Sign in to follow this  
Audio Junkies

DIY Tube Preamp Kits

I've been eyeing a few different tube preamp kits and just wanted to see what you guys think is the best for the money.

The Bottlehead Foreplay III has some great reviews, but it is $400. I'd prefer something less expensive and I don't need anything too crazy. Dual RCA outs are a plus and I would love to get my hands on an original Foreplay, but haven't had any luck finding one.

I've been reading on DIYAudio.com, but everything is a bit scattered over there. Building from scratch is an option, but tube preamps are a bit new to me and it is tough deciphering "good" plans from the bad ones.

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks ahead of time.

Have one of the guys on DIY build it for you.

There should be someone that could get you schematics for the original Foreplay...then have it built.

Tubes and ptp wiring are the ultimate in audio...good luck.

*waits for Jim to reply...*

Tubes and ptp wiring are the ultimate in audio...

Yep :)

You can't find a used one? There are used Foreplays on Audiogon for $200'ish a lot of the time. IIRC, I sold mine for around that.

If you aren't afraid of potentially re-capping things, the Dynaco PAS-3 is probably the linestage with the most value out there. 12AX7 based.

I've been eyeing that exact Foreplay on Audiogon.

Jim- what did you think of the Foreplay when you had it and why did you get rid of it?

Jim- what did you think of the Foreplay when you had it and why did you get rid of it?

Really good sounding. I had military surplus black plate 12AU7's in it and they worked great. Sold it because the dual volume knobs annoyed me after a while, and I *thought* I would have liked the 2A3 integrated I had for a little bit. Should have stuck with the Foreplay/Decware Zen combo at the time, that 2A3 project wasn't worth it.

Pictures are here...yeah yeah, not my finest hour in wiring but it worked :D

http://www.carstereos.org/gallery/showimag...=4007&c=189

http://www.carstereos.org/gallery/showimag...=4008&c=189