Sign in to follow this  
super sql

stiffer spider = more db's?

after beating my subs for 8 months it appears my spiders got real soft. if i pust the cone its not as stiff as it used to be.

so i was wondering. if i recone my subs, how much increase in output will i see. a rough estimate will do.

thanks in advance.

hmm I don't THINK that a stiffer spier gives more db...

A stiffer spiders i believe keeps the coil from moving out of the magnet gap....

though i believe that Fi spiders when they get soft provide cleaner sound and during high output peaks the spiders probably get progressively stiffer so the coil doesn't move out of the gap reducing distortion.... Plus the Q's xmax is really high allowing for further excursion without reaching mechanical limits.... The soft spider the sub has during normal range of travel gives for a more smooth and natural response....

But i could be totally wrong here.... Nick, Shawn or scott will chime in soon....

great question though, I'd like to know just to soak up more knowledge....

Edited by theabunai

A stiffer spider will result in a less efficient sub with a higher Fs. Your subs are now broken in and the response is actually what is was designed to be.

restoring force probably went down a little as well as accelerator factor, so imo it's possible to be louder with fresh subs in some situations. however I don't think it's anything siginificant especially for music. is it noticeably less punchy? how much power and which subs and what is the box like?

its a pair of btl 15s fully loaded with 2 memphis 4kw.

as far as sound goes, i like it. it sounds clean.

just trying to gain a db here and there. lol. every tenth counts when you are in the lanes.

If your in bass race don't worry about it, farting/burping in spl only scenarios you have to sacrifice the daily driveability of the sub..(no cooling, short flatwire coil etc etc)

thanks guys. i think I AM A chill on the reconing thing then.

i gotta say though after all the abuse i am giving my subs, it is holding up well. i mean awesome.

Sign in to follow this