Sign in to follow this  
drwang84

Will there ever be an Fi 8" driver?

Hi Everyone,

I originally thought there was a problem with the subwoofer in my Expedition so I got an 8" RE re subwoofer on ebay to replace the oem. And this 8" RE8 is the single voice coil version, made back when Scott was in charge =). When I swapped the drivers, unfortunately I found out that it was the amp that was the problem. I opened the amp up and took some pictures of the guts. I didn't see any physical damage. Although I did find a piece of small plastic loose, but the weird thing is that it didn't look like it came from inside the amp.

Here are the pics:

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

Anyways, back on topic,... will there ever be an 8" driver. I understand they don't market or sell very easily. But hey, maybe 8" drivers will make a comeback one day in stealth installs or something.

No offense to you at all, but I've seen CD players that have more substantial electronics than that :)

lollers

If you want an 8m get an Rli8 they are beasts and an awesome driver.

The Ascendant line will/does have an 8...

As of right now we're not going to do one in the very near future...but off in the distance just about anything is a possibility :) .

Thanks

-Nick

Just for my own clarification, what exactly are the benifits of an 8. I have heard of people usin them for mids....is that right? I have never even seen one, so am curious.

Just for my own clarification, what exactly are the benifits of an 8. I have heard of people usin them for mids....is that right? I have never even seen one, so am curious.

They are small and generically fit in small sealed boxes. Other than that it is a sub and losing Sd means less output.

No offense to you at all, but I've seen CD players that have more substantial electronics than that :)

Haha no offense taken. It's my dad's SUV and this is supposed to be the Mach 1 PREMIUM sound upgrade. Talk about rip-off. And get this, I called up Ford to order a replacement and they are charging $150 for this amp. Called the junkyard too and they are selling for $148. Luckily I found someone on craigslist that will sell it to me for $30. Otherwise I could get a line-out converter and use a footprint aftermarket amp. But since I do want to keep the SUV stock looking, since we take out the back seats to use for hauling. I'll take some pics when it's gone I guess haha.

Also, I've thought about upgrading to a beefy 8" sub however there it couldn't be done with the stock enclosure since the mounting depth was 2".

Sign in to follow this