible efficiency. To get a bandpass that sounds good and plays loud you are going to be giving up a huge portion of your car. The best sounding bandpass I have ever seen was for 4 Orion XTR15 DVC's and it took up the entire back (from 6" behind the front seats to 10" from the rear glass) of a Nissan Pathfinder. It was built to play hard rock/heavy-metal and had really bad low frequency extension because that was the trade-off to get good transient response, low group delay and excellent efficiency. Because of the music tastes of the owner he was willing to make that trade.

If I were in your shoes, I would start with 1 12" (your pick as to brand, but I would think that you couldn't go wrong with a Mag or XXX) and an amp to power it. Put it in the recommended enclosure (ported probably since you are looking for output) and give it a try. It is going to flat stomp the output you are getting from the Lanzar that you have now. You will probably reach the limit of what you can stand before the sub reaches the limit of what it can give you. If you just must have more after trying out the single, then get another amp and sub.