Sign in to follow this  
muzikmaddness

Sound advice

Hello guys. I'm just another audio fanatic trying to look see whats the best route for my goals. I am definitely looking and wanting SQ, I'm just not sure about which brands work, and what brands to stay away from. Also, I'm looking into upgrade my amp, but I guess overall, looking for a system thats not too taxing on the electrical system.

Looking at the FI Q's, seem to be very tempting.

My vehicle is an 01 tahoe.. Currently, I have a beginners system... Kappa Inifinity Comps w/ jl 4 channel, 2 punch HE's in a sealed box(dont flame, I did't know any better) w/ old pioneer amp, and a poineer h/u...

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated... Thanks..

If you truly want SQ you should shop for your sub last as it will be the least important part of your install.

If you truly want SQ you should shop for your sub last as it will be the least important part of your install.

Thanks for the reply. Just by doing some homework, it seems like the Sundown amps are getting some good reviews from customers. Do you have suggestions on amps?

If you're truly wanting an SQ install, there are others that you should look into for amping.

If you're on a budget however and want to run an active front stage, you can't beat the price/performance of the SAX-100.4.

If you're truly wanting an SQ install, there are others that you should look into for amping.

If you're on a budget however and want to run an active front stage, you can't beat the price/performance of the SAX-100.4.

What are some efficient SQ amps worth looking at?

How many amp channels total will you need?

Arc Audio seems right in your price range. DLS as well, but they'll be towards the upper half of that $800 peak.

I just need a mono sub amp. I not picky, but just want an amp that can do the job... I noticed that some people are leaning toward running one sub versus two. Whats the difference between running one 15 veresus two 12's? Is there really an SQ advantage with either set-up?

I think you are missing the point completely. In an SQ install the subs don't really matter, when you are only playing your sub/s from 20-45hz or so it really isn't that big of a deal. The real question is what are you blending it with. If you haven't determined the front stage and amplification all this sub talk is useless and you surely can't talk about an SQ advantage between setups. If either setup can overpower your fronts (which I am sure both) could either will be fine and I would choose the lesser setup to save dough for the front stage.

I think you are missing the point completely. In an SQ install the subs don't really matter, when you are only playing your sub/s from 20-45hz or so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Now, to answer your question, I'm blending Kappa Infinity Comps pushed by a JL 4 channel amp. Now, one thing I really don't understand, is your statement. Subs really don't matter? Thats a new one I haven't heard before.. :puzzled:

He means that when the subs only have to play a small portion of the frequency range, they're not what you should be focusing your attention on.

You're front speakers play over 85% of the frequencies heard. That is what you should be asking about in an SQ install.

Thanks for the clarification!!! That does make sense. M5, I do apologize if my response seemed to be sarcastic, but I guess I should have phrased my question differently in the aspects of having a SQ system.

Now, with that out of the way, I'm open to any and all suggestions in regards to front stage, subs and amp.

For the money? MB Quart PVF 216.

I've read in a german magazine (Autohifi) that it was right with the best.

Ranking in the Reference class with Focal Utopia Be, Brax Matrix, Rainbow CS Platinium, etc...

Heard it in a car and it was crisp and smooth as silk.

Another option would be Hertz Audio HSK 165, never heard it but have read really good reviews.

Going to come down to budget on the fronts. If you need an amp, fronts, and a sub for your $800 it is time to start compromising.

SQ nerds are a whole different breed. The average person doesn't care.....nor can tell if you have a perfectly balanced system. I believe this guys doesn't want to dump 300lbs of dynamat, some focal utopias and a weak sounding sealed box into his truck so he can go to shows and play pink noise, then hit a 117dB at the headrest. He most like wants to have a good sounding subwoofer system and highs that can make out the words. I could be wrong...but thats what I gather. SQ vehicles are very very over looked in the amount of work people put into them...the average joe thinks they are pretty to look at, but they can't get the WOW effect that Tommy M gets when he plays his truck HO PROMBLEMS(which is very far from a SQ setup). Since you have an SUV you have a lot of room to play with....how much room are you willing to give up for your sub system?

Robert Marks

SQ nerds are a whole different breed. The average person doesn't care.....nor can tell if you have a perfectly balanced system. I believe this guys doesn't want to dump 300lbs of dynamat, some focal utopias and a weak sounding sealed box into his truck so he can go to shows and play pink noise, then hit a 117dB at the headrest. He most like wants to have a good sounding subwoofer system and highs that can make out the words. I could be wrong...but thats what I gather. SQ vehicles are very very over looked in the amount of work people put into them...the average joe thinks they are pretty to look at, but they can't get the WOW effect that Tommy M gets when he plays his truck HO PROMBLEMS(which is very far from a SQ setup). Since you have an SUV you have a lot of room to play with....how much room are you willing to give up for your sub system?

Robert Marks

Not giving the guy much credit, are ya? :D

"Listening" to Tommy's truck at finals made me walk away from it :) I liked it better when it was off :P

Dang...I did give them the credit of alot of work and that they are overlooked. But you don't agree that for the most part the average person isn't looking for a true SQ setup? Uneducated?? Maybe on the true dynamics of a SQ vehicle, like balance and imaging..etc. I will never really care about SQ because I'm a bass head....give me a 60ft^3 7th order with 16 10s and some PA speakers for highs ;)

Y do people seem to get flamed all of a sudden on this site now whenever the term 'SQ' comes up?

I mean some people are uneducated, but i mean rob's comment didnt seem like a bad comment at all...

but thats my 2cents...however

I've never heard anything bad about the rainbow components and there not that exspensive...well i think someone on here had the hook up on them

Jason@arcaudio.com

soundline 6.5s

Contour5.25

Pro 4"

nothing was over 150$

But checkin my PM's that was back in 2005, lol

Sign in to follow this