Sign in to follow this  
Croz

think this will sound good?

well i think ive finally made up my mind on the entire system, 2 12" Magnum D2's powered by (2) Rockford 1001BD Mono Amps.

do you think thats too much power or just enough? :slayer:

also, with 2000 watts, should i buy a better alternator? ive read the grand prix's have good stock alternators but i just dont want to kill my car.

i know i have to get an extra battery.

how do i get the alternator to charge both battery's and let only one battery drain to my subs?

thx

Edited by Croz

Stock Alt, probably not gonna cut it. I wouldn't go any less than 180, but I don't know what the nominal current draw on those RFs are so I am just taking a shot in the dark here. Keep in mind, your amp will rarely, if ever, draw max current. I would use a dual battery setup as well with the one battery dedicated to the vehicle itself and the other dedicated to the audio system. It is best to run dual batteries off and isolator, although you can get away with running identical batteries(ie same model and ver close in age) in parallel, but many have said this is not ideal. I'm no expert, but with my experience, I haven't had a problem with the batteries in parallel ever. Then again, my systems change about every 6 months or so, so I'm not constantly doing the same thing.

Now when you say you've figured out the complete system, you only mention the Mags and the Bds This is not all you're putting in your car is it? I hope not.

Also, power is going to be dependant upon the enclosure. Put those puppies in a 8 cube vented enclosure and with that power daily, I would think you'd be asking for trouble. How 'bout some more specifics? What exactly are you looking for out of the drivers?

Edited by Tirefryr

just gettin another battery aint gonna cut it, thats just gonna strain ur alt some more cuz its tryin to fill both batterys.. :thud:

Ok so yea a better alt will solve ur problem or get a say 10farad cap

well your right about one thing, im not just putting subs in, ive got infinity kappa 5x8's and 5 1/4's for the rest. My HU is a JVC KD-G700

what do i plan to get out of those subs?

the loudest, deepest, most accurate bass possible, im more SPL type then SQ but i do like good sound too.(i suppose you can call me LSQ but again im more towards SPL)

i actually want to compete with it. i read in another post someone hit 150 or so DB with 1 12" Magnum D2 powered by a 1200 watt amp.... is that really true?

also im having a hard time finding an alternator

by the way all of this is in a 1994 pontiac grand prix se

i have read that capacitors do very little to nothing. whats the real deal on those?

also i know i said that im getting the RF Amps, but anyone else know of a better amp to suit the subs?

Edited by Croz

You'll get a lot of everything out of these things...you'll get the deep impact, great sounding bass you need...no worries...

2 12's...I'd suggest about a 7 cube box NET tuned just below the resonant frequency....after that I THINK Loyd said impedance rise will kill you...

Yes..Stoner did a 150.3 legal on a TL mic with 1200w..but it was in a wall...

Go to www.termpro.com and do a search for "Iraggi" Dominick Iraggi builds custom alternators...up to 260a I believe...I have a 190a from him in my Explorer...great unit...

If you want more SPL than SQ, go with two 15's tuned to 30 Hz. Two 12's will be loud, but two 15's will be louder and go deeper. If you end up going with the 12's tune them to 28 Hz if you want it deep, or tune them higher like Clarke suggested if you want them louder.

Yes! :D

i have another question, might sound stupid but

How do i find the resonnant frequency of my car?

ok i thought that a cap would be dumb to, but, but that would be like a 1 farad cap, somethng you buy from bb or cc. A 10 farad cap would do you just fine though. SO i fyou have a 1 farad cap you have a little storage charge, if you have a 10 farad cap you have alot of storage and charge so buy the time the cap has drained ur alt has had enoughtime yo charge it back up...

would a 5 farad cap be sufficient i dont want to spend 500 bucks on a 10 farad cap...

I got a 10 Farad Phoenix Gold Powergrid for 240 bucks brand new off ebay. It is a 10 farad cap and distribution block in one. do a search for one, it is sweet.

Buy a good alternator if your going to spend money on a cap, i'm sure it'll do u better for the money.

you'll need a new alt for that grand prix. i used to have a 93 with 1 rf 1001bd and the alt struggled some with one 1001 let alone 2. i would just forget about the cap and get an alt. www.excessiveamperage.com is where i got mine for my grand prix and it cost $280 for a 200 amp alt.

man i hate how expensive this car audio stuff gets lol, im hooked like the rest of everyone here. anther 1600bucks down the drain...

oh im sorry did i say that out loud?

thanks for the help guys

Edited by Croz

You don't even want to know how much money I've spent on my car(s). :wacko: Let alone how much I've lost on other mucle cars that I've owned...mainly the big block mucle car I just sold.

all these damn grand prix's floating around

Who cares as long as they are equipped with SI?! :D

all these damn grand prix's floating around

yeah, i hate my car too...

how high would u guys tune a ported box before u start losing SQ on the mag?

what is clark tuned to?

Clarke sealed his up. I'd run right around 25, but that's me.

i would use cardboard but its a little too flimsy

Edited by Croz