Xibalba

super dumb question about trunk installs

I have NEVER in my life owned a car, esp one with a trunk. I love bass but need room for storage, so I am thinking of putting a single 12" Fi BTL back there (charger). Will 1 12" sub ported be enough?? Will I be better off going with 2 10" BL's ported instead? I know this is a super dumb question, but I want to plan everything out perfectly before I start buying stuff. Thanks.

Edited by Xibalba

Maybe, depends on what you want. Could you ask a more subjective question?

What are your friends running? Any systems that you've seen and like?......

This will give us a better understanding of what you want. It's very difficult for someone to tell you what is best for your install. If you can give examples of what you like and don't like, this forum will guide you in the right place. I could tell you to put a single 8" in the trunk or 4 18"s in the passenger seat, but I don't know what the goal is for your vehicle. :drink40::cookiemonster:

th_002-12.jpg

Not to jump subject, but that sounded excellent, what kind of mids and highs are you running?

the tweet's i'd rather not say (lol cheap short story) mli-65's for mids in the doors crossed at 90hz and 3.3khz and the tweets are crossed at 3.3khz up using an audiocontrol 2xs with freq. mod chips. it needs a litttle work, but i'm happy with it so far.

th_002-12.jpg

Not to jump subject, but that sounded excellent, what kind of mids and highs are you running?

how can you possibly get "that sounded excellent" from that? you were hearing your computer speakers....

my bad, guess i could have been a little more in depth. I want a daily driver that can get very loud and still save some space in the trunk. I am trying to figure out which of the two above will give me the most bang for my buck, 2 10's or a single 12", both in ported enclosures. THe two subs I am looking at are listed in my first post. I am not even looking a mids/highs at this point. I listen to everything from heavy metal and techno to rap and R&B, i like it all. I love feelin some nice vibrations though. Choice of amps are in the air right now, I will buy one based on what will be installed.

my bad, guess i could have been a little more in depth. I want a daily driver that can get very loud and still save some space in the trunk. I am trying to figure out which of the two above will give me the most bang for my buck, 2 10's or a single 12", both in ported enclosures. THe two subs I am looking at are listed in my first post. I am not even looking a mids/highs at this point. I listen to everything from heavy metal and techno to rap and R&B, i like it all. I love feelin some nice vibrations though. Choice of amps are in the air right now, I will buy one based on what will be installed.

Good luck hearing your stock speaks if you buy a 12" BTL. Buy a sub, and only use 1% of it's potential so it'll blend in with your fronts. Why not port a 12" BL? BTL's are SPL fart machines. Does your car have the electrical to power an amp that outputs the 2k watts a BTL needs? Why not step down to a 12" ported BL, run 1K ish watts to it and call it a day. Or do a 15" Q sealed, it will sound good and the larger speaker size will still get loud. When you realize you don't need a very loud sub to blend with your fronts, you'll love the fact that the 15 will barely have to move to make sound and sound amazing.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I have 4 12" infinity in my back seat IB and it gives plenty of vibrations....it is too much for SQ daily driving. At least with the kicker 700.5 if I turn the subs near clipping (420wrms) I can hardly hear the high side and the car shakes. But it ends up sounding like * on most music because all I hear is the subs and can never hammer them listening to music. The amp sub gain is around 1/3 and if I turn up the crossover gain it still washes everything out. I never installed the bass remote. So I am thinking of two 15s that are more efficient, they would fit nicely, and have a new-ish 350rms class D to try. Maybe it will not work, but that is half the fun isn't it.....(going to change up the high side too of course)

IB is a different game and may or may not be for you. It does hit 30Hz nice though.

Here is pics of when I put it in, have plenty of trunk room. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...st&p=272509

Edited by sqguyib

:)

Your IB does look nice, I hear they can be a pain in the butt to setup at times though, with sealing off the rear deck and such. That was something I was hoping to avoid. Plus, I know I will get some gruff for this one, I kinda like rear fill and wanna keep my rear speakers. I know that destroys the whole point of a front stage, but I like being surrounded by music. IB setups are great, but I think they aren't really my cup of tea. My girl has a very small sealed setup, 2 12" P2's whereas I have always had the P3's ported....I think I like how loud the P3's can get. If I wanna listen to some heavy metal or something, I could just turn the bass down a bit. I love the vibrations. However, you are right with the BTL, after researching some more I think it is more of a farter than anything. At this point, I am looking at a 12" BL or 2 10" BL's, not to sure which I wanna go with. The single 12" will use almost a cube less than the 2 10's, so it may end up being that. Plus, from what people are saying, a single BL can get hella loud, probably more than both my P3's combined, which is what I am really looking for.

...I want a daily driver that can get very loud and still save some space in the trunk....

With that said I say its really just a question of how much space you want to give up. Figure that out, find one/two of the biggest woofers you can fit with that airspace ported, comfortably, and go with it

Yeah, I was playing with some measurments and I came up with about 4.5 cu ft of area before displacement, so I am just gonna start planning from there.

I did have to tear the car up a bit to get to the metal, but it was not that bad. Had to look under the car and make sure I didn't screw into anything important you know, like the gas tank under the seat....but the baffle is over the rear suspension so it is all open. As far as sealing it, I put weather strip on the wood and laid peel and stick all the way around it and over the deck. Part of the deck is sealed with the baffle frame. Cutting the angles was a little work, would have been easy to go two 15s to start with and put them right in the seat not a larger baffle like that.....but I thought four 12s would be sweet, and they are. See if I put different 12s in, I can still mount amps in the center. If I go 15s I have to find a new place.

As far as tuning, I have a g190 alpine and the parametric has really made it so much more tunable. Now have it so the bass is punchy and it thunders at 30Hz too....hard to do without that control but possible if you keep swapping components. My HU is older and does not have any processing....yet. They move a ton of air, but your power on them is limited to around half of rms rating....but they will near xmax at that point. I'm sure a subsonic would help some too, I have one at 15Hz but it does not make much difference at this power level as I'm not punishing them.

If you have room for a box and like boxes, go for it. I like IB when I have a vehicle I can use it in, the boxes I like are huge is seems and right now I don't have room for little boxes I had to keep taking it out.

th_002-12.jpg

how can you possibly get "that sounded excellent" from that? you were hearing your computer speakers....

True, but ive been looking to do a active setup with the Mach 5 mids and thats prob the only vid I have seen them playing in. True enough Im listening through computer speakers (headphones actually), I was not sure that they would produce midrange that well (knowing that they are midbass machines). I just commented on how I felt it sounded to me.

I'd say it depends on ur car.

My Town car doesn't like to get loud, lol

Compared to say a coupe or regular sized sedan..

I guess with my town cars though it's like a big ass wall is in the trunk and only a small space that leads into the cabins back seats.

Whats the first and the last song playing in that video ?.. first one is something with danity kane, and the last one is something by jeezy.. any help :-)