Audio Junkies

Actual Power Output of Behringer EP2500?

I'm eyeing this amp for sub duty and I have seen a few people mention that it puts out closer to 1500 watts rather than the rated 2400 watts when bridged into 4 ohms.

I've posted on home audio forums and searched the hell out of it, but can't find any real world data on this amp. As much as I would love to get a Crown CE4000, the EP2500 is very tempting because of the price. From what I have seen everyone seems very happy with them as well.

Any thoughts?

I don't know output but I think a few people have mentioned that their either have them or had them in the past, so someone might know.

Eh, it is a true budget amp. I had one, the longer I had it, the less I thought it put out the power it was supposed to. I would not really reccommend one to anyone.

I'm also considering one to power 2 RL-P's, so I'm hoping Lukas and I can get some real world feedback.

What you planning on powering with it? I'm using an older Hypex HS500 that Adire used to sell, rated for 800watts @4ohms and seems to be doing it as these subs hit VERY hard.

I was planning on using one to power an FIQ18...and I believe 1300-1500w would around its actual output at that load. The people I know have used them have had mostly good luck.

I'd rather go with a Crown...or QSC...

I may give the EP2500 a shot just for the hell of it, it's too cheap to pass up.

I'm seriously eyeing a Crown XS-1200 though. I figure if I don't like the EP2500 I can offload it for a small loss and then just get the XS-1200 for a few hundred more.

Crown XS-1200 #1

Crown XS-1200 #2

I may give the EP2500 a shot just for the hell of it, it's too cheap to pass up.

I'm seriously eyeing a Crown XS-1200 though. I figure if I don't like the EP2500 I can offload it for a small loss and then just get the XS-1200 for a few hundred more.

Crown XS-1200 #1

Crown XS-1200 #2

If you get the EP2500 and don't think it's enough power, let me know as I'd probably pick it up from you as it should be perfect for my RL-P's...

Here is my input on the EP2500

I have used about a dozen of them in various home/pro applications under some pretty rough conditions (cold, hot, low voltage, low impedance (by accident)) and I haven't seen (or heard of for that matter) one of them die yet, so they seem to be pretty reliable.

On the matter of output power, I have somewhat crudely tested a couple of them and they appear to do as advertised. When measured with the amp bridged and a DMM at the terminals I got about 150 volts RMS driving no load and 100 volts RMS driving a 4 ohm nominal load. I also used an oscilloscope was used to make sure the onset of clipping was indeed when the clip light flashes. When measuring the output on the 4 ohm nominal load, I measured over a wide range to make sure I wasn't square on the impedance bump at resonance, but it is still possible that I may have only been driving a minimum of 5-6 ohms when you throw everything into the mix. If presented with an exact 4 ohm load, the rails might sag a little more...I really don't know. Either way, who cares for playing music (much higher crest factor) anyways- the amp will do what amps rated at 2500w do.

There are a couple downfalls with this amp. The first one is its behavior at clipping- when pushed to the limits it does not hit them smoothly. There are a lot of clicks and pops that make driving it slightly into clipping unbearable. If I am going to be doing this I just run limiters upstream anyway, so it is not a big deal for me. It may be for other people.

Another downfall is the low cut filter...what a joke. In the one amp I tested, the 30 Hz highpass was such a high Q that I got a 12 dB boost at 40 Hz. I haven't measured it on any other EP2500s, but by ear I can tell there is a sizable boost. I don't know how this varies from unit to unit (maybe I got a bad one) but I don't want it. This isn't a problem if you don't use it anyways (I don't).

All around, for the power there is no competition price wise. This amp along with the a500 are about as good of deals as you are going to find out there for 2 channel amps. I wish Behringer would make a 6 or 8 channel amp w/ about 200 per channel. BTW, here is one somewhat extreme application I have used 9 of the ep2500s in:

http://audio.students.mtu.edu/pictures/win...rnival2007.html

Nice first post and thanks for the info!

Looks like I will be going the QSC route, I found a good deal that I can't pass up. :)

:OhYeah:

tanktsuzurekojx3.jpg

okay 1 this thread is over a year old and 2 its about 1400 watts at real use frequencies.

Edited by phi

I love seeing this when the information still is viable for current times.

It's always better to use an existing thread than start a new one so long as it's on topic.

My .02 is that the behringer does it's job. Especialy if it's sub woofer duty. I got a QSC in hopes it's quiter... and I got a STEAL of a deal.