yenwen

Ok guy I give up

AudioQue HD 15" off a Sundown 1500D in 4.5cubes @ 35Hz will give you what you want. Plenty of other combos will, but that's one I've personally used/heard.

And I'd consider this a good "average joe" system...

I wouldn't consider that a "system" at all.

Not even a substage as their is no stage with an omnidirectional source. It is just an amp and subwoofer only meant to play from 20-50hz or so, a whopping octave and a half.

Well I "assumed" he was only interested in sub/amp combos since that's what he was asking about originally. Obviously it's not a complete set up and also isn't for everyone, but it seems to be what he's looking for, so I'm just throwing out some combinations that'll work.

We tend to forget that not everyone is looking for the ultimate in SQ, and that "your" set up may not be what someone else wants or meet their goals.

Trust me I've built plenty of boxes for guys and when they pick them up I usually get to hear what they're running and 99% of the time it's obnoxiously loud tweeters and boomy bass, but that's the "sound" they want, so who am I to disagree.

2000watts is more than enough to get loud with the right sub/box if that's what you're after. Not SPL comp loud, but plenty for a daily driver.

Seems as if we've only confused him more instead of offering some guidance/advice that will help him make the right decisions and pick the right equipment to meet his goals...

You have never seen me push "my" setup on anybody, for people running active I have sure put my 2 cents in on drivers but never have I only give what I have as an option. I always try to never offer a single solution either. The OP has never really stated what he wants clearly other than his goals which are WAY out of his budget. Offering a solution that won't meet his goals isn't right either and that is exactly what you offered. Do look back and realized that he asked for SQ first. My goal was to educate the fact that isn't really what he wants and his other goals conflict with it. If you don't look at all of the information you will never be able to help someone out in a way that really helps them. People may just offer options on other crap audio websites, but we really try to tailor a solution for the poster and not just some subjective response based on what is in our vehicles. I could careless about average Joe here we are trying to help yenwen. It is funny too since he never called a subwoofer/amp a system, that is just something you did.

ok... well i guess i'm far more noob than i ever thought i was. apparently SQ and SPL mean different things to you guys. Maybe it might help me if you broke it down for me. And yea I will be going out to look at speakers I need to find a good shop in OC that has a cars to show me or something. and what is substage? frontstage?

Edited by yenwen

Substage basically speaks for itself. It's the subs and the amps that are used to power your subs.

Your front component sets or front speakers and its amps are generally referred to as your front stage.

I may have been a bit too general. If someone feels as if I was too general or left something out please correct me.

M5, nothing I said was directed directly towards you, sorry if you took it that way, so please unbunch your panties :P

Not even going to bother responding to the rest of your post as it does nothing to help the OP...

The OP needs to figure out what he wants, because all the advise in the world isn't going to figure it out for him.

P.S. There are plenty of members in the OC on DIYMA with excellent SQ setups, I'd advise posting over there. I hate telling someone to go somewhere else for this type of thing, but we don't have any members I can think of off the top of my head in that area.

M5, nothing I said was directed directly towards you, sorry if you took it that way, so please unbunch your panties :P

Not even going to bother responding to the rest of your post as it does nothing to help the OP...

You aren't going to hurt my feelings, I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't take your advice as golden considering it wasn't.

I want to thank you guys so much in helping me out. Apparently car audio system is much more than just subs and an amp. One thing I know is that I'm not going after any kind of competition system. The part about being loud is just I want my bass to travel. Most of the time I just want to have good music. What's DIYMA? You guys are right I have a lot to learn and I need to listen to what's out there. I'm not looking to spend over 1k on my sound system just cuz most of it won't be transferable to another car. I don't have plans on switch out my car for many years but the fact that it's already over 140k mileage I don't know how much longer it'll last.

I want my front stage to be warm and clear and clean. I want my sub to hit clean bass. If I find out what DIYMA is I'll definitely put a post there to see if I can check out some people's set ups and how much they spent so I can have a better idea about where to go.

Thank you for your patience and please continue to school me on all of your car audio knowledge.

www.diymobileaudio.com

Good site for driver reviews & install logs, but you do have to take what some members say with a grain of salt.

