avalonasty3627

Capacitor ques.

This is my setup and i need advice to see if i need a capacitor or not.

2001 toyota avalon xl

2 Type r's 1222d

Kicker zx1000

Kenwood double din headunit

This is my first system and the people at the electronics store said that i need a cap but i cannot be sure.

I dont know how to do the big three upgrade.

My question: Do i need a capacitor and if i dont have one will my lights be dim?

and Will the alternator and battery be able to handle the power without sacrificing the dimming of lights and other electrical problems?

i think the alternator gives out 80 amps stock and with the car on it is between 13.5-14.5V

thanks

a second battery would do you better than a cap. yes at full tilt your lights might dim and a large enough cap would fix that problem but a second battery would also fix that problem and more. so if your lights are dimming get a second batt

What size of wiring are you planning on running from the battery up front to the amplifier?

For 1000w or so you could get away with 4awg, but if you're like the rest of us.. you'll want more eventually. So upgrade to 1/0awg now.

Also, the Big 3 is the most valuable upgrade you could even think about doing. Put that before any other electrical upgrade you do. It's cheap, easy and will increase voltage flow.

As people have said before me, you don't need a capacitor. I doubt you'll even need an extra battery for that little power. You could upgrade the underhood battery to something a little bigger/better, but combined with the wiring upgrades I mentioned.. that should be all you need for your current system.

yea thank you very much that helped alot.

I jus hav a few more ques...do i need this?

This is what they said i need for install:

4 Ga. amp kit- $90

20 ft expert RCA cable $50

and the install itself costs $320...and where can i go to get the big three done, cause i hav no clue about how to do anything under the hood.

yea thank you very much that helped alot.

I jus hav a few more ques...do i need this?

This is what they said i need for install:

4 Ga. amp kit- $90

20 ft expert RCA cable $50

and the install itself costs $320...and where can i go to get the big three done, cause i hav no clue about how to do anything under the hood.

for the amp kit i would recommend knukonceptz.com 4 awg amp kit is about half the price u listed and the rca cable included in it.

Edited by Yang

yea i know it seems like bs but here is the estimate for install:

install head unit- $50

install amp- $60

Hourly rate for customer-$150

1 hour labor-$60

Shop Supplies- $5

$320, holy shart is that for real? I do all my own stuff but you could buy a lot of equipment for 3 bills plus. I think I would shop around some more and at least find a place that tosses in some lube at that price.

where do u live? ill install it for 300 even... lol the shop i work at wouldnt charge 200 for that install (im pretty sure)

theres always talk that capacitors dont help, some say that it does, kinda gets confusing. In my last car (03 civic), i tried a capacitor just for the h3ll of it and it stopped my headlights from dimming almost completely. worked in that case. :popcorn:

theres always talk that capacitors dont help, some say that it does, kinda gets confusing. In my last car (03 civic), i tried a capacitor just for the h3ll of it and it stopped my headlights from dimming almost completely. worked in that case. :popcorn:

But it didn't do jack for your stereo.

Caps are not a big mystery....they only hold enough power for a number of milliseconds. If that much fixes your headlight dimming then it worked fine. But no, they will never keep your voltage from falling if your wiring/alt/batteries can't keep up with demand of your system....so they will never make it louder in normal use. And right, if your voltage is falling and you are losing wattage...you are losing it even though your headlights may not be pulsating. I'm going to try a jumper or the battery out of one, but I don't seem to even have much headlight dim with the 700.5 in there right now. I would like it to hammer for a little bit with the car off though, does not take long to kill it. With my limited wattage and this little car I don't want a second car battery if I can help it. (but that is the best way)

Edited by sqguyib