Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Regular Cab sub options

Hello. I was looking for a 12" sub that has good SQ, and quite a bit SPL. It will be going in a regular cab truck, with a box that will have between 1.1 and 1.6 cubes. The amp (still unsure) will probably put out 1000 rms, or more. I was not planning on doing any kind of electrical mod (extra battery, etc...)( maybe the Big 3?). I was thinking either the Q or the BL. Could someone tell me there opinion on wut they think would be good for me?

The Q would be great, but at the very least to big 3 in 1/0 gauge.

I was skeptical to put in another battery, but when i replaced my stock with an Optima Red Top is was very impressed, and it was only like $180.

Sounds like you have plenty of volume for a 12, however my main concern with this scenario is how much mounting depth you have to work with?

Thanks

-Nick

If its a close fit, you could always cut out a circle a little larger than the magnet, on the back of the box, and then fiberglass over that. That would give you more depth and you wouldn't have to worry about cooling issues, but only if its a tight squeeze in the first place.

I will have about 7 to 7.5 inches of mounting depth. Since it's going to be sealed, will the BL be an option. Will the BL give me more SPL. Also, the amp that I was looking at is the Kenwood KAC-9103D,which says to have 1200 rms at 1 ohm.

Sealed and output aren't exactly the same, but for the space you have you don't really have a choice.

How is the SSA ICON compared to the Q? I can get the ICON for 249, while the Q is 259. Also, what is the mounting depth on the ICON?

BL is out of the question... they dont like sealed. But I could see a 1.6 cuft "ported" enclosure with a BL12 using a single 4 " Aeroport externally side firing. Id shoot that towards the drivers side to load in the corner. Should work well and have plenty of output for the space. More so than a sealed Q would. The BLs have a little more motor strength and can be shoved into smaller ported enclosures than the Q could ported.

Thanks! I am actually now looking into building a 3 cube ported box behind the seat (yes, there is room to go up to 4 cubes). I've got a friend that recently put 4 jl 12W7 in the bed of his truck pointing toward the cab(insanely loud) but he is now regreting getting them once I showed him the BTL's for a little more than half of what he paid for the w7's. Oh well, I guess you live and you learn.

Oh, and how is the ICON compared to the Q or BL?

Edited by Miles

Does anyone know how an ICON would compare to a BL in a 2.5-3 cube box tuned to 32 hrz, with 1000 watts going to it? Also, since I am on a tight budget, would it be better for me to get a BL with a Hifonics 1600 watt amp, or the SSA package with an ICON and a Sundown 1000 watt amp?

How would you compare an ICON to a BL in a 2 cube 32 hrz. box.

The ICON is an SQ first sub, the BL is an output first sub. Scott said the BL is not the one for your install, I think the Q sounds like the one.

He said the Q would be for me if my enclosure was sealed. However, I am planning on building a 2 cube ported box tuned to 32 hz. Would the Q still be the way to go, even though I'm going ported?

Anyone? Would this be a good amp, or should I just go with the Hifonics 1600?

Anyone? Would this be a good amp, or should I just go with the Hifonics 1600?

What VC configuration will you be using? Looks like this one is stable down to 2 ohms so as long as you are getting dual fours or a single two ohm voice coil, it will be fine...at least very comparable to the Hifonics.

Thanks for the responce. I would probably be getting a dual 1ohm vc, since, correct me if im wrong, can hook them together to make it 2 ohms?

Sign in to follow this