You aren't going to hurt my feelings, I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't take your advice as golden considering it wasn't.

Had no intentions of trying to hurt anyone's feelings. And my advice for sub/amp was one of many combos that would give him what he "appeared" to want, but he does seem rather confused, so perhaps it wouldn't.

Why do you seem to have a problem with my opinion not being the same as yours as that's not usually your MO on here...

mlstrass had my direction right. But M5 helped point things out that i needed more that just a substage. I'm definitely interested in what subs/box/amp combo will make a great sub-stage. But I do want to hear my music so getting a front stage is absolutely essential. So help in both would be optimal.

Since you want loud from your subs, first off you need to figure out exactly how much space you have for a box in cubic feet.

mls -- you have pm

Since you want loud from your subs, first off you need to figure out exactly how much space you have for a box in cubic feet.

mls -- you have pm

Well, I figure I can sacrifice 2.5cubic feet plus or minus some. like i said in my first post 1 12 or 2 10s

Well I wasn't looking to port 2 12's was looking to port a single 12 or 2 10's if it's not possible to do two 10's ported since i'm leaning towards two 10's unless i can get a 12 mag d2.

Ok, if I have to have more power to have a loud sub and apparently 1500-2000watts is going to be what I need to have a good woofer. What's a good budget amp? or just a good performing amp. Like I said earlier I want to maintain the same quality as the PPI PCX that I currently have.

It seems to be Loud SQ.

Just a suggestion but if you are worried about swapping the speakers in the car soon when you bail on it, maybe you can go midrange on those and leave them in? What you want to do is listen to some so you find the sound you like, like soft domes tend to be smoother and metal dome tweeters tend to be sharper and stronger at the top and so on....or however you want to compare them just so it is to your liking for what you listen to and the power level/price you need. I have had many that sounded respectable to me without breaking the bank but it can take some searching and M5 is right you need to hear them. Take your own music, something you are familiar with. If you run some kind of EQ you can adjust how they sound anyway if they are close. Then do your hammer sub and you can take that and the amps with you to the next car.

What are mid range? The car has a 3 way system 5 1/4'' in the kick panels, i think what looks like 2'' or 2 1/2'' in the doors along with like a 1'' tweet so which one is mid range? I know for a fact that i hate metal dome tweets too sharp and cold. I like my music to be warm and smooth. been going around to best buys, circuit city, and those places to check out speakers... not that i'm proud of that but it's kinda hard to get a meet going on DIYMA. They want to do it on Oct 20. I want to hear some stuff before then. Any suggestions that'll at least point me in the right direction?

Sorry I was not clear, I mean midrange price. Then leave them in the car instead of having to take them out if that is an issue....I mean I don't get fancy with stuff if I am dropping the car soon; I make it easy to take out, no custom stuff, use a sub box that comes out, mount amps easy to pull, often put factory size drivers in so I can swap them back or not put the effort into custom installing a different size. I don't mind taking stuff out but if you don't have the time and place to do it then...well its up to you, anyway you want to do it just a suggestion.

I like my Boston comps, they are smooth and some of the most expensive I have used in a while. They are the better ones, I think the sx not sure now. Funny how I want to swap them for home drivers though...they don't want to make enough bass but its the 5x7 size, I want to run 8s in front. Going to deaden the doors though and see what that does. I like Infinity too they usually run soft domes but the cheaper line blows under abuse and don't always have good bass response. Depends on what you do with them. I've had some older kenwood comps that were good others that were not, most were bright and good for installs that needed that. Best to take the time and pain to listen for yourself. The high dollar stuff is great to use, I just hardly ever do with my stuff because what I find is good enough...I have a lot of other things (many are toys) going on that consumes income so I sort through the average stuff to find something that works.

Your midrange speaker is the 5.25 or 6.5....I would always go as big as will fit. Did not mean to be confusing on that.

Note I have 4 12" IB in this car, a big reason why I am not getting enough mid bass.

Edited by sqguyib

With one 12" IB you would be lacking midbass if you only have 5x7s