Duran

Trupan Light Vs. MDF

I know Trupan is lighter, but more expensive, has anyone used it and how did you like it over MDF? Does it "sound" different?

Black00 (Marshal Joyner) used it on his S10 wall that gained him a MECCA world record. I have never personally used it, but he really said he liked it alot and was happy with the weight savings.

Build it right and there is no sound difference :)

Bjfish11 uses it daily in all his builds. Check out his section on this board for more info

Bjfish11 uses it daily in all his builds. Check out his section on this board for more info

Yeah, Fisher Customs, that's where i found out about it. I just wanted to hear from several sources about it.

I've built a few boxes with Trupan and I prefer it. MUCH lighter, but also easier to cut, less dust, etc... Only issue is it's about 3x the cost of MDF where I buy from.

I've built a few boxes with Trupan and I prefer it. MUCH lighter, but also easier to cut, less dust, etc... Only issue is it's about 3x the cost of MDF where I buy from.

Is the extra cost worth less weight and less dust?

The supplier I use, is less than double the cost of regular MDF. I pay right around $38 per sheet. As mentioned, not only lighter, but cuts and routes much easier.

As for weight, it is right on par with Baltic Birch. I dont have the numbers will be right now, but IIRC Tupan is about .2 (two tenths) lbs heavier than Baltic Birch. So nearly the same weight.

That's a great price IMO, especially if it's easier to work with. Less wear and tear on tools is big for me as they are the most expensive part of it all anyways. I'd much prefer to have my $100 glue joint bit last twice as long.

Definitely worth the extra cost to me. Plus, the customers like the weight savings with it. Just got home, and have the info comparing BB and Trupan. BB is 2.19 lbs per square foot, and Trupan is 2.25. Guess it is closer than I though.

Bj thank you very much for the info about the weight...

damn only 2lbs per square foot.....

Do you guys happen to have any pictures of this material ?

Anyone know if Trupan might have another name as well? I tried to google something up here in Sweden, but nothing. So one reason to go with Trupan over BB would be less tool wear, is it also easier to work with as when compared to MDF? Additional advantages?

Do you guys happen to have any pictures of this material ?

It basically looks exactly like MDF, only more uniformly compressed, IMO. Also a little lighter in color. I would venture to guess, if you would put them side by side, a majority of people wouldnt be able to tell which is which.