TribeamConnek

Fi BL series 15

I am interested in purchasing the BL 15 and I have a few questions. It says that the RMS for this model is 1000 watts. I noticed that steve meade has 4000 watts RMS to his BTL's. Does that mean that the BL series can take 2000 watts RMS and still function as a daily driver. How is this possible for steve meade when the speakers are rated at 2000 watts RMS or does he own an upgraded version?

Edited by Loose Cannon

If your sensable about it, sure. If you get retarded with the gain and/or volume knob bad things can and will happen.

loose you'll find many members here putting 4K RESPONSIBLY to their BTL's..

Okay, so if I have a HU with a 5 volt preamp output would setting the gain at halfway be sufficient enough or would it be too much or could I move up 2/3 gain. I also have a digital bass processor how would that factor into the setup?

Edited by Loose Cannon

With that kind of power, you really need to be doing more than just setting gains by eye.

With that kind of power, you really need to be doing more than just setting gains by eye.

I normally do it by ear. I read something about checking it with a voltmeter. I have one of those I am kinda lost on checking the voltage input of the amp. I use the meter for everything else just trying to see what I am doing wrong.

Edited by Loose Cannon

My bro has a bxi2006d on his BL- rated 2krms daily. It handles it fine. He is sensible though.

I have 2 memphis 4ks, 4krms daily on each of my BTLs- it also handles the power beautifully. I am careful though.

If you want to put 2k on it, and are really afraid of messing it up, get a BTL with cooling and call it a day.

If you spend a bit of time to make sure there's no clipping with your amp you should be fine with a loaded BL though. That's just my experience. And as far as your gain, I have my memphis with a memphis line driver, I think I have it around 5v right now, and I have my amp turned to MAYBE 1/6 of the way, more like 1/8. I'd use no bass boost, and as little gain as possible to push it cleanly. Take it to a shop if you have any doubts.

Good luck.

With a name like Loose Cannon...I'd have to say no. :lol:

I have a US Amps USA-2000x on my Q12 daily. Unless I get stupid...the Q does well. I'll smell something burning if I start REALLY cranking up the volume. Usually, it is at the point where I am not getting extra output.

My bro has a bxi2006d on his BL- rated 2krms daily. It handles it fine. He is sensible though.

I have 2 memphis 4ks, 4krms daily on each of my BTLs- it also handles the power beautifully. I am careful though.

If you want to put 2k on it, and are really afraid of messing it up, get a BTL with cooling and call it a day.

If you spend a bit of time to make sure there's no clipping with your amp you should be fine with a loaded BL though. That's just my experience. And as far as your gain, I have my memphis with a memphis line driver, I think I have it around 5v right now, and I have my amp turned to MAYBE 1/6 of the way, more like 1/8. I'd use no bass boost, and as little gain as possible to push it cleanly. Take it to a shop if you have any doubts.

Good luck.

I guess I will have to just break down and buy the equipment that shows any clipping. I know how to read that much just wanted to see if someone knew. The audio dealer where I live at aren't my cup of tea. Sure they sale audio, but the guys never heard of atomic. What is done where I live at is small scale compared to what I do. I ask one of the guys for 8ga wire for my speakers and he asked me why I needed that big of wire for speakers. Normally I do pretty well adjusting it by ear. I can tell the slightest bit of distortion when others are cranking up the volume and I will tell them to turn it down quick. So if you run no bass boost on your amp what is it set at on your HU?

Should ideally be set to 0 as well, and adjust your gain accordingly...

A good general rule of thumb is if you have to go more then half way with a gain to equal out your line voltage on your RCA's, then you don't have enough amplifier to power the speaker that you are trying to power.

There's nothing wrong with the 'cheaper' amps, you just have to be careful with them.

A good general rule of thumb is if you have to go more then half way with a gain to equal out your line voltage on your RCA's, then you don't have enough amplifier to power the speaker that you are trying to power.

There's nothing wrong with the 'cheaper' amps, you just have to be careful with them.

^^^^^^knows what hes saying (not like I need to say that :D )

sounds like you live somewhere a little podunk like me :)

Edited by tejcurrent

^^^^^^knows what hes saying (not like I need to say that :D )

sounds like you live somewhere a little podunk like me :)

I wouldn't say that, but they are a little naive. One person gets what the next have and nobody wants to upgrade. I have never been to a competition because where I live at they don't wanna have car shows and things like that. I spent most of my time reading and experimenting with different things to learn what I have. Its ashame because people get mad at me because my system is louder than theirs, but they don't wanna put time and money into it. The people that have money do by better things, but thats all they have. They know nothing about the inside of audio. They are also mad because they spend way more money than I do, but still can't figure out why mines can compete with theirs. Can you believe the store where live doesn't have a demo vehicle or build boxes. I build my own boxes. The amps that I am looking into are the MA Audio HK802SX. The guy that has all the money that I will be competing with has 4 Pioneer Premeir 5102spls. He has 2 Autotek MM 4000.1D. Some people don't believe I can beat him but I was damn close to beating him when I had 2 Cerwin Vega Vmax 15's and he had 4 Orion H2 15's. He had two Autotek amps that put out 2400 RMS and I had one 2400 watt amp that put out 1200 RMS. That is what knowing about what you are dealing with can do for you. It can beat a fool with all the money and good equipment. I am needing yall assistance because I am turning it up a notch. I never put this much power in my car.

Okay, so if I have a HU with a 5 volt preamp output would setting the gain at halfway be sufficient enough or would it be too much or could I move up 2/3 gain. I also have a digital bass processor how would that factor into the setup?

But isnt he talking about the BL's not the BTL's

But isnt he talking about the BL's not the BTL's

Yes, I am talking about the BL's.

Normally I try not to turn the gain past halfway. If I use the bass boost it never goes up past 3/4 the way.

bass boost should be set at 0..... All bass boost does is take a nice clean signal and dirty it up

Why do amp makers still put bass boost on their amps anyway if we all say not to use it?? I guess the answer would be because the majority of consumers use them, the car audio extreamist's are the minority that dont use the bb, so the majority wins out????

Why do amp makers still put bass boost on their amps anyway if we all say not to use it?? I guess the answer would be because the majority of consumers use them, the car audio extreamist's are the minority that dont use the bb, so the majority wins out????

a lot of companies seem to view it as a selling feature. "18db BBoost" BS. Not too many seem to care about the quality anymore :(

The only reason why I do use the bb is because on the radio I normally have it set at -3. Even though I have crossover networks to my speakers I am not too fond of the HU. It is not bad, but when you drive a van you a lot of equalization just to compensate for the distance of the speaker to the ear. I have had a couple HU, but none of them push my amp quite as well.

if your head unit has a subwoofer output level on it then adjust that instead of the bass boost.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

^^thats how to set your gain with a voltmeter. Unless your running the bl's at 1/2 ohm they should be fine, providing no clipping is introduced. I've ran well over 2kw @ 2 ohms to my q without thermal problems.

Bass boost is still needed in certain applications to flatten the response curve of a sub, like lets say an overmotored sub in a sealed box, bass boost the lower end to even out the response because it will naturally loose a lot of the bottom end. Just thought id throw that in there.