topgun

Stocking a wetbar

Ok so June has arrived, I've got the house and we now have a webar in the basement. The only problem is that we don't have much alcohol currently to fill it with and I'm looking for some recommendations as what to get to stock the bar with. Keep in mind this is a college budget and I'm looking for more middle of the line stuff.

What we already have...

Jose tequila

Disaronno

Crown

Assorted whiskeys

What I'm looking at...

Seagrams 7 (gotta have the 7 & 7)

Rum, need some ideas as to what kind

Vodka, cheaper stuff

Drinks for the womens, the fruity crap

Mixers

General bar crap

Also, I was thinking about picking up some wine, except I don't know crap about wine.

So basically I'm looking for some input from people who already have stocked bars before and know what gets used the most. I drink pretty much anything so I don't have any particular thing that I drink always and I'm nto real picky.

The bar.

0602071113kr9.jpg

Having a full bar at your age, just means that you will spend a lot of money replacing what other people drink. I'd just buy what you like and keep it.

If you want recommendations on things, I'd be glad to pipe up but will warn you that I have a top shelf tendency.

As for mixers that have a shelf life:

Rose's Lime & Cherry (Grenadine)

Soda

Sour (Squirt will pass on a pinch and for non booze/sour drinks I like it better)

Tonic

Those fake little Lemon & Limes you can squeeze from near the Lemons at the grocery store

Maraschino Cherries

Coke

7up (sprite does not work for chit on drinks)

Cranberry juice -- unopened has great shelf life too

Angostra Bitters

Tabasco

Celery Salt

Margarita Salt

Sugar

Sweet syrup: I make my own by dissolving sugar in water, but you can buy it as well

Other mixers that are necessary for mixing drinks:

Triple Sec -- or if you want TS, Cointreau or Grand Marnier

Kahlua

Dry Vermouth

On the Rum front, for a spiced rum I can't say enough about the Flora de Cana. If you like Crown and have ever enjoyed a Morgan Coke you will die for the Flora. So good.

Cheap Vodka I find that Stolichnaya disappears nicely in drinks. Of course since I lived in Russia for a bit I have a tendency to swing that way. Costco also has Belvedere or Grey Goose (I don't remember) make theirs which is rather nice as well. Comes in a big arse bottle.

You don't need fruity booze to make women drinks, you just need to know how to mix :)

If you want wine rec'd I can probably help some, but really need a lot more than "wine" to go on. The budget is a big thing there as well. All too easy to drop $40 on a nice bottle. :(

I almost read the topic as "stoking a weber"

1) Get some natural lump charcoal

2) Fill the starter chimney

3) Light

LOL, I guess I did spell the title wrong....

My current plan is to have basically two different bar setups, the nice liquor that is in there basically all the time that I and maybe one or two other people drink, and the stuff that is there when multiple people come over, aka, the cheap chit.

Sean, with the wine I guess I will have to hit you up later with reccomendations for meals for the lady whenever that happens...

Don't think twice about reccomending top shelf items Sean, I do believe in the saying "Life is to short for cheap booze".

Thanks for the info!

I almost read the topic as "stoking a weber"

1) Get some natural lump charcoal

2) Fill the starter chimney

3) Light

iw as thinking the exact same thing...and in the basement??? lol...wow...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You lived in Russia and still drink vodka available in the U.S.? That's a sad state of affairs there.

I'll only drink Flagman, personally. My time over there spoiled me in a big hurry. I'll mix with American vodka, but for actual drinking, nothing over here will do. My inlaws bring me 2 bottles of the good stuff every time they come to visit.

Staples for the bar for mixing:

A decent vodka

a decent gin

a decent tequila

a decent rum

a spiced rum

triple-sec

sours mix

Kaluha

cola

7-up

I draw the line for "decent" as not available in a plastic bottle.

Okay my opinion (aka my poison)

Captain (nothing beats drunkenly doing the morgan pose and proclaiming "its okay Captain's drivin")

Crown.........its just great anyway

Soco

Stoli Razz, and straight up

Bacardi 151

Gentleman Jack (smoother more aged jack)

Jagermeister

Jamesons Irish Wiskey

Grand Manier

Brandy (no brand cause I don't drink it much)

Godiva liquor

Kaluha

Absolute grape

segrams 7

Lastly we come to mixing stuff

Get the lemon and lime juice but when a party is emminent, get the real deal.........makes a drink tastebetter IMO

Cocktail shaker....target has some that have the spin outer cup. Lets you know how much to add of what to make drinks.

Swizzle sticks, make it easier to stir and can save a carpet

Coasters........try something catchy. or hell find a custom place and have some of ur own made.

Softdrinks- 7up, coca-cola, mt. dew, grape soda, snapple (apple, bananna and straw kiwi), and a keep a small thing of half and half

Bout all on the top of my head

You lived in Russia and still drink vodka available in the U.S.? That's a sad state of affairs there.

I did qualify that it was for the cheap Vodka, plus I was 17 when I lived there. Just being able to drink was nice :D

Sauza Hornitos tequila

Meyers dark rum (or Appleton Estate)

Bacardi light rum

Danzka Vodka (Ketel One is good too, but I prefer Danzka)

Bombay Sapphire gin

Johnnie Walker Black scotch (can be used where whisky is called for, and tastes MUCH better)

Jagermeister (must have IMO)

Gran Marnier

Kahlua

Triple Sec

Sweet and Sour

Coke

Sierra Mist

Club Soda