Lord Baccus

my SQ boxx

Cool :)

so its not possable to set it up for SQ during the week and switch out boxxs and do Spl on the weekend?

i dont have any equipment for testing Sq but Justin does...

where should i start ?

front doors ? kick pods ?

2000 explorer

and i have no idea how to set the Alpine 9887 i need a lawer to deciffer the manual, its way more control than i expected

can i get it setup to sound decent during the week days?

i need help setting the crossover points etc etc etc...

i read the manual but do not understand what it is asking me for when setting it up...

Edited by Lord Baccus

Mostly you have to train your ear. The crossover setting takes a long time even if you know what you are doing.

As I stated earlier, since SPL is just subs you could surely have an SQ install and then swap out the sub amp & boxes for burps.

Mostly you have to train your ear. The crossover setting takes a long time even if you know what you are doing.

As I stated earlier, since SPL is just subs you could surely have an SQ install and then swap out the sub amp & boxes for burps.

sweeeeeeeeeeeet :)

i have never been in a studio, so i guess my misunderstanding comes from only seeing bands live :slayer:

i need someone that knows what there doing to go over my explorer with me and make sugestions

I'll make one... if you want SQ... start over.

i dont know how to SQ so starting over would be just as desterious

i need help.

is anything i have salvegeable?

I'd say start with the front stage; drivers and placement. That would be a good start, that is what you hear the most and thus very important.

The assumption that SQ can't be loud is totally wrong.

Agreed , they test linearity of systems for a reason. :)

when someone can blend a substage that's capable of 150db, without pinpointing where the subs are and the staging is correct, with a front stage that can keep up, then that would be SQXtream.

From the way you've described it, it's just plain SQ.

The assumption that SQ can't be loud is totally wrong. I don't know where people get that idea from, maybe the basshead crowd hears us listening to something other than rap and assumes SQ is for the dainty and weak :D

If I want to reproduce what the London Symphony Orchestra sounds like at fortissimo, that sure isn't going to be very quiet :)

true, but i have yet to see anyone in an sq setting capable of 150. most are in the 135-145 area. and yes, every sq competition i've seen is done sealed up, on the dash for the spl measurement. so i'm sure when done outlaw, a few are approaching, if not surpassing, 150.

but i think if someone is going to try and coin a term like SQXtreme, it needs to mean something hard, almost impossible to do. so maybe 160db plus with proper staging? and no switching of enclosures?

and LB, i'm a basshead myself. any box tuned at 36hz isn't sq anything. especially for 15s. tune low 20s, then talk to someone. i had a real long soapbox reply here, but i'll save it. please quit tugging on the man's cape though. it is you who are having a hard time taking constructive critisism. ///m5 is just putting it plainly.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'll simplify the definition for you.

To have an SQ or SQextreme system your midbass must play as loud as your subwoofer and your subwoofer cannot be crossed higher than 50hz (yes there are exceptions like stereo subs up front, but I am trying to be general here). Yes there are other things necessary, but this is Step 1.

You have to start your install over, again this isn't about equipment but the install and in that regard you have failed miserably. Not sure why you care though you claim to not be able to hear and like music a certain way so why are you trying to do it differently. Even worse, why are you trying to force your view of what something is onto others without really knowing what the hell you are talking about?

The assumption that SQ can't be loud is totally wrong.

Agreed , they test linearity of systems for a reason. :)

The Sanford & Son IASCA test :D

Don't know if you guys are old enough to remember ( they may still I don't know ) IASCA metering SPL , and scoring it for SQ. While they were doing this , it was a common practice to run a heavily powered pair of subs for the sole purpose of the spl test. :)

The last thing along those lines that I can remember is when they gave you points for SPL and the highest score you could possibly receive was given if you had 135dB or higher. SPL below 135dB naturally did not earn you the full number of points available in the SPL category.

Had to hit 130 correct?

Yep the last IASCA car I built ( several years ago ) that was the number to receive full points. You got 10 points for 130, and bonus points to 135 but nothing over. Spent 6 months turning a back seat of a grand am into an ap enclosure for a pair of PPI 15's. The car had over 5kw in it ( 2kw on the subs alone ) , and would do a 136 on the audiocontrol meter. But come time for sq judging, only one sub was used. :)

Hit 133.6 @ 32Hz with my IB sub, and didn't push it that hard because I'm still not sure how hard I can before I overexert it.

Only way I know with IB is when yout hit xmax you are done and can cause damage after that. So you have to observe them at wot. Different amps have different amounts of control.

These days I wouldn't worry about the amp so much...they all can control what you need.

(within reason as it can't be complete shit)

with front staging in mind where should i position the mids ? tweeters ?

in an Explorer ?

stock location ?

kick pods ?

someone out there has an explorer and is doing SQ :)

True i am partially def but people that ride with me can hear well...

and i know a lot about SPL & nothing of SQ so learning something new never hurts :domoslay:

Sq is similar to spl in a few ways. Every vehicle is different , what works in one may not work so well in another in terms of both sq and spl. Even supposed identical vehicles. With SPL, hard core guys will build multiple ( I haven't competed in 5 years and still have 15-20 spl enclosures from my truck ) enclosures to test with until they find the right recipe. SQ guys will sit in there cars for days on end listening to different aiming positions for different drivers until they find their recipe. :)

i know i do not like it when people put the tweeters on the a pillers above the eye line

i think the tweeters should be within 6inchs of the mids for proper imaging.

someone let me know where i should start ?

should i do away with the read speakers ?

concentrate on a strong front stage ?

this is what iv gathered from stalking the sq threads... :peepwall:

i know i do not like it when people put the tweeters on the a pillers above the eye line

i think the tweeters should be within 6inchs of the mids for proper imaging.

someone let me know where i should start ?

should i do away with the read speakers ?

concentrate on a strong front stage ?

this is what iv gathered from stalking the sq threads... :peepwall:

SQ just like SPL is full of myths as well . Just like the one you suggested. Mids and tweets don't always have to be together. I have about 4 feet between my mids and tweets . Close your eyes and get in my car. I bet you pink slips you can't tell what is where without looking.

You can get a pretty good idea of what kicks would sound like in your vehicle by wiring up a couple drivers in the kick area. Then laying them on some towels to cover the backs ( keep the front and back wave seperated ) then play with the aiming. I would love to be able to tell you where to start, it's just not that simple. :)

godda give me a lil credit for trying :)

ill call Rod Gren tonight and see if he has any suggestions :)

hes won a few finals in Sq

and also i can call Todd Zier :)

there both great guys willing to help

http://www.interrel.com/zierbox/

Edited by Lord Baccus

Not only is every vehicle different, but every driver. There are no rules that you have to follow, it really has to be up to your ears. Trying different aimings for hours and hours is the only real way to get it right.

the Alpine's manual should be able to tell you how to set it to allow active capabilities