fuzzyping

Ported design for two RL-i8's

Does anyone have a working design for dual RL-i8's in a ported enclosure? I'm clueless when it comes to designing ported boxes, and the calculators over at CS.com have me baffled (excuse the pun). I'm looking for flat SQ output but with a deeper range than sealed. I love the T-Box, but I'd like to compare against something that doesn't take up half of my cargo space.

Thanks,

-J.

Sean (///M5) has a single one ported, which he seems to like.

I'll have to see if I can find the enclosure specifics, or he can chime in... then we can hatch out a design.

Does it make more sense to have each driver in its own dedicated ported enclosure, or for them to share volume and port?

Really makes no difference, it would be easier to do common chamber, because the port length will be pretty long.

I'm looking for flat SQ output but with a deeper range than sealed.

Huh, deeper than sealed? How low are you planning on tuning? Also, a bit of warning a pair in a ported box will take up about as much space as a single 15 ported. Super long ports. I gave up on getting mine below 29hz since my port was already in the realm of 100" long.

I've got 2 ported in the wife's car.

Can you share the design?

I'll be rebuilding it to use 2 3" aeroports. This one is

16"T-24"W-6"D1-10"D2

The port is on the side, firing towards the amp. It's roughly 1cube (after displacement of subs & port) tuned to 35hz.

Wow. I have more port area for a single 8 than you do for a pair and would encourage more.

I'm looking for flat SQ output but with a deeper range than sealed.

Huh, deeper than sealed?

I figure I should clarify what Sean means here.

Ported enclosures have a very steep high pass filter associated with them after the tuning frequency. In some of our worlds, deep = below 30Hz, nearing inaudible, while most consider it deep when it is in the 30-40 cycle range.

A sealed enclosure for all intensive purposes will extend lower & more controlled at the lowest frequencies. The advantage/disadvantage to porting is that you get that theoretical +3dB bump in output, while losing that control & low frequency extension.

I can model a ported vs. sealed later today if you are a visual kinda person.

Wow. I have more port area for a single 8 than you do for a pair and would encourage more.
Yup, that's why I'll be rebuilding the box, lol. This box started off as a sealed box. But porting it got me from 135.8 to 139.6. It's basically going to be the same design, but I'm going to make the box deeper & face the ports up. Remember, this is the wife's car. So I'm not going crazy with it. Just getting it to the point that the subs will be fine & function properly.

Ported enclosures have a very steep high pass filter associated with them after the tuning frequency. In some of our worlds, deep = below 30Hz, nearing inaudible, while most consider it deep when it is in the 30-40 cycle range.

A sealed enclosure for all intensive purposes will extend lower & more controlled at the lowest frequencies. The advantage/disadvantage to porting is that you get that theoretical +3dB bump in output, while losing that control & low frequency extension.

I can model a ported vs. sealed later today if you are a visual kinda person.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. In this case, given the added power from the SAE-1500D (vs the SAX-100.2), I think I'll go with a sealed enclosure for both.

Your box will be teeny then as well. I do think it is your best route.

Scott thanks for clarifying, I should have given more detail but thought that fuzzy knew the alignment differences and was just going to do something extreme with tuning which in particular on those small boxes is really tough ;